Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS or Dedi for Plex/Nextcloud
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS or Dedi for Plex/Nextcloud

GaleejGaleej Member

I wanted to run a Plex server alongside Nextcloud. What is the recommended way/configuration to run both these together. Is it even recommended in terms of security.
Can I use a KVM or dedicated is required?

Comments

• BopieBopie Member

I use QuickBox ;) but Id reccomend a dedi personally

• GaleejGaleej Member

@Bopie said:
    I use QuickBox ;) but Id reccomend a dedi personally

Thanks, any recommendations for dedi, budget $20-30 /month.

• BopieBopie Member

Hetzner :P IF US then maybe incero

• GaleejGaleej Member

@Bopie said:

I guess Hetzner uses RAID10, anyone who provides RAID5 with 3TB space.

• You could run both on the same server, but if the Plex side of things become compromised then your nextcloud could be compromised also.

• sanvitsanvit Member

I run PLEX and Nextcloud on a $20 Lightsail instance. It mostly depends on if you need to transcode or not

• GaleejGaleej Member

@dahartigan said:
    You could run both on the same server, but if the Plex side of things become compromised then your nextcloud could be compromised also.

I'm thinking of exposing 443 only via VPN. Could that reduce the risk.

• GaleejGaleej Member

@sanvit said:
    I run PLEX and Nextcloud on a $20 Lightsail instance. It mostly depends on if you need to transcode or not

I guess Trans coding is required. Let me see what light sail is offering

• @Galeej said:

@sanvit said:

Lightsail is actually EC2 t2 instances which have strict CPU limit

Thanked by 1sanvit
  • sanvitsanvit Member

@Galeej said:

@sanvit said:

If you need transcoding, Lightsail won't fit with you. The only reason I use Lightsail is because it's one of the only providers who provide quality bandwidth (both domestic and international) and a lot of it (4TB for $20)

• AlfieBAlfieB Member

@Galeej said:

@Bopie said:

I guess Hetzner uses RAID10, anyone who provides RAID5 with 3TB space.

You can define the RAID type when using the Hetzner Rescue system during the installation of the operating system.

Hetzner provide many different server configuration's with multiple RAID possibilities

For a cheap server to run Plex I would recommend checking the Hetzner Server auction
    here

Alternatively the EX line of server's are powered by Intel Core CPU's and provide the best price to performance ratio. They can be configured with multiple HDD's and SSD's as well as a hardware RAID card if this is required. The EX line can be viewed here

• How much go or tera you need? This is the first question to choose between vps or dedi

• ITLabsITLabs Member

@chiccorosso said:
    How much go or tera you need? This is the first question to choose between vps or dedi

We need to go deeper.

• williewillie Member

Try to get something physically reasonably near you, or at least in the same country (I guess EU mostly counts as one country for this purpose). For transcoding it depends on whether you mean occasional/batch of frequent/realtime. For occasional batch transcodes you could spin up hourly cloud vm's. For frequent ones you want a vm with a reasonable amount of cpu.

• GaleejGaleej Member

I would require frequent Trans coding. So guess 16gb ram would work. Hard drive around 3tb so that I can push all plex and nextcloud files in single server.

• In my experience, you can transcode until the cows come home and you will hardly use any RAM. It's all about CPU for transcoding :)

• williewillie Member

AlfieB said: Alternatively the EX line of server's

The EX42 is out of stock and will at this point stay out of stock past the end of the month, after which it will have a setup fee again. The higher EX models are great, but are overkill for this. Try an auction server or even a Kimsufi i3 or something.

• GaleejGaleej Member

great responses.. Say I get a 2gb RAM with 30GB NVMe and use mounted SSHFS for Plex, will that work better for Plex transcoding? What kind of CPU do I need to use for better transcoding?

• @Galeej said:
    great responses.. Say I get a 2gb RAM with 30GB NVMe and use mounted SSHFS for Plex, will that work better for Plex transcoding? What kind of CPU do I need to use for better transcoding?

Depends on how many streams you want to transcode at a time. The more streams the better CPU you will need.

• williewillie Member

If you are going to transcode a lot, use a dedi. Don't worry about SSD unless you're going to stream a lot of channels simultaneously. And probably not even then.

• GaleejGaleej Member

I have got Hetzner i7 2600, 32GB, 2x3TB for 27EUR.. hope it's better or equal to E3.

• Adam1Adam1 Member

if you have the disk space then you can always configure plex to pre-transcode streams rather than on the fly, providing you know what kind of devices and bitrates you'll most likely be serving to.

Thanked by 1Galeej
  • GaleejGaleej Member

so far, i have been able to access without any issues even on a 4g network.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • williewillie Member

Galeej said: I have got Hetzner i7 2600, 32GB, 2x3TB for 27EUR.. hope it's better or equal to E3.

It s about equivalent to an E3-1230v1 in cpu speed. The i7-3770 is about like a v2 and is a bit faster than the v1 or 2600. It's not that big a difference and you're unlikely to care most of the time. Note that you have a 4 core (8 thread) machine so depending on what you are doing, you may be able to get more throughput by running a few transcode tasks simultaneously. You basically want your system load average to be between 4 and 8 while transcoding, if you have enough transcoding to do. GNU Parallel is a good way to manage this.

Thanked by 2Galeej uptime
  • Okay

• I need VPS
    ISP: Cogent Communications
    Organization: Cogent Communications
    Example IP Address Is 38.134.103.70
    Please provide this vps website link
    anyone help me????

• Quickbox or swizzin?

• RedSoxRedSox Member

Why don't you just assemble your OWN server in the basement?

Profitably
    Conveniently
    Your data is protected
    No one has access to data except you
    Always uptime

• PHDanPHDan Member

Basement is good, keep it next to those bodies you necrophiliac.

Thanked by 2o_be_one AlwaysSkint