Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review&SPECIAL OFFER]1Fichier - Unlimited File Hosting Storage & 100GB/mo CDN for 10€/Year - Page 12
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[Review&SPECIAL OFFER]1Fichier - Unlimited File Hosting Storage & 100GB/mo CDN for 10€/Year

Comments

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@willie said:
    I'm happy to buy vouchers from sanvit. What I'm trying to figure out is whether they work for buying CDN credit, or only for accounts. I'm not likely to need CDN credit though, as 100GB/m is plenty for what I envision doing.

The vouchers don't give you any amount of $ as credit. Thus they don't work for buying credits. It's not like a Starbucks gift card with a balance you can then spend. The vouchers from sanvit give you exactly the same as if you were to buy a 1 year premium plan. 100GB/mo cdn included.

Thanked by 3willie uptime sanvit
  • uptimeuptime Member
    edited July 2019

for some reason I seem to recall that 1fichier may actually take paypal but charge quite a bit more for it. (In case we're still wondering how they make money on top of their deep-discount deals.)

Might not be a big deal if just buying a few $ worth of extra bandwich tho ... low end heresy, I know - and I'm sure paypal would beg to differ with regard to any surchargery but ... it's 1fichier and they don't give a fuck I guess.

Thanked by 2sanvit Ympker
  • sanvitsanvit Member

@willie said:
    I'm happy to buy vouchers from sanvit. What I'm trying to figure out is whether they work for buying CDN credit, or only for accounts. I'm not likely to need CDN credit though, as 100GB/m is plenty for what I envision doing.

They only upgrade your account to premium for 1 year. They do not have any monetary value.

@uptime said:
    for some reason I seem to recall that 1fichier may actually take paypal but charge quite a bit more for it. (In case we're still wondering how they make money on top of their deep-discount deals.)

Might not be a big deal if just buying a few $ worth of extra bandwich tho ... low end heresy, I know - and I'm sure paypal would beg to differ with regard to any surchargery but ... it's 1fichier and they don't give a fuck I guess.

iirc they charge 100% extra for PayPal (=2x)

Thanked by 1uptime
  • uptimeuptime Member
    edited July 2019

Just remembering @willie prefers not to use paypal anyway ... Alrighty then - maybe time to mine some monero my man (j/k!)

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • williewillie Member
    edited July 2019

Sanvit, Ympker, thanks for the explanations.

Uptime, my paypal account is blocked because of bullshit from paypal, so I can't send or receive payments with it. Some places use PP as a card processor so you can pay with a card without logging in to paypal, and that works for me, though other things equal I'd rather use a different processor. If 1fichier does that but charges 100% premium, well, that's kind of steep.

Is cpu mining monero profitable again? That might explain some requests I've been seeing :(.

Does 1fichier take monero? If that's the case I might at some point offer to buy some monero.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • sanvitsanvit Member

@willie said:
    Sanvit, Ympker, thanks for the explanations.

Uptime, my paypal account is blocked because of bullshit from paypal, so I can't send or receive payments with it. Some places use PP as a card processor so you can pay with a card without logging in to paypal, and that works for me, though other things equal I'd rather use a different processor. If 1fichier does that but charges 100% premium, well, that's kind of steep.

Is cpu mining monero profitable again? That might explain some requests I've been seeing :(.

Does 1fichier take monero? If that's the case I might at some point offer to buy some monero.

No monero

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited July 2019

Is cpu mining monero profitable again?

I doubt it - I think the cryptolords there are finally contemplating capitulation to asic-friendly algorithms.

(Major competition for small-scale miners currently being botnets, so ... no percentage in it really unless working with "free" resources.)

most likely any number of shiny new shitcoins behind the masternode etc requests

As for 1fichier accepting cryptocurrency payments ... I dunno - seems maybe they do not? Just see something about SEPA (which is definitely not a cryptocurrency ... yet.)

EDIT2: monero is still interesting for anonymity absolutists - and, as intended, as an actual private payment method - so is popular in certain online marketplaces. Or so I've been told. Might find some floating around Berkeley via "localmonero".

Thanked by 2Ympker willie
  • williewillie Member

Thanks, I'm not conversant with all these different kinds of crypto these days but I get the picture, a bunch of them work. After studying the 1fichier docs for a while I think the proposition is the following:

• With a premium membership I can upload by ftp/ftpes or by a web API, and can download by direct http with some authentication info, without incurring bandwidth charges. Download includes anything uploaded and made public by any premium member.
    • Any non-paid member can access stuff I upload through an ad screen, or can direct download if I set the download to use CDN credits
    • 2TB of cold storage is included, more costs 2 euro/TB/m if paid 1 year at a time, and 1 euro/m if paid 3 years at a time. Not sure about monthly but I don't really care about monthly.
    • I can pay for membership with a voucher but have to find some other way to pay for storage and CDN overage, i.e. cryptocoin of the week. Meh.

Not sure if anything else matters. It shouldn't be hard to put an S3 emulation wrapper around the 1fichier api and I'd be surprised if nobody has done it yet.

Has anyone checked upload and download speed to the US, since all their servers are in EU?

Thanks.

• sanvitsanvit Member

@willie said:
    Thanks, I'm not conversant with all these different kinds of crypto these days but I get the picture, a bunch of them work. After studying the 1fichier docs for a while I think the proposition is the following:

• With a premium membership I can upload by ftp/ftpes or by a web API, and can download by direct http with some authentication info, without incurring bandwidth charges. Download includes anything uploaded and made public by any premium member.

any premium member

• Any non-paid member can access stuff I upload through an ad screen, or can direct download if I set the download to use CDN credits

or if you use the 1fichier.scdn.pw link (or make something simikar on your own)

• 2TB of cold storage is included, more costs 2 euro/TB/m if paid 1 year at a time, and 1 euro/m if paid 3 years at a time. Not sure about monthly but I don't really care about monthly.
    • I can pay for membership with a voucher but have to find some other way to pay for storage and CDN overage, i.e. cryptocoin of the week. Meh.

I may be able to help you with that

Not sure if anything else matters. It shouldn't be hard to put an S3 emulation wrapper around the 1fichier api and I'd be surprised if nobody has done it yet.

afaik there's nothing available like that for now

Has anyone checked upload and download speed to the US, since all their servers are in EU?

https://1fichier.scdn.pw/?etgy6xky2d5hffna885d
    Check on yourself :)

Thanks.

You're welcome :)

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited July 2019

@willie said:
    have to find some other way to pay for storage and CDN overage, i.e. cryptocoin of the week.

I don't see anything to indicate that 1fichier takes crypto payments directly - it seems to be all about the SEPA (EU inter-bank transfer method) for them. (Maybe I'm missing something.) Edit: apparently any coinbase-compatible crypto is grist for their mill?

Any way you slice it, getting additional yearly accounts each coming with their own fresh 2 TB cold storage quota still beats any of the add-on storage prices, so that seems to be the way to go (unless you need more than 2 TB in a single account).

The remaining sticky wicket would be extra CDN credits - but the "roll your own" 1fichier.scdn.pw scripted authentication-passthrough method seems to be a viable (and possibly even prefered) workaround for that.

And if you can get voucher(s) via @sanvit then Bob's your uncle. :smiley:

EDIT2:

I have not yet tried the authentication-passtrhough scripting (ie, https://github.com/NicolasLoew/vps/blob/master/1fichier%20index.php) - thinking it would be a good idea to first take a closer look at the details to understand to what extent it might leak credentials etc ... and if any way to get around that potential concern.

Thanked by 1sanvit
  • williewillie Member

I had the impression that the authentication passthrough schemes were either burning their own bandwidth, or using up 1fichier cdn credits that the author had donated. Is it some kind of workaround? That doesn't sound too nice.

Anyway I'm not too worried about large file distribution to other people, particularly non-premium users. It's of slight interest but is only a side question. For small files I can use the cdn no prob.

Thanks! I may address another issue or two later.

• sanvitsanvit Member
    edited July 2019

@willie said:
    I had the impression that the authentication passthrough schemes were either burning their own bandwidth, or using up 1fichier cdn credits that the author had donated. Is it some kind of workaround? That doesn't sound too nice.

Nope, if you passthrough authentication, 1fichier will return a 302 Moved with a direct download URL (or an inline URL if you append &inline). If you're a free user and enabled using CDN credit for your download, it will eat up your credit. However, if you're a premium user, your CDN credits are also intact. The 1fichier.scdn.pw link served around 3.6K requests and ate up around 12MB of bandwidth this month.

Thanked by 2uptime Ympker
  • sanvitsanvit Member

Hmmm... 1fichier might be disabling access via the URL now :(

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @sanvit said:
    Hmmm... 1fichier might be disabling access via the URL now :(

It is working with my own similar solution (won't share the URL, sorry). So it is maybe a coding issue.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • williewillie Member
    edited July 2019

I tried to download this and got an html page wanting me to accept cookies or something. Following the links in that page with a text-only browser eventually did find a direct download link (not sure if any cookies were set) and the transfer speed started at around 12MB/s to Dallas and gradually ramped up to over 20MB/s. This is pretty good, better than I've ever gotten on a single transatlantic connection from any EU server that I can remember. But it sounds like the scheme for making direct downloads doesn't completely work any more. Oh well.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • sanvitsanvit Member
    edited July 2019

@willie said:

I tried to download this and got an html page wanting me to accept cookies or something. Following the links in that page with a text-only browser eventually did find a direct download link (not sure if any cookies were set) and the transfer speed started at around 12MB/s to Dallas and gradually ramped up to over 20MB/s. This is pretty good, better than I've ever gotten on a single transatlantic connection from any EU server that I can remember. But it sounds like the scheme for making direct downloads doesn't completely work any more. Oh well.

I've disabled it for now. 1fichier seems to have found out and showed me a warning to not use it that way. I'll have a look at how to bypass that, but for now please make your own using the PHP script @Ympker mentioned

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • williewillie Member

Meanwhile, your selly link doesn't work: are you all out of vouchers?

• noamannoaman Member

@sanvit said:

@willie said:

I've disabled it for now. 1fichier seems to have found out and showed me a warning to not use it that way. I'll have a look at how to bypass that, but for now please make your own using the PHP script @Ympker mentioned

If i find a solution and I will set it up as SaaS and will give direct links to download :smile:

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • williewillie Member

Well if it's something 1fichier is trying to prevent, then it will turn into whack-a-mole, which defeats the purpose of being able to give people no-hassle direct links. So I'd just say these workarounds were nice while they lasted but the "right" answer is to pay for the CDN. The LET approach would be to proxy an ftp client through cheap-bandwidth VPS's ;). At my low traffic volumes the CDN is ok and I don't feel likely to use up even the free credits.

• sanvitsanvit Member

@willie said:

Selly wanted me to pay $19.99/m so I just ditched them. PM me and I'll get you the code :)

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

@sanvit said:

@willie said:

Selly wanted me to pay $19.99/m so I just ditched them. PM me and I'll get you the code :)

Blesta shop incoming :)

Thanked by 1uptime
  • sanvitsanvit Member

@Ympker said:

@sanvit said:

@willie said:

Blesta shop incoming :)

I only have a handful left, and after it's gone, I'll also have to wait for next BF :) Maybe blesta will come in handy then :)

Thanked by 2Ympker banxix
  • JunJun Member

It looks like rclone will soon support 1fichier remote! github issue, beta documentation

The primary reason why I wasn't interested in 1fichier was the bad accessibility. Now that rclone supports 1fichier, I'm in. I just purchased the last premium code from @sanvit (thank you!) and tried the test build of rclone. Here is a quick speed test result from US west coast.

$ rclone copy -P test fichier:
    Transferred:      135.748M / 135.748 MBytes, 100%, 1.576 MBytes/s, ETA 0s
    Errors:                 0
    Checks:                 0 / 0, -
    Transferred:            1 / 1, 100%
    Elapsed time:     1m26.1s

$ rclone copy -P fichier:test tmp
    Transferred:      135.748M / 135.748 MBytes, 100%, 2.542 MBytes/s, ETA 0s
    Elapsed time:       53.3s

$ diff test tmp/test

It works! And the speed is acceptable for backup purpose. I'll start trashing my data to 1fichier. 2TB/1yr for $18 is definitely a great deal with no doubt. I just wish 1fichier doesn't disable or cap the API now that their cold storage got much more accessible.

• sanvitsanvit Member

@Jun said:
    It looks like rclone will soon support 1fichier remote! github issue, beta documentation

The primary reason why I wasn't interested in 1fichier was the bad accessibility. Now that rclone supports 1fichier, I'm in. I just purchased the last premium code from @sanvit (thank you!) and tried the test build of rclone. Here is a quick speed test result from US west coast.

$ rclone copy -P test fichier:
    Transferred:      135.748M / 135.748 MBytes, 100%, 1.576 MBytes/s, ETA 0s
    Elapsed time:     1m26.1s

$ rclone copy -P fichier:test tmp
    Transferred:      135.748M / 135.748 MBytes, 100%, 2.542 MBytes/s, ETA 0s
    Elapsed time:       53.3s

$ diff test tmp/test

It works! And the speed is acceptable for backup purpose. I'll start trashing my data to 1fichier. 2TB/1yr for $18 is definitely a great deal with no doubt. I just wish 1fichier doesn't disable or cap the API now that their cold storage got much more accessible.

If rclone supports 1fichier, IMO it's the go-to solution for backup storage :) thanks for sharing it!

Thanked by 1ITLabs
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

Thanks for sharing! This is great news :)

• @sgheghele said:
    rclone now supports 1fichier: https://rclone.org/fichier/

I've abandoned 1fichier since I bought it. Now with rclone support, it is possible for quick work.

Having like 10 months of CDN credits, that's good.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • vsysvsys Member
    edited November 2019

I am a scammer and fraudster.

• I've got lifetime with them, but lifetime in France is not that long compared to elsewhere.

• @shillshocked said:
    I've got lifetime with them, but lifetime in France is not that long compared to elsewhere.

Still regret not getting the lifetime deal with them back then.