Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TinyKVM - Quality Dallas/Los Angeles KVM SSD VPS - $15/yearly - 10 Years of Excellence
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

TinyKVM - Quality Dallas/Los Angeles KVM SSD VPS - $15/yearly - 10 Years of Excellence

ramnetramnet Member, Host Rep

TinyKVM is a specially discounted service provided by RAM Host. For over 10 years, we have been providing quality virtual dedicated servers for people on a budget. With our proven record, you can rest assured you will receive a quality stable professional product from a proven company that takes pride in offering affordable high quality web hosting solutions.

All VM's are hosted on Intel Xeon enterprise grade server hardware.

OS - your choice of:

ArchLinux, CentOS, Debian, Gentoo, OpenBSD, FreeBSD, NetBSD, Slackware, Ubuntu, and many more. Custom ISO images can be added too!

TinyKVM Plan Details

• 256 MB Dedicated RAM
  • 7 GB Hard Disk Drive
  • 200 GB Data Transfer Bandwidth
  • Gigabit Network
  • IPv4 and IPv6 dual-stack, Each VPS includes 1 IPv4 and 1 /112 IPv6, additional available!
  • Free DNS Hosting
  • Raid 10 Protected Storage with SSD caching - Higher Performance and Reliability
  • Expert Technical Support - Fast, Knowledgable Response Times When It Matters Most!

Extras:

• More Memory/Disk/Bandwidth/IPs - Contact Us

All prices are good for the life of your account with us!

We also offer custom plans to meet any budget and requirements. Contact us for a free quote!

We Have Lots of Excellent 3rd Party Customer Reviews Too and we have been voted #1 best provider on LowEndBox multiple times over the years.

--->>> Signup Now <<<---

FAQ:

Q: Do you allow IRC?
A: IRC Servers/Clients/Bots/Bouncers are allowed for personal use.

Q: Do you support OpenVPN/FUSE/PPTP/etc?
A: Yes. As these plans are powered by KVM, almost anything that will work on a dedicated server will work inside your KVM VPS.

Q: Can I run my own kernel?
A: Yes, you can run custom Linux, BSD or other kernels on our KVM service.

Q: What about adult content?
A: We allow adult content as long as it is legal under US law.

Q: Do you allow BitTorrent / P2P?
A: Yes, provided you don't transfer anything illegal.

Q: Do you allow Honeypots?
A: Yes, as long as no abuse traffic is generated outgoing.

Q: How long have you been in business?
A: We have been operating servers since January 19 2009 - Over 10 Years!

Have Questions? Post Them Below, Send me a PM, or Contact Directly

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited June 2019

One of the OG "top 3 holy trinity".

Glad to see things are still going well over there :)

Francisco

• XeiXei Member
    edited June 2019

TBH can't recommend them if you ever will use bandwidth, otherwise stable/good. Had service for at least 2+ years. Always idle. Ran a personal socks5 proxy, RamNet was like using any mb/s for more than a few minutes/sustained is not allowed and/or abuse (was probably 4-8mb/s probably no more than a hour or two, too long ago now). If you're in your bandwidth allotment and doing nothing illegal you shouldn't run into that. Never looked back... too many better alternatives.

• ramnetramnet Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2019

@Xie i'm not sure how long ago you had service with us, or what the details of your specific situation was, but at the present time we generally don't have any problem with users using the bandwidth at those levels.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

Just to say that "SSD" in the title is a little misleading. (This was pointed out the last time as well.)

Thanked by 3maverickp Yandex mfs
  • The website page is really simple.

• Kvmba_Kvmba_ Member

hello , any speed test file and test ip ?

• level6level6 Member

@fensuiji said:
    The website page is really simple.

But it loads fast af.

Thanked by 1ramnet

@Kvmba_ said:
    hello , any speed test file and test ip ?

You can ping the website which is hosted in our Dallas location.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • Is this SSD or spinning rust? Noticed it says hard drive in the post.

edited June 2019

@SirFoxy said:
    Is this SSD or spinning rust? Noticed it says hard drive in the post.

Both. Storage configuration is hard drives in raid10 with enterprise ssd caching on top of that for higher performance.

• @ramnet said:

@SirFoxy said:
    Is this SSD or spinning rust? Noticed sit says hard drive in the post.

Both. Storage configuration is hard drives in raid10 with enterprise ssd caching on top of that for higher performance.

Can you or someone post a Dallas bench?

edited June 2019

@SirFoxy said:
    Can you or someone post a Dallas bench?

https://rhnx.net/kvmdd.png

Dallas and Los Angeles use identical hardware.

disclaimer: actual results may vary and are not guaranteed.

Thanked by 2SirFoxy uptime
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I don't even know what year it is anymore. Talk about a blast from the past, and a good one.

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited June 2019

I can dig it

it's a tinyKVM

expecting solid uptime, stable performance - probably most suitable for low-bandwidth applications such as monitoring node, DNS, lightweight server duty

got one in LA - seems to be in quadranet DC - seeing about 30 to 40 MB/s scp to and from servers at Psychz and ColoCrossing, and 25 MB/s to Fremont (freerangecloud, probably via HE). (Slower elsewhere, about 10 MB/s to Chicago, 6.5 MB/s to Amsterdam. Not tested many other locations since I just care about connectivity in West Coast US for this one.)

CPU is generic QEMU clocked at 3100 MHz - doesn't have aes flag enabled as far as I can tell - which is probably why I'm seeing slower disk (and/or cache) speeds when writing to LUKS encrypted partition.

Seems pretty consistent writing to LVM on LUKS on 64-bit Debian 9 at around 130 MB/s (probably could be improved considerably with some tuning on my end but is good enough as is for what I need it to do).

• vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited June 2019

I guess I'll wind up here, if vpsdime decides it's not worth it to upgrade the $7/yr birthday special openvz6 (crazy loss-leader) to at least OpenVZ7.

Thanked by 1ramnet
  • Do I really need this. Yeah, I guess I do.

Thanked by 1ramnet
  • vyas11vyas11 Member

Resistance WAS futile. 'nuff said

Thanked by 1ramnet
  • KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

I miss the days when all LET providers were hosted in Kansas City... now nobody is there anymore. :disappointed:

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@KuJoe said:
    I miss the days when all LET providers were hosted in Kansas City... now nobody is there anymore. :disappointed:

WSI/DataShack/Joe's has truly gone out of style...

• sanvitsanvit Member

Which DC in LA? Do you have a looking glass/test period? Thanks :)

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited July 2019

@sanvit said:

@sanvit - the one I got in LA is in Quadranet DC

stable so far (up 45 days since I got it) and feels pretty snappy

maybe check ramhost.us (or Quadranet) for a looking glass - or send me a PM and I could put a test file up on nginx or whatever

Thanked by 1sanvit
  • sanvitsanvit Member

@uptime said:

@sanvit said:

@sanvit - the one I got in LA is in Quadranet DC

stable so far (up 45 days since I got it) and feels pretty snappy

maybe check ramhost.us (or Quadranet) for a looking glass - or send me a PM and I could put a test file up on nginx or whatever

Could you check what kind of speed you get on speedtest-cli if you don't mind?

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited July 2019

@sanvit - this?

# ./speedtest-cli
    Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...
    Testing from RAM Host (199.180.xxx.xxx)...
    Retrieving speedtest.net server list...
    Selecting best server based on ping...
    Hosted by Bel Air Internet LLC (Los Angeles, CA) [0.90 km]: 2.464 ms
    Testing download speed................................................................................
    Download: 816.05 Mbit/s
    Testing upload speed................................................................................................
    Upload: 133.17 Mbit/s

Thanked by 1sanvit
  • sanvitsanvit Member

@uptime said:
    @sanvit - this?

# ./speedtest-cli
    Testing download speed................................................................................
    Testing upload speed................................................................................................

Yup. Thanks!

• vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited July 2019

@uptime said:
    @sanvit - this?

# ./speedtest-cli

Thanks!
    On a relaxed Saturday afternoon, I got to learn something new. Next I repeated the test for me. Here goes...

'Hosted by Hivelocity Hosting (Dallas, TX) [27.56 km]: 3.372 ms
    Testing download speed……………………………………………………………………..
    Download: 850.70 Mbit/s
    Testing upload speed…………………………………………………………………………………………
    Upload: 4.02 Mbit/s'

Thirdly, went ahead and rinsed and repeated for other VPS'es. And finally, got base material for a post on a new site where I am putting together a few learnings. All providers but one courtesy this forum! The objective was to share my results, not seo juice for a new site. Posting only because of relevance and yes a paying customer for TinyKVM..

Thanked by 1MichaelCee
  • sanvitsanvit Member

@vyas11 said:

@uptime said:
    @sanvit - this?

# ./speedtest-cli

Thanks!
    On a relaxed Saturday afternoon, I got to learn something new. Next I repeated the test for me. Here goes...

Hosted by Hivelocity Hosting (Dallas, TX) [27.56 km]: 3.372 ms
    Testing download speed……………………………………………………………………..
    Download: 850.70 Mbit/s
    Testing upload speed…………………………………………………………………………………………
    Upload: 4.02 Mbit/s

Thirdly, went ahead and rinsed and repeated for other VPS'es. And finally, got base material for a post on a new site where I am putting together a few learnings. All providers but one courtesy this forum! The objective was to share my results, not seo juice for a new site. Posting only because of relevance and yes a paying customer for TinyKVM..

That upload speed you posted seems a little too slow. Maybe the speedtest servers are saturated?
    For the Gullo error, it's mostly OOM. Try speedtest-cli --no-pre-allocate

Thanked by 1vyas11
  • uptimeuptime Member
    edited July 2019

@vyas11 - "underworldstartup" ...?

Like, some real gangsta shit - or am I misinterpreting the intended connotation?

Well it's all good in the hood I suppose.

Anyhoo - just a heads up to make sure you do whatever necessary due diligence in terms of tuning your network stack - ie, maybe BBR makes a difference - and beware of trusting the benchmarks overmuch. @jsg may have some friendly advice to share along these lines (seriously - he probably does and might just be willing to explain it to us slowly and using simple words as though we may be of the severely cognitively impaired persuasion. :smiley: Be prepared to take it for what it's worth, possibly with several grains of salt - but it's often at least some good food for thought.)

Cheers!

Thanked by 1vyas11
  • vyas11vyas11 Member
    edited July 2019

@uptime said:
    @vyas11 - "underworldstartup" ...?

Like, some real gangsta shit - or am I misinterpreting the intended connotation?

Well it's all good in the hood I suppose.

Anyhoo - just a heads up to make sure you do whatever necessary due diligence in terms of tuning your network stack - ie, maybe BBR makes a difference - and beware of trusting the benchmarks overmuch. @jsg may have some friendly advice to share along these lines (seriously - he probably does and might just be willing to explain it to us even though we may or may not be of the severely cognitively impaired persuasion.)

Cheers!

Thanks... Yes, just like analyst reports, I take the BM tests with a grain of salt. Also tweaking things on the go.
    I had registered the domain for an as yet unfinished fiction novel. Some day in the future I may actually finish it....

Sorry what is BBR?

Thanked by 1uptime
  • uptimeuptime Member
    edited July 2019

vyas11 said: Sorry what is BBR?

https://github.com/google/bbr

As per https://www.vultr.com/docs/how-to-deploy-google-bbr-on-centos-7

BBR (Bottleneck Bandwidth and RTT) is a new congestion control algorithm which is contributed to the Linux kernel TCP stack by Google.

I've recently heard it described as the "fuck this, and this, and also that" algorithm.

It may increase throughput in some situations - not necessarily on a VPS but might be worth a try if seeing low speeds.

EDIT2:

Also - mtr is a most interesting indicator of bandwidth - will be interesting to compare with the speedtest-cli results. (Look for the mtr-tiny package available for many common linux distributions.)

EDIT3: I meant to say iperf of course!

# iperf --server
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Server listening on TCP port 5001
    TCP window size: 85.3 KByte (default)
    [  4] local 199.180.xxx.xxx (tinyKVM / Quadranet LA) port 5001 connected with 185.198.xxx.xxx (HostHatch / Psychz LA) port 50180
    [ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth
    [  4]  0.0-10.0 sec   882 MBytes   739 Mbits/sec
    ^C

# iperf -c 185.198.xxx.xxx (HostHatch / Psychz LA)
    Client connecting to 185.198.xxx.xxx (HostHatch / Psychz LA), TCP port 5001
    TCP window size: 85.0 KByte (default)
    [  3] local 199.180.xxx.xxx (TinyKVM / Quadranet LA) port 51730 connected with 185.198.xxx.xxx (HostHatch / Psychz LA) port 5001
    [ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth
    [  3]  0.0-10.0 sec   915 MBytes   768 Mbits/sec

So yeah - definitely compare notes with iperf :)

Thanked by 1vyas11
  • dracodraco Member

Would recommend them. Been using them for hobby sites with no issues. Support is quick as well even though I’m from a different time zone.

Thanked by 2uptime ramnet