Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Review&SPECIAL OFFER]1Fichier - Unlimited File Hosting Storage & 100GB/mo CDN for 10€/Year - Page 11
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[Review&SPECIAL OFFER]1Fichier - Unlimited File Hosting Storage & 100GB/mo CDN for 10€/Year

Comments

• sanvitsanvit Member

@Ympker said:
    @sanvit also has vouers for sale, I believe @willie

Yup. Only 4 left :)

https://sanvit.selly.store/product/e51b6ef5

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • williewillie Member

Thanks, Ympker and sanvit! Is the voucher equivalent to a $22 premium subscription, i.e. it even supplies a discount since sanvit is selling them for $18? Does the buyer have to use paypal, or does regular credit card work? Sanvit, where are you located (i.e. in the US?) if you don't mind my asking?

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • sanvitsanvit Member

@willie said:
    Thanks, Ympker and sanvit! Is the voucher equivalent to a $22 premium subscription, i.e. it even supplies a discount since sanvit is selling them for $18? Does the buyer have to use paypal, or does regular credit card work? Sanvit, where are you located (i.e. in the US?) if you don't mind my asking?

I actually bought those licenses when they were on discount (iirc 15EUR/y). Not sure of their current pricing. Sorry but i can only do paypal, but you can pya with credit card without a paypal account. I'm located in South Korea

• williewillie Member
    edited July 2019

Thanks, I might do this. Original goal (from other thread) was a more anonymous alternative to very low traffic, cheap or free basic web hosting. $18/year is quite a lot for that original purpose, but very good as a 2TB storage plan. So it's still worth doing except it means the goal changes. Thinking about it.

Thanked by 3sanvit Ympker vimalware
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

@willie said:
    Thanks, I might do this. Original goal (from other thread) was a more anonymous alternative to very low traffic, cheap or free basic web hosting. $18/year is quite a lot for that original purpose, but very good as a 2TB storage plan. So it's still worth doing except it means the goal changes. Thinking about it.

If you have any more questions just ask. Before buying just be aware (to make sure you're not disappointed) that 1Fichier originates from the idea of a file host. It doesn't offer the comfort of dropbox/gdrive..

You can only upload via FTP for example. You'd need to then download the files via direct link/web gui to access them. You also can't create any folders when connecting via FTP. What you can do though is create folders in the webgui and assign up to 10 different ftp users to them so files uploaded using their credentials automatically end up there. I'd also recommend not using your main ftp user for uploading. Create a seperate one :)

While it all sounds a bit limiting, it really isnt. That is, if all you want to do is backup/upload via ftp/remoteurl, share files, use as cdn host, or access other people's 1Fichier download links with full speed. The price is just a bang for the buck and they've been in business for like.. very long. Even operating their own network. Probably a lot more is even possible when you check out their API. I believe @default has checked this out more closely.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • williewillie Member

Yeah I've never used dropbox/gdrive and the only similarity I wanted was with the url format. I wouldn't want to run dropbox or google client software on my 'puter. I can live with ftp/ftps though scp is much more widespread in the server world these days.

What do you mean about create separate ftp users? Do you mean have multiple paid accounts ($$$)?

I guess I can live without folders, and just upload tarballs or zips instead. Doesn't seem like a big deal.

I wonder if Duplicity or Borgbackup already supports 1fichier as a backend.

What is the difference between hot and cold storage? Does cold storage take longer to access by amounts large enough to matter, like multi-hour C14 retrieval? Is it on tape or something? I recently heard there is an LTO tape media shortage going on, if that matters. Something about a patent dispute between tape manufacturers.

• sanvitsanvit Member

@willie said:
    What do you mean about create separate ftp users? Do you mean have multiple paid accounts ($$$)?

>

iirc you cannot make folder structures on 1fichier via FTP. You can however set a FTP user to create files on specific folder (up to 10)

I wonder if Duplicity or Borgbackup already supports 1fichier as a backend.

The last time I checked, no.

What is the difference between hot and cold storage? Does cold storage take longer to access by amounts large enough to matter, like multi-hour C14 retrieval? Is it on tape or something? I recently heard there is an LTO tape media shortage going on, if that matters. Something about a patent dispute between tape manufacturers.

It's just files that hasn't been accessed for certain amount of time. Nothing special. You get unlimited hot storage and 2TB of cold storage.

• uptimeuptime Member

@Ympker said:
    You can however set a FTP user to create files on specific folder (up to 10)

right - separate folders can be created via the web interface but not via FTP.

The web interface also supports creating up to 10 "ftp upload only" accounts (so can set different passwords). A specific folder can be designated for each ftp account's uploads.

The multiple ftp accounts are included as a convenience feature for the main paid account - no extra cost for those.

@SashkaPro suggested this script using lftp for (relatively) secure uplpads:

lftp -c 'open -e "set ftps:initial-prot ""; \
        set ftp:ssl-force true; set ftp:ssl-protect-data true; \
        put '/tmp/your.compressed.data.tgz'; " \
        -u '1FINCHUSER','1FICHPASSWORD' \
        ftp://'ftp.1fichier.com':21 '

(study it and modify as necessary)

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@uptime said:

@Ympker said:
    You can however set a FTP user to create files on specific folder (up to 10)

right - separate folders can be created via the web interface but not via FTP.

The web interface also supports creating up to 10 "ftp upload only" accounts (so can set different passwords). A specific folder can be designated for each ftp account's uploads.

The multiple ftp accounts are included as a convenience feature for the main paid account - no extra cost for those.

@SashkaPro suggested this script using lftp for (relatively) secure uplpads:

lftp -c 'open -e "set ftps:initial-prot ""; \
        set ftp:ssl-force true; set ftp:ssl-protect-data true; \
        put '/tmp/your.compressed.data.tgz'; " \
        -u '1FINCHUSER','1FICHPASSWORD' \
        ftp://'ftp.1fichier.com':21 '

(study it and modify as necessary)

Nice script!

Hot storage becomes cold storage after not being downloaded for 60 days (iirc).

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • williewillie Member

sanvit said: You get unlimited hot storage and 2TB of cold storage.

I see, so they don't keep files around that haven't been accessed for a while, unless they are saved as cold storage. Sounds easy enough to set up a cron script that (partially?) retrieves the hot files now and then, to keep them hot. 1 euro/TB for more cold storage is also amazing so I'd be inclined to just pay it.

uptime said: @SashkaPro suggested this script using lftp for (relatively) secure uplpads:

Thanks for this and the other info!

Thanked by 1uptime
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

@willie said:

sanvit said: You get unlimited hot storage and 2TB of cold storage.

I see, so they don't keep files around that haven't been accessed for a while, unless they are saved as cold storage. Sounds easy enough to set up a cron script that (partially?) retrieves the hot files now and then, to keep them hot. 1 euro/TB for more cold storage is also amazing so I'd be inclined to just pay it.

uptime said: @SashkaPro suggested this script using lftp for (relatively) secure uplpads:

Thanks for this and the other info!

I believe some have attempted to create a script that does just that, I'm not quite sure if anyone has succeeded though as it is not quite sure in which way the file needs to be accessed/downloaded.

• williewillie Member

How do the vouchers work--are they each good for a certain amount of credit, or what?

I'm still perplexed about how 1fichier can be doing this. The ad revenue for a 100GB download must be insignificant and they're not charging anywhere near enough even for cold storage to pay for the hardware and electricity required.

• sanvitsanvit Member
    edited July 2019

Nvm. Mis-read it

• defaultdefault Veteran

@willie said:
    How do the vouchers work--are they each good for a certain amount of credit, or what?

I'm still perplexed about how 1fichier can be doing this. The ad revenue for a 100GB download must be insignificant and they're not charging anywhere near enough even for cold storage to pay for the hardware and electricity required.

It's simple. Storage becomes cheaper and cheaper over time, as technology evolves. They gain low profits now, but good reputation is growing, and in time profits will increase just like storage will increase.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • williewillie Member
    edited July 2019

default said: They gain low profits now,

No I don't believe this. I think they have to be losing money on these offers, especially with the 1eu/tb overage availability. With the 2TB offer they can figure most users will only use a tiny fraction and make up for losses from the heavy users, but anyone who buys overage will actually use it.

Also, storage isn't getting cheaper that fast. A 10TB Ironwolf Pro drive was $380 on 2017-03-27 and it is $330 today. It will be a while before technology catches up with these offers.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • uptimeuptime Member
    edited July 2019

I guess they got some secret reserve of 1990's style web 1.0 dotcom mojo to draw from ...

"we lose money on every sale, but we make up for it on volume!"

I wonder if they might be able to de-duplicate (what I assume to be) the majority of their files being so much popular content that nobody really cares to encrypt.

We "already compressed and encrypted" backup heavies are probably the long tail of their equation. Apparently they do take notice after perhaps a few 10's of TB are uploaded but up to that point they're fine to let their excess capacity get used (for now).

EDIT2:

And their normal pricing is quite a bit higher - I imagine they may get a decent amount of revenue from "day trippers" who just want to download a few 100 GB without waiting / wading through the ad-nags ...

EDIT3:

They do seem to have been responding to (possibly) changing usage patterns - I am under the impression that the "2 TB cold storage" limit was introduced in the last year or two.

And it seems that their occasional deep-discount promotional prices have been trending upward compared to a couple years ago. So maybe they're keeping an eye on balancing growth with sustainability.

Or maybe they're just operating on a whole 'nother level, lol ... who knows. Enjoy it while it lasts I guess.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • williewillie Member
    edited July 2019

Oh that's a good point. Whenever someone publishes a popular large file, that helps create paid subscriptions from people who only download. So people like me who only upload personal backups aren't so good for them.

There are a few 1fichier threads on r/datahoarder that are interesting. I liked that a while back they sold off their used 4TB drives for 20 euro each (only to people in France though).

Thanked by 1uptime
  • williewillie Member

It's late here, something occurs to me about membership types but I'll check into it tomorrow.

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@default said:

@willie said:

It's simple. Storage becomes cheaper and cheaper over time, as technology evolves. They gain low profits now, but good reputation is growing, and in time profits will increase just like storage will increase.

They've also been around for a very long time😎 And are operating owned hardware iirc.

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@willie said:
    Oh that's a good point. Whenever someone publishes a popular large file, that helps create paid subscriptions from people who only download. So people like me who only upload personal backups aren't so good for them.

There are a few 1fichier threads on r/datahoarder that are interesting. I liked that a while back they sold off their used 4TB drives for 20 euro each (only to people in France though).

Exactly. Tbh I only use 200GB with them right now. So I'm having a low footprint on them, too. Also, it is true that many might've bought premium for a day to access some download at full speed without ads. 1Fichier has been (and still is) frecuented by many linux .iso uploads from many forums (iirc) so they certainly will get some revenue from that part.

• sanvitsanvit Member

@Ympker said:

@willie said:

Exactly. Tbh I only use 200GB with them right now. So I'm having a low footprint on them, too. Also, it is true that many might've bought premium for a day to access some download at full speed without ads. 1Fichier has been (and still is) frecuented by many linux .iso uploads from many forums (iirc) so they certainly will get some revenue from that part.

My premium account has like 10GB of files lol. It's mostly used to serve 1fichier.scdn.pw links ;)

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • williewillie Member
    edited July 2019

Ok, I'm trying to understand.

1. I notice when I upload a file without an account, downloading without an account requires dealing with an ad screen and stuff. If I upload with a premium account, does that mean users without accounts can direct download with no ads and stuff?

2. If the above requires cdn, can I use vouchers to pay the cdn fees? Added: I see premium includes 100gb cdn/month which should be enough for my immediate purposes, but if I wanted to add more, then what?

Thanks.

• sanvitsanvit Member
    edited July 2019

@willie said:

1. I notice when I upload a file without an account, downloading without an account requires dealing with an ad screen and stuff. If I upload with a premium account, does that mean users without accounts can direct download with no ads and stuff?

You need to either set it to use your CDN credits or use the 1fichier.scdn.pw link or your users without premium or CDN credits will see ads and inline doesn't work.

1. If the above requires cdn, can I use vouchers to pay the cdn fees? Added: I see premium includes 100gb cdn/month which should be enough for my immediate purposes, but if I wanted to add more, then what?

Premium includes 100GB/m CDN credits which stacks. If you need more, iirc you can pay to add more.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited July 2019

@willie said:

2. If the above requires cdn, can I use vouchers to pay the cdn fees? Added: I see premium includes 100gb cdn/month which should be enough for my immediate purposes, but if I wanted to add more, then what?

Thanks.

1. No. Free users/unregistered users will see ads even on your premmy downloads. There's two ways around this:

a) Mark your files as CDN for direct download (hotlink) . This will skip any ad screen and directly download the file but uses your CDN credits.

b) Setup a script like this one (I think @nulldev made it) on one of your websites:
    https://github.com/NicolasLoew/vps/blob/master/1fichier index.php

This way you can download files via yourdomain.tld/?a=uduwk923 where the part after ?a= equals the part of the regular 1Fichir share link. What it does is login on the backend with your 1Fichier premium acc so anyone downloading files via yourdomain.tld/.. downloads them as if he was using your acc. Hence no ads, and direct download that doesn't affect your cdn.

1. Not sure. Never needed to do that.
    Thanked by 1sanvit
  • sanvitsanvit Member

• williewillie Member

Sanvit, do the vouchers you are selling credit the account for some amount of euro, or do they just exchange for a 1 year premium account? The issue is I have no way to send money to 1fichier. I don't use bitcoin, they don't take credit cards at least in the pages I can see, and bank transfers are too expensive to think about. So my only clear approach is buy vouchers. Thanks.

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited July 2019

@willie - some more about the"premium download via login with reverse proxy" trick here: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/2970294/#Comment_2970294

1fichier impresses me as generally janky but maybe barely tolerable - until you pay something for it.

Then it's still a bit janky but premium deal lol.

Maybe best for cheap storage with a "set it and forget it" backup-of-backup-of-backup system, but can work okay for download links and image hosting as well.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

@willie said:
    Sanvit, do the vouchers you are selling credit the account for some amount of euro, or do they just exchange for a 1 year premium account? The issue is I have no way to send money to 1fichier. I don't use bitcoin, they don't take credit cards at least in the pages I can see, and bank transfers are too expensive to think about. So my only clear approach is buy vouchers. Thanks.

Why not buy from official resellers? @sanvit sells 1 year premium vouchers. I've bought one from him in the past :)

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited July 2019

+1 for sanvit's premium vouchers

they are indeed prem

Thanked by 3Ympker vimalware sanvit
  • williewillie Member

I'm happy to buy vouchers from sanvit. What I'm trying to figure out is whether they work for buying CDN credit, or only for accounts. I'm not likely to need CDN credit though, as 100GB/m is plenty for what I envision doing.

Thanked by 2uptime sanvit