Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IPv6 - What is it good for?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Absolutely nothing?

IPv6 - How does it work?

Magnets?

OK, lets say I have some KVM servers, one has an IPv4 address and a IPv6 subnet assigned to it. Which i've assigned one address to. The other KVMs only have IPv6 subnets with one address assigned. I think I got all this right.

Now, what i want to do is run microservices on all the ipv6 only systems and what? reverse proxy? route? something else? through the ipv4 box to the ipv6 boxes.

Am I just thinking about this completely wrong? Can someone point me at a good reference, even my google-fu is failing me today!

Thanks

Thanked by 1creep

Comments

• deankdeank Member, Troll

It's there to replace IPv4.

Some dork said that in 1990s.

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

ipv6! hoo! what is it good for? Absolutely nothing! Say it again!

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited July 2019

errytime some half-ass paranoid so-called firewall decides to null-route my IPv4 (for what?!) I'm like ha! ha! ha! because I'm still ssh'd in via IPv6 so idgaf lololol ...

And that's but one of the many reasons why every discerning gentleperson will come to insist on the IPv6 selekter for their internet connector.

So say we all?

• HostSlickHostSlick Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2019

What it's good for?
    Snowshoe Spamming. Cuz u got loads IPs.

Maybe?

• rubenruben Member, Host Rep

deank said: Some dork said that in 1990s.

I believe there was more than one person (but not more than three, considering the adoption rate) at that IETF meeting in 1998 :smiley:

captainwasabi said: Now, what i want to do is run microservices on all the ipv6 only systems and what? reverse proxy? route? something else? through the ipv4 box to the ipv6 boxes.

If those addresses you assigned to your IPv6 only KVMs are publicly reachable and if you have IPv6 at home you can directly use those IPv6 only services. But if you are one of those people with an ISP who does not care about IPv6 you will need to put some translation mechanism in place.
    Yes, you could set up an nginx reverse proxy on your dual-stack KVM to proxy v4 connections to v6.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • ITLabsITLabs Member

For making fancy mugs.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • uptimeuptime Member

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • ha, well I was at least pre-supposing the provider was routig ipv6, but this does not seem to be the case, so reverse proxying is out. It seems like (if I thing about it hard, eww) that the only thing it'd be useful for is routing between containers or VMs on the same machine (or machines that are tunnelled together over a vpn). All of it more trouble than it's worth.

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited July 2019

ruben said: But if you are one of those people with an ISP who does not care about IPv6 you will need to put some translation mechanism in place.

It's rare to find a good ISP that doesn't support IPv6 (at least in the USA), but you can use HE's free Tunnelbroker service in that case. https://tunnelbroker.net/

In the USA, Facebook gets more traffic via IPv6 than IPv4, so there's definitely people using IPv6. It's very popular with mobile carriers in particular (over 95% of T-Mobile's traffic is via IPv6). https://code.fb.com/connectivity/how-ipv6-deployment-is-growing-in-u-s-and-other-countries/

Thanked by 1uptime
  • creepcreep Member

Nice try, Colocrossing.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Why didn’t you just paste this question into Google?

• hzrhzr Member

Daniel15 said: In the USA, Facebook gets more traffic via IPv6 than IPv4, so there's definitely people using IPv6. It's very popular with mobile carriers in particular (over 95% of T-Mobile's traffic is via IPv6). https://code.fb.com/connectivity/how-ipv6-deployment-is-growing-in-u-s-and-other-countries/

T-mobile doesn't actually allocate any v4 addresses to end-users anymore. They hijack DNS traffic via DPI and return fake IPv6 AAAA records (instead of A) within their own space, so you basically can't resolve anything if you need to grab a record properly anymore

• edfoxedfox Member

I use IPv6 because it lets me hide the SSH and VPN services in one of the 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 addresses that i get with every server.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@captainwasabi asked:

It's good for very much increasing the risk of software that kind of worked to not work properly anymore. Plus it's great for creating a massive workload for support people and help desks.

Additionally it serves well as a strong reminder to not have major technology changes designed in mental asylums.

Thanked by 2uptime willK

21 years...still hasn't hit 30% of traffic.

ipv6 is a failure. It will eventually become dominant, sure, but if that takes 30 years, that's just pathetic. Turns out that refusing to consider backwards compatibility was a big mistake. What a shock!

Thanked by 2gazmull willK
  • @hzr said:

Daniel15 said: In the USA, Facebook gets more traffic via IPv6 than IPv4, so there's definitely people using IPv6. It's very popular with mobile carriers in particular (over 95% of T-Mobile's traffic is via IPv6). https://code.fb.com/connectivity/how-ipv6-deployment-is-growing-in-u-s-and-other-countries/

T-mobile doesn't actually allocate any v4 addresses to end-users anymore. They hijack DNS traffic via DPI and return fake IPv6 AAAA records (instead of A) within their own space, so you basically can't resolve anything if you need to grab a record properly anymore

that has nothing to do with DPI, that is 464XLAT https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6877
    I don't know what some ppl have with IPv6, works better than IPv4 for me, maybe their brains stop working if they see hex instead of simple numbers?

• vyas11vyas11 Member

@user54321 said:

I don't know what some ppl have with IPv6, works better than IPv4 for me, maybe their brains stop working if they see hex instead of simple numbers?

Maybe some simply get hexed by hex.

• hzrhzr Member
    edited July 2019

user54321 said: that has nothing to do with DPI, that is 464XLAT

Sorry, my bad. I was confusing it with the last incidents. Before they moved to 100% 464 they were directly hijacking all DNS traffic to serve their spammy "no domain found" ad search page - this includes static routing common resolvers like 8.8.8.8 into their own resolver and redirecting ALL tcp/53 and udp/53 traffic exiting their network.

Edit: I'm tethered right now and only get t-mobile assigned IP space AAAA returned. There are no A records. There are no DNS records starting with 64::

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@raindog308 said:
    ipv6 is a failure. It will eventually become dominant,...

I would have agreed for quite some time but meanwhile I'm not so sure anymore. There have been some developments (e.g. SNI allowing to have many sites on 1 IP) that helped a lot, there still are some very large IP blocks that can be return to the public pool, and there are some more reasons to hope for IP4 living a bit longer and to eventually be replaced by something designed by people with working brains (like a 64 bit, IP4 compatible as far as any possible IPx version).

And then there is also the 800 pound gorilla of not yet fully used NAT along with the fact that (I guess) 95+% of IPs actually are consumer end point which could be "NAT compressed" by a factor of 100 and beyond.
    That and the other seriously big gorilla of billions and billions having been invested in infrastructure, much of which would need to be replaced for IPv6, go hand in hand, meaning that carriers very highly likely will compress the consumer IP space even more in order to have more space for hosting IPs.

Last but not least: price. IP4 started being all but thrown at anyone who wanted some and still are relatively cheap - which almost necessarily translates to wasting. Once people (mostly companies) needing say 16 IPs need to pay 80$/€ per month for those IPs both not wasting them anymore and selling not really needed IPs will enhance the situation.

Probably I should say that some political action would be needed and helpful too (like a college not really needing a /16) but I guess that makes no sense as politicians quite reliably fail to really address and solve problems.

Thanked by 1ricardo

jsg said: Last but not least: price. IP4 started being all but thrown at anyone who wanted some and still are relatively cheap - which almost necessarily translates to wasting. Once people (mostly companies) needing say 16 IPs need to pay 80$/€ per month for those IPs both not wasting them anymore and selling not really needed IPs will enhance the situation.

Probably I should say that some political action would be needed and helpful too (like a college not really needing a /16) but I guess that makes no sense as politicians quite reliably fail to really address and solve problems.

Preach it, brother! I have not seen ipv4 prices explode due to scarcity, but then I only see the pricing as a factor in what I pay for VPS services.

I think the ipv4 market will be where it is for a long time - companies and large organizations selling blocks once the hassle of renumbering becomes profitable, further use of NAT, etc.

• One of the reasons I'm looking into this is because I'm getting users that can't access services on non-standard ports (in one case they only allow access over port 443). This is causing me to need more IPv4 addresses because https://some.service.com:8443 is blocked from their end. IPs aren't expensive, and I could go in and re-architect my services to push everything through a reverse proxy, but I just thought I'd see if IP6 was viable.

• @captainwasabi said:
    One of the reasons I'm looking into this is because I'm getting users that can't access services on non-standard ports (in one case they only allow access over port 443). This is causing me to need more IPv4 addresses because https://some.service.com:8443 is blocked from their end. IPs aren't expensive, and I could go in and re-architect my services to push everything through a reverse proxy, but I just thought I'd see if IP6 was viable.

Sure go ahead with IPv6, everything works, the only problem are idiots that don't support it. If everybody would just implemented it no matter if they needed or not IPv4 would be already dead for 20 years, but there is always somebody who thinks, I don't need it so i don't support it. I do it now the same way and removed IPv4 support for many of my services because and give a fuck about users without IPv6.

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

Some ISP providers do support some still don't know anything about it, example:
    EE mobile - IPv6 enabled
    EE broadband - No
    Vodafone Mobile - No
    Three Network - No
    BT - partially using

• @WebProject said:
    EE mobile - IPv6 enabled
    EE broadband - No
    Vodafone Mobile - No
    Three Network - No
    BT - partially using

like i said idiots that can't be bothered, they all could support IPv6 if they want to, the equipment they use does support it.

• @edfox said:
    I use IPv6 because it lets me hide the SSH and VPN services in one of the 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 addresses that i get with every server.

Same here, I hide my SSH (IPv4 disabled for SSH) behind one of those above numbers and all my domains have unique IP addresses, not like IPv4 one IP shared with all my domains.

• It have many IPs.

• @user54321 said:

@WebProject said:
    EE mobile - IPv6 enabled
    EE broadband - No
    Vodafone Mobile - No
    Three Network - No
    BT - partially using

like i said idiots that can't be bothered, they all could support IPv6 if they want to, the equipment they use does support it.

Sounds like you're not familiar with how most businesses are run. If they don't NEED to spend the money, effort and resources, don't. Being able to put off a decision as long as possible is generally the best approach.

I mean, for the Canadian ISPs with IPv4 subnets coming out their asses, they avoided at least three failed early IPv6 implementations and all the support hassle it would have caused.

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited July 2019

@TimboJones said:

@user54321 said:

@WebProject said:
    EE mobile - IPv6 enabled
    EE broadband - No
    Vodafone Mobile - No
    Three Network - No
    BT - partially using

Sounds like you're not familiar with how most businesses are run. If they don't NEED to spend the money, effort and resources, don't. Being able to put off a decision as long as possible is generally the best approach.

>

Agreed. Most large businesses are like this. Herd mentality. Don't kill the cash cow. Whatever you want to call it.Many small businesses OTOH do not have the resources to invest in future. Usually collections on Account Receivables take up a lot of bandwidth. Now where's my list of accounts that are past due...

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@user54321 said:

@WebProject said:
    EE mobile - IPv6 enabled
    EE broadband - No
    Vodafone Mobile - No
    Three Network - No
    BT - partially using

they do have valid excuses - cost and not all devices do support it!

• WebProject said: they do have valid excuses - cost and not all devices do support it!

So you're saying that an ISP in 2019 is still running equipment that doesn't support IPv6? Like what?

Thanked by 1Daniel15