Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Netcup introduces Reseller Hosting - Initial up to 25% discount recurring
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Netcup introduces Reseller Hosting - Initial up to 25% discount recurring

YmpkerYmpker Member
edited August 2019 in General

https://www.netcup-news.de/2019/08/12/attraktive-optionen-fuer-webagenturen-durch-neue-reseller-produkte-der-netcup/

Product: https://www.netcup.de/hosting/reseller-webhosting.php

They seem to limit number of client accounts from the get-go though. Seems like they are wary due to cPanels change.

Thanked by 2ITLabs pullangcubo

Comments

• biggest hope is that they allow monthly (prepaid) billing

• @cybertech said:
    biggest hope is that they allow monthly (prepaid) billing

It wouldn't be Netcup if it was flexible contracts, would it? Ofc minimum period is 12 months rn.. Didn't check before. Oh well, netcup again ruining the fun.

• @Ympker said:

@cybertech said:
    biggest hope is that they allow monthly (prepaid) billing

It wouldn't be Netcup if it was flexible contracts, would it? Ofc minimum period is 12 months rn.. Didn't check before. Oh well, netcup again ruining the fun.

perhaps its their unique compelling advantage....that they help customers avoid payment issues 6 months at a go for their vps lineup

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • TionTion Member
    edited August 2019

@Ympker said:
    Oh well, netcup again ruining the fun.

Also Python, Ruby und NodeJS locked behind their 4000 package.

Thanked by 2vimalware Ympker
  • you don't plan to be a reseller for one month, do you? otherwise I am already worried about your customers...

ofc you should be aware of the contractual terms - however billing is 3 monthly.

I think the reseller stuff mainly solves the problem with their conservative limit for 'external domains' in their normal webhosting packages, which often seemed a dealstopper, if you have your domains elsewhere already..

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Plesk, heh.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited August 2019

@Falzo said:
    you don't plan to be a reseller for one month, do you? otherwise I am already worried about your customers...

ofc you should be aware of the contractual terms - however billing is 3 monthly.

I think the reseller stuff mainly solves the problem with their conservative limit for 'external domains' in their normal webhosting packages, which often seemed a dealstopper, if you have your domains elsewhere already..

I don't. However being able to jump ship when things go south is easier with a monthly billing cycle. And, let's be honest: We've got enough good resellers around that can make cool offers along with monthly contract period. Not that I much doubt Netcup's performance though. Just a bit sad they again turned away from more flexible contract periods.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • @Tion said:

@Ympker said:
    Oh well, netcup again ruining the fun.

Also Python, Ruby und NodeJS locked behind their 4000 package.

That's pretty cool :)

• Likewise with their (shared) webhosting plans, these reseller plans are marketed as high-availability. With those prices, that's a nice deal, although I'm not sure about how good and effective their HA setup is.

• Does they still enforce their stupid verifications and manual setup on each order? I am talking for the rootserver and vps ranges.

• pullangcubo said: these reseller plans are marketed as high-availability.

What exactly does that mean though? Do they have a rep here who can explain / is it on their site anywhere?

Thanked by 1pullangcubo
  • @willie said:

pullangcubo said: these reseller plans are marketed as high-availability.

What exactly does that mean though? Do they have a rep here who can explain / is it on their site anywhere?

I did not see anything, maybe in their customer forum, however... there is nothing guarantued anywhere, so I would try to not interpret too much into that.

@gdarko said:
    Does they still enforce their stupid verifications and manual setup on each order? I am talking for the rootserver and vps ranges.

probably depends on where you are located etc. but yes, I'd expect it to be still that way. If you are afraid of those things, better look for another provider (or stay with hetzner ;-))

Thanked by 1pullangcubo
  • Leaving aside the standard NetCup/German providers practices (that aren't necessarily bad, but are not the norm), this seems to be the best value for money reseller as far as I can see. Only thing cheaper (at the same performance) is going to be colocation.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited August 2019

@AC_Fan said:
    Leaving aside the standard NetCup/German providers practices (that aren't necessarily bad, but are not the norm), this seems to be the best value for money reseller as far as I can see. Only thing cheaper (at the same performance) is going to be colocation.

I'd wonder about that. Sure, for personal use (node.js, python, ruby.. etc is nice to have) perhaps, but for reselling? Meh.. The 4,99€/mo plan allows you to have 50 GB SSD but only 5 clients. Tbh that isn't really reseller friendly. Most resellers would want to oversell or at least in the LET range offer smaller packages to many more customers than 5. Also 5 MySQL databases doesn't make this package more appealing. Perhaps I am getting this wrong and you can create more client accounts. But 5 doesn't seem so much to me.

• armandorgarmandorg Member, Host Rep

@Ympker said:

@AC_Fan said:
    Leaving aside the standard NetCup/German providers practices (that aren't necessarily bad, but are not the norm), this seems to be the best value for money reseller as far as I can see. Only thing cheaper (at the same performance) is going to be colocation.

I'd wonder about that. Sure, for personal use (node.js, python, ruby.. etc is nice to have) perhaps, but for reselling? Meh.. The 4,99€/mo plan allows you to have 50 GB SSD but only 5 clients. Tbh that isn't really reseller friendly. Most resellers would want to oversell or at least in the LET range offer smaller packages to many more customers than 5. Also 5 MySQL databases doesn't make this package more appealing. Perhaps I am getting this wrong and you can create more client accounts. But 5 doesn't seem so much to me.

5 good clients, not 5 LET clients.

Thanked by 2Ympker ITLabs
  • @Ympker If you get the smallest package, it's not that exciting, I agree. But the biggest one? I'm having a hard time beating it - 30 euro (23 right now) for 1TB SSD, 100 clients, 16GB RAM.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @AC_Fan said:
    @Ympker If you get the smallest package, it's not that exciting, I agree. But the biggest one? I'm having a hard time beating it - 30 euro (23 right now) for 1TB SSD, 100 clients, 16GB RAM.

The biggest is some good value. And don't get me wrong, for 5 "good (paying)" clients (as @armandorg pointed out) it's good, too. I just thought for the LET crowd it might prove difficult. But of course the biggest package gives you lots of value and might way less time consuming than managing and monitoring your own server.

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • armandorgarmandorg Member, Host Rep
    edited August 2019

@Ympker said:

@AC_Fan said:
    @Ympker If you get the smallest package, it's not that exciting, I agree. But the biggest one? I'm having a hard time beating it - 30 euro (23 right now) for 1TB SSD, 100 clients, 16GB RAM.

The biggest is some good value. And don't get me wrong, for 5 "good (paying)" clients (as @armandorg pointed out) it's good, too. I just thought for the LET crowd it might prove difficult. But of course the biggest package gives you lots of value and might way less time consuming than managing and monitoring your own server.

Let's say you buy the package, 50USD with 5 clients only, for 5 euros.

The best you would sell it to a LET person is 2 euro for 10 GB SSD space (this is pretty impossible aswell).

2 x 5 = 10 euros. So you're profiting 5 euros every month without the reseller account's costs.

Why hassle for this? What's the point? For one more extra cup of coffee per month?

• @armandorg said:

@Ympker said:

@AC_Fan said:

Let's say you buy the package, 50USD with 5 clients only, for 5 euros.

The best you would sell it to a LET person is 2 euro for 10 GB SSD space (this is pretty impossible aswell).

2 x 5 = 10 euros. So you're profiting 5 euros every month without the reseller account's costs.

Why hassle for this? What's the point? For one more extra cup of coffee per month?

I am neither charging this price nor have I said I do. All I'm saying is that this is LET and a lot of cheapos might not be be able to cater to their regular cheapo crowd with a client limit like that. Of course it's way less a hassle and more profitable to only have 5 clients who pay 20€+/mo for a managed solution for which you only pay a small part of the price you charge them. Regardless, on LET it is mostly the other way round, that is to say providers working with small margins in an oversaturated low end market.

• I just remembered that I have a year of free single-domain webhosting plan from netcup and decided to finally test it. Apparently, "external domains" (those that are not registered by netcup) doesn't come with nameserver services, which means that you have to have a third-party DNS set up for your external domain name and update the zone records with the info given by netcup.

I'm not sure if this is the same setup as with their reseller plans, but putting this here anyway just in case someone is looking.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @pullangcubo Unless I'm misunderstanding something, won't your domain registrar cover that?

• ^ Indeed it isn't really an issue since almost all registrars provide master NS services anyway.

It's just that for shared hosting, I'm used to just pointing my domain's nameservers to ns1.host.com and ns2.host.com and have the host automatically populate and manage its zone records.

• @AC_Fan said:

I noticed on details page the biggest package space is half for website and the other half for email but not sure was this fixed or flexible as I cannot understand the wiki nor the faq reference as they’ve it on German only as I surf with out using chrome.

• @gonaif said:

@AC_Fan said:

I noticed on details page the biggest package space is half for website and the other half for email but not sure was this fixed or flexible as I cannot understand the wiki nor the faq reference as they’ve it on German only as I surf with out using chrome.

You're viewing the shared hosting page, and the English site is .eu.

• Yeah I was switching to English site the .eu

https://www.netcup.eu/bestellen/produkt.php?produkt=2426

Web space: 500 GB SSD
    Mail space: 500 GB SSD

Just to make it easier for everyone and I will recheck it

• hzrhzr Member

wow and advertised as 1tb..

• @gonaif @hzr You're right, this is a lot less enticing now. I thought they stopped doing this, apparently not.

• @AC_Fan said:
    @gonaif @hzr You're right, this is a lot less enticing now. I thought they stopped doing this, apparently not

Ouch. If memory serves, they've also done this with VPS, correct? Displaying a misleading total amount of storage boldly, that is later split up. Of course you still get 1TB of storage in total but not free to use the way you want, as 500GB is dedicated to mail.

• AC_FanAC_Fan Member
    edited August 2019

@Ympker said:

@AC_Fan said:
    @gonaif @hzr You're right, this is a lot less enticing now. I thought they stopped doing this, apparently not

Ouch. If memory serves, they've also done this with VPS, correct? Displaying a misleading total amount of storage boldly, that is later split up. Of course you still get 1TB of storage in total but not free to use the way you want, as 500GB is dedicated to mail.

Yup, they showed storage as 4 x something in RAID10, when simply putting 2 x something would have saved everybody a lot of confusion. Now, even BuyShared/RamNode are close to this pricing, and of course a jumbo size colo will become profitable in a while.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • ImapFS? :trollface: