Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

3vCores, 30GB Storage, 2GB RAM From £2.99/m - Limited Stock - Add Storage VPS - £1.50/m
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

3vCores, 30GB Storage, 2GB RAM From £2.99/m - Limited Stock - Add Storage VPS - £1.50/m

KVM Doctor has the prescription for your VPS hosting ailments and goes the extra mile to ensure adequate on-going support is provided.
Add an exclusive 250GB HDD storage to your plan for only £1.50/m with a dedicated IP.

3vCores
30GB Storage
2GB RAM

Order UK - HDD|Unlimited@1gbps £2.99/m
Order UK - NVMe|Unlimited@1gbps £3.99/m
Order Germany - SSD|Unlimited@1gbps £3.49/m
Order France - HDD|Unlimited@250mbps £2.99/m
Order France - NVMe|Unlimited@1gbps £3.99/m
Order Finland - HDD|Unlimited@1gbps £2.99/m
Order Australia - HDD|1TB@250mbps £3.49/m
Order Singapore - HDD|1TB@100mbps £2.99/m
Order Canada - HDD|Unlimited@250mbps £2.99/m
Order Kansas City - HDD|Unmetered@1gbps £2.99/m
Order Kansas City - SSD|Unmetered@1gbps £3.49/m
Order Dallas - HDD|1TB@10gbps £3.49/m
Order Dallas - NVMe|1TB@10gbps £4.49/m

BONUS: Add a storage plan for £1.50/m only available with any of the plans above. There is a small amount of these available.

1vCore
256MB RAM
250GB HDD 
750GB Bandwidth @ 1gbps
1 IPv4

£1.50 Per Month. Can only be ordered with any of the plans above while stocks last.

FEATURES
7 Day Refund Included
Custom ISO Uploads
On Demand Backup (once monthly)
On Demand Restore (once monthly)
24-7 Support
Huge Library Of Available OS And ISOs
Nested Virtualisation
Scalable
DDoS Mitigation
Thanked by 2dahartigan hide1hide

Comments

• infoinfo Member

looks nice. no rdns and ipv6 ?

• Apologies for the slightly off topic question, but could you provide the contention ratios for the specs? Then we know how much of the system we really have and can stack up accordingly (I'm assuming these are stackable).

• 0kin0kin Member

I'm something new in this, how does the addon work? Is it added to the server or does it work separately?

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

I'm interested to buy one -and- I'd like to get access to one to run a quick benchmark (before buying) if that is OK with you.

Side note: normally I wouldn't jump at an offer like that but I have learned to trust HostDoc, so I'm ready to jump at it.

Thanked by 1HostDoc
  • @info said:
    looks nice. no rdns and ipv6 ?

rdns can be set by opening a ticket.
    IPv6 is only available in Dallas and Kansas City.

@AC_Fan said:
    Apologies for the slightly off topic question, but could you provide the contention ratios for the specs? Then we know how much of the system we really have and can stack up accordingly (I'm assuming these are stackable).

As always, each instance is allocated 25% CPU with the ability to burst for up to an hour a day.
    If abuse is detected we will throttle CPU usage to 25% permanently.

@0kin said:
    I'm something new in this, how does the addon work? Is it added to the server or does it work separately?

The add on is a completely different server located in Dallas with its own independant IPv4.

@jsg said:
    I'm interested to buy one -and- I'd like to get access to one to run a quick benchmark (before buying) if that is OK with you.

Side note: normally I wouldn't jump at an offer like that but I have learned to trust HostDoc, so I'm ready to jump at it.

Thank you.
    Which one are you interested in? I can give you an hour access if sufficient to run your bench.

Thanked by 1info

@HostDoc said:
    Thank you.
    Which one are you interested in? I can give you an hour access if sufficient to run your bench.

That's sufficient for a quick test, thank you.

• 0kin0kin Member

I just bought a server in kansas, I just tried it and it works very well, will there be a chance to increase more space on ssd disk or upgrade it?

Thanked by 1HostDoc
  • @0kin said:
    I just bought a server in kansas, I just tried it and it works very well, will there be a chance to increase more space on ssd disk or upgrade it?

You can scale resources at any time.
    You can also add a second HDD drive if you needed cheaper storage but would need to mount it.
    https://clientsarea.hostdoc.co.uk/cart.php?gid=12

Thanked by 10kin
  • Dayum. I sort of regret not waiting for this deal... but I guess it's fair that it's not expected. Anyway, nice offer Doc!

• popspops Member

@0kin said:

It seems to be a plugin that works alone.

Thanked by 10kin
    edited August 2019

OK, @HostDoc was friendly (as usual) and provided me with a test VPS of my choice. I chose the spindles based VPS in FR (Raided if I'm not mistaken). Here are the results:

Machine: amd64, Arch.: x86_64, Model: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-1650 v3 @ 3.50GHz
    OS, version: Linux 4.9.0, Mem.: 1.980 GB
    CPU - Cores: 3, Family/Model/Stepping: 6/63/2
    Cache: 32K/32K L1d/L1i, 256K L2, 15M L3
    Std. Flags: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat
              pse36 cflsh mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss sse3 pclmulqdq ssse3 fma cx16 pcid
              sse4_1 sse4_2 x2apic movbe popcnt tsc_deadline aes xsave osxsave avx
              f16c rdrnd hypervisor
    Ext. Flags: fsgsbase tsc_adjust bmi1 avx2 smep bmi2 erms invpcid syscall nx
              pdpe1gb rdtscp lm lahf_lm lzcnt

proc/mem/performance test single core   ->  341.89 MB/s
    proc/mem/performance test multi-core -- ->  1.14 GB/s
    --- disk test ---
    Sequential writing 551.23 MB/s
    Random writing     61.15 MB/s
    Sequential reading 5.106 GB/s
    Random reading     2.433 GB/s
    --- network test ---
    UK,LON (softlayer):  -> 200.8 Mb/s
    AU_MEL (softlayer):  -> 10.2 Mb/s
    IN,CHN (softlayer):  -> 9.8 Mb/s
    SG_SGP (leaseweb):   -> 25.8 Mb/s
    DE,FRA (softlayer):  -> 20.3 Mb/s
    IT,MIL (softlayer):  -> 31.9 Mb/s
    FR,PAR (softlayer):  -> 117.8 Mb/s
    RU_MOS (hostkey.ru): -> 312.1 Mb/s
    BR,SAO (softlayer):  -> 10.9 Mb/s
    US_DAL (softlayer):  -> 17.9 Mb/s
    US,SJC (softlayer):  -> 14.8 Mb/s
    US,WDC (softlayer):  Connection to speedtest.wdc01.softlayer.com timed out.
    JP,TOK (linode):     Connection to speedtest.tokyo.linode.com timed out.
    RO,BUC (vps2day.com):-> 40.2 Mb/s
    GR,UNK (otenet.gr):  -> 11.8 Mb/s
    NO,OSL (softlayer):  -> 38.9 Mb/s

Remarks:

This was just a quick benchmark to get an impression of what one can expect.
    So I did not investigate the network problems and didn't run series of tests but just one.

The CPU is absolutely OK, even fine for the low end segment and the fact that the multi core test is relatively close to 3 times the single core test suggests that the node isn't oversold or under stress.
    The disk performance is amazing considering that that VPS comes with spindles. The random writing results suggests that the node doesn't have heavy caching but pretty much "only" the Raid controllers cache. But keep in mind that my random writing and reading tests are quite hardcore and work not only with truly random data (each block written out is completely different from any other block) but also with random areas which are truly random and different at each access. So the low result for random writing is OK for spindles and the random reading result is actually quite good; I've seen a lot worse even with SSDs.

The network is a bit surprising. Mostly positive with 2 digits Mb/s (or very close to that) even to known to be problematic (from Europe) locations in the Far East is really fine for a low end VPS. What I find surprising though is that a VPS in FR has faster connectivity to UK, LON and even to RU, MOS than to another DC in France. And the DE, FRA results'is simply miserable considering that even the connection to Singapour is about 25% faster!

For the sake of fairness: I presume that those problems are just a temporary hiccup.

TL;DR : As, frankly expected from @HostDoc, a nice VPS for the price and even the "spinning rust" is quite close to SSD performance unless you use that VPS for heavy DB or similar, in which case I'd recommend an NVMe based VPS. All in all -> recommended.

Personal remark: Maybe it's just me but I regret that an SSD based version, which I consider the sweet spot in that price range, is only available in the german location.

P.S. I benchmarked based on my personal interest. In case many LETers are interested in another location or an NVMe VPS I'm willing to test that but, frankly, I will not stress HostDoc's patience and friendliness with many testing requests, so please come up with no more than one or two location/type wishes - well noted, that's just my position and I would understand it perfectly well if HostDoc felt that this one test is enough.

Edit/Warning: I just saw that the prices shown in OP are without VAT, so the real price is not 2.99 GBP but rather 3.56 GBP.

• @jsg - thanks for the review. Interesting network performance ... (and, though I imagine you may not suffer fools gladly - if I might suggest labeling the transfer rate as "Mbit/s" instead of "Mb/s" as a gracious accommodation for the cognitively impaired, that would be great!)

Also ... just one more comment germane to this here @HostDoc sales thread - it might be appropriate to re-edit your edit with regard to the "real price" - as you seem to be assuming VAT at 19% which would be correct for countries such as Germany and Austria, but not for most other EU countries (such as France, Italy, etc, etc). So - if I am understanding all this correctly - the "real price" would in fact be somewhat of a moving target, and thus somewhat challenging for the doc to specify as an exact final value without invoking that variable VAT percentage.

Thanked by 1ITLabs

@uptime said:
    ...VAT ...

VAT is about 20% all over EU-rope, give or take some percent. My point wasn't about precision but about the fact that the prices told by @HostDoc are net, so VAT must be added for the real price.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • I suppose I may just be too easily confused by the specific use of the definite article and a precise amount given as "the real price" ... But perhaps I should know better, living as we are in a world where nothing is real, and everything is possible. :)

Thanked by 2angstrom AuroraZ
  • angstromangstrom Moderator

@uptime said:
    I suppose I may just be too easily confused by the specific use of the definite article and a precise amount given as "the real price" ... But perhaps I should know better, living as we are in a world where nothing is real, and everything is possible. :)

Yes, you should know better :wink:

Thanked by 1uptime
  • uptimeuptime Member
    edited August 2019

Is it just me or is it getting hot in here? :blush:

Anyhoo ... Hey, how about these @HostDoc offers though ... that's some righteous ripping good stuff, eh!

EDIT2: and while my "real price" when paying this doctor's bill does not include VAT, I do get hit by an (approximately) 5% "paypal tax" due to their exchange rate shenanigans when paying proper £ pounds using my grubby yankee dollars (aka "legal tender for all debts public and private - and you better believe it!") ...

So I asked the doc, hey what's up with that?

Doc sez something along the lines of: "Oh, well ... don't do that then." :smiley:

Thanked by 2angstrom HostDoc
  • @uptime said:
    Is it just me or is it getting hot in here? :blush:

Anyhoo ... Hey, how about these @HostDoc offers though ... that's some righteous ripping good stuff, eh!

EDIT2: and while my "real price" when paying this doctor's bill does not include VAT, I do get hit by an (approximately) 5% "paypal tax" due to their exchange rate shenanigans when paying proper £ pounds using my grubby yankee dollars (aka "legal tender for all debts public and private - and you better believe it!") ...

So I asked the doc, hey what's up with that?

Doc sez something along the lines of: "Oh, well ... don't do that then." :smiley:

We do also offer a card payment gateway via stripe whereby you can reduce the conversion fees paypal slams you with.
    I have stopped making international payments via paypal as their conversion fees are extortionate.

• Nigh on parity between sterling, dollars & euros in PayPal world. :'(

Thanked by 1uptime
  • parity is nigh ... throw AUD and CAD into the mix and baby you got yourself a stew!

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • Feeling glad at least some of my bills are in pounds. ;)

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited August 2019

@HostDoc said
    We do also offer a card payment gateway via stripe whereby you can reduce the conversion fees paypal slams you with.
    I have stopped making international payments via paypal as their conversion fees are extortionate.

Now I am Tempted...
    Added later. You have INR option for Payment? No way.. :-)

PP in some cases takes one less step for transactions, but that actually might violate the central Banks regulations. Therefore
    PP for international transactions is a no go .

• @HostDoc said:
    Dallas - NVMe|1TB@10gbps

Out of Stock! :(

• Thanks for great support, performance and uptime!

Thanked by 1HostDoc
  • hide1hidehide1hide Member
    edited August 2019

UK - NVMe|Unlimited@1gbps

## CDN Speedtest

CacheFly :3.90 MiB/s |31.20 Mbps| ping23.030ms
    Gdrive:59.47 MiB/s |475.75 Mbps| ping7.788ms

## North America Speedtest

Softlayer, Washington, USA :0 B/s |N/A| ping80.214ms
    SoftLayer, San Jose, USA: 429.53 KiB/s |3.36 Mbps| ping 146.496ms
    SoftLayer, Dallas, USA: 670.56 KiB/s |5.24 Mbps| ping 111.148ms
    Vultr, New Jersey, USA:25.66 MiB/s |205.24 Mbps| ping70.084ms
    Vultr, Seattle, USA:10.14 MiB/s |81.14 Mbps| ping 156.173ms
    Vultr, Dallas, USA:15.49 MiB/s |123.91 Mbps| ping 113.528ms
    Vultr, Los Angeles, USA:12.58 MiB/s |100.63 Mbps| ping 142.310ms
    Ramnode, New York, USA:3.57 MiB/s |28.52 Mbps| ping70.680ms
    Ramnode, Atlanta, USA: 927.60 KiB/s |7.25 Mbps| ping 108.830ms
    OVH, Beauharnois, Canada:1.09 MiB/s |8.72 Mbps| ping74.268ms

## Europe Speedtest

Vultr, London, UK: 115.20 MiB/s |921.58 Mbps| ping1.122ms
    LeaseWeb, Frankfurt, Germany :6.65 MiB/s |53.23 Mbps| ping18.218ms
    Hetzner, Germany:4.91 MiB/s |39.28 Mbps| ping15.144ms
    Ramnode, Alblasserdam, NL:19.24 MiB/s |153.96 Mbps| ping12.433ms
    Vultr, Amsterdam, NL:95.62 MiB/s |764.96 Mbps| ping11.395ms
    EDIS, Stockholm, Sweden:1.44 KiB/s |0.01 Mbps| ping31.957ms
    OVH, Roubaix, France:17.88 MiB/s |143.03 Mbps| ping4.228ms
    Online, France:12.58 MiB/s |100.67 Mbps| ping8.166ms
    Prometeus, Milan, Italy:16.55 MiB/s |132.43 Mbps| ping23.971ms

## Exotic Speedtest

Sydney, Australia: 876.09 KiB/s |6.84 Mbps| ping 313.697ms
    Lagoon, New Caledonia : 448.11 KiB/s |3.50 Mbps| ping 340.566ms
    Hosteasy, Moldova:5.14 MiB/s |41.11 Mbps| ping56.430ms
    Prima, Argentina:88.66 KiB/s |0.69 Mbps| ping error!

## Asia Speedtest

SoftLayer, Singapore : 140.65 KiB/s |1.10 Mbps| ping 241.033ms
    Linode, Tokyo, Japan :276 B/s |N/A| ping 155.071ms
    Linode, Singapore: 296.90 KiB/s |2.32 Mbps| ping 229.219ms
    Vultr, Tokyo, Japan:4.72 MiB/s |37.80 Mbps| ping 241.324ms

## IO Test

CPU Speed:
    bzip2 512MB -147 MB/s
    sha256 512MB -444 MB/s
    md5sum 512MB -626 MB/s

Disk Speed (512MB):
    I/O Speed- 1.9 GB/s
    I/O Direct - 459 MB/s

RAM Speed (918MB):
    Avg. write - 4232.5 MB/s
    Avg. read- 8396.8 MB/s

Benchmark finished in 118 seconds

Thanked by 3uptime ITLabs HostDoc
  • @HostDoc

I was expecting a correction "that's NVMe, not spinners."

What is your raid setup that gets over 5GB/s on reads with spinners? That's the fastest I've ever seen. I'm guessing 24 disks? High quality raid card?

I bought a threadripper for the purpose of NVMe Raid, but with 4 in Raid 10 I didn't see any improvement over single disks (each drive tested out ok, so I'm guessing driver issue). But I've got some 12-16 hdd chassis now, so will just throw all my spinners into that instead.

Thanks

• @TimboJones said:
    @HostDoc

It is NVMe.

@TimboJones said:
    What is your raid setup that gets over 5GB/s on reads with spinners? That's the fastest I've ever seen. I'm guessing 24 disks? High quality raid card?

SoftRAID 1. Brand new NVMe's. 0 hours.

Thanked by 2TimboJones coreflux
  • TimboJonesTimboJones Member
    edited August 2019

@HostDoc said:

@TimboJones said:
    @HostDoc

It is NVMe.

@TimboJones said:

How is it over 3500/MB, then? PCIe 4.0 is too new/rich for LET.

Edit: looks like multiple disks are read when doing parallel reads, but not on single file transfers. https://superuser.com/questions/385519/does-raid1-increase-performance-with-linux-mdadm

• FoxelVoxFoxelVox Member
    edited August 2019

@TimboJones said:

@HostDoc said:

@TimboJones said:
    @HostDoc

It is NVMe.

@TimboJones said:

How is it over 3500/MB, then? PCIe 4.0 is too new/rich for LET.

RAID1/5 can actually still double/triple your read speeds, but not write speeds. You can only achieve higher write speeds with raid0 or 10.

Also, RAMDISK caching and/or buffered (cached) reads are a thing

Still, very impressive Doc! Do you have some special storage (like +-500GB disk) deals available? I want to get rid of my KS-3 i have :dizzy:

Thanked by 1HostDoc
  • @FoxelVox said:
    Still, very impressive Doc! Do you have some special storage (like +-500GB disk) deals available? I want to get rid of my KS-3 i have :dizzy:

We have cheap 1TB storage plans available in Dallas but not for NVMe or SSD.
    500GB NVMe can be provided in Dallas also but it will not be cheap.
    In UK, up to 100GB NVMe can also be provided, but once again, not currently as an offer.

Thanked by 2FoxelVox Aluminat
  • uptime said: due to their exchange rate

I always use my card exchange instead of paypals, so my card do the rates not paypal. Its way cheaper.

Thanked by 1goinsj2010