Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SmallWeb - DirectAdmin Hosting, Free Migration, Let's Encrypt & Softaculous
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SmallWeb - DirectAdmin Hosting, Free Migration, Let's Encrypt & Softaculous

I'm sure you've heard there's a new sheriff in town by now. Here's the latest in SmallWeb’s offers

So.. the basics?

• Using DirectAdmin Stable Release.
  • Daily Backups retained for 14 days.
  • Free Let’s Encrypt SSL certificates.
  • Free Softaculous Apps Installer.
  • Free Website Migrations (CP/DA).
  • 99.99% Network Availability Rate.
  • Server in Luxembourg, Europe.
  • Server in New York City, USoA.

and now the plans!

Small-0.5 - £2.50 per year

• Host 3 SmallWeb Websites
  • 0.5GB Solid State Storage
  • 100GB Monthly Bandwidth

Small-1.0 - £5.00 per year

• Host 5 SmallWeb Websites
  • 1.0GB Solid State Storage
  • 250GB Monthly Bandwidth

Small-2.0 - £7.50 per year

• Host 9 SmallWeb Websites
  • 2.0GB Solid State Storage
  • 500GB Monthly Bandwidth

Pick your poison over at https://smallweb.net/directadmin.html - Twitter @SmallWebHost

Thanks =]

Comments

• This is OOS on the 0.5 and 1GB offers in the US.

• YmpkerYmpker Member

Good luck! :)

Thanked by 1MichaelCee
  • MichaelCeeMichaelCee Barred
    edited July 2019

@MTUser2012 said:
    This is OOS on the 0.5 and 1GB offers in the US.

Thanks for letting me know, I've cleared some non-payments. Appreciate it @Ympker <3

Thanked by 2MTUser2012 Ympker
  • Thanks. I ordered, invoice #41.

@Mic-hael said:

@MTUser2012 said:
    This is OOS on the 0.5 and 1GB offers in the US.

Thanks for letting me know, I've cleared some non-payments. Appreciate it @Ympker <3

Thanked by 1MichaelCee
  • emghemgh Member

Good luck. By the way, why limit addon domains but not sub domains? Basically the same thing. Is a client having 1 domain and using 100% of the CPU causing less than a client having 20 domains and using 5%?

I think we should step away from feature limits and rely more on CPU and Disk limits. Things that actually matter.

Obviously your company, your choice. Great to see a provider jumping in on the DA train. Might buy to see if it's anything for me.

Thanked by 1MichaelCee
  • @emgh said:
    Good luck. By the way, why limit addon domains but not sub domains? Basically the same thing. Is a client having 1 domain and using 100% of the CPU causing less than a client having 20 domains and using 5%?

I think we should step away from feature limits and rely more on CPU and Disk limits. Things that actually matter.

Obviously your company, your choice. Great to see a provider jumping in on the DA train. Might buy to see if it's anything for me.

The limits were ported from the cPanel plans for consistency, but I'll see how the next few weeks or so go and potentially I could increase or remove, needs a think.

• emghemgh Member

@Mic-hael said:

@emgh said:

The limits were ported from the cPanel plans for consistency, but I'll see how the next few weeks or so go and potentially I could increase or remove, needs a think.

Honestly it doesn't make sense for cPanel either. A subdomain and a addon domain is basically the same thing.

edited July 2019

@emgh said:

@Mic-hael said:

@emgh said:

Honestly it doesn't make sense for cPanel either. A subdomain and a addon domain is basically the same thing.

I mean there's gonna be pros and cons, in general would you rather have all your sites in one account or have a couple of accounts to split them through? Not many people use sub domains in my experience.

Especially multi blogging, one installation can go bad and then the entire thing goes boom.

I don't wanna set limits to set limits, rather to keep everyone good.

• emghemgh Member

Mic-hael said: I mean there's gonna be pros and cons, in general would you rather have all your sites in one account or have a couple of accounts to split them through?

If I were to buy shared hosting I'd prefer unlimited addon domains. If I were to buy reseller hosting then a couple of acounts obviousy. But this is shared hosting and I don't see any reason to enforce hard addon domain limits.

Mic-hael said: Especially multi blogging, one WordPress installation can go bad and then the entire thing goes boom.

How? I run around 20 WP installations using addon domains on cPanel.

Thanked by 1Lee
    edited July 2019

emgh said: If I were to buy shared hosting I'd prefer unlimited addon domains.

Many of us would but unfortunately it's not always good. Especially with cheap plans, hundreds of websites on one account can take away from other users. The limits are just there to say hey, you can host multiple websites on this account, but to keep everyone happy, you'll all get X. As I said earlier though, I'm happy to rethink it.

Anyone care to pitch in? Whether you've bought/going to or not :smile:

Thanked by 1emgh
  • @Mic-hael said:

Many of us would but unfortunately it's not always good. Especially with cheap plans, hundreds of websites on one account can take away from other users. The limits are just there to say hey, you can host multiple websites on this account, but to keep everyone happy, you'll all get X. As I said earlier though, I'm happy to rethink it.

The real question here is: what would you do for a Klondike bar?

Thanked by 1MichaelCee
  • @SirFoxy said:

@Mic-hael said:

10/10 meme, but as a Brit, not much

• SirFoxySirFoxy Member
    edited July 2019

@Mic-hael said:

@SirFoxy said:

@Mic-hael said:

10/10 meme, but as a Brit, not much

I'm going to begin exporting Klondike bars and getting Brits hooked on Klondikes like blow in the 80s.

Thanked by 1MichaelCee
  • @Mic-hael said:

I would tend to agree with you although sometimes you add domains for other reasons such as redirects, emails, etc.

With that said limits are good, but yours are kinda low... Maybe 5 addons, 10, 30, 50.

Thanked by 2MichaelCee emgh
    edited July 2019

@sureiam said:

@Mic-hael said:

I would tend to agree with you although sometimes you add domains for other reasons such as redirects, emails, etc.

With that said limits are good, but yours are kinda low... Maybe 5 addons, 10, 30, 50.

Thanks for your feedback @sureiam - I'll be working on this

edited July 2019

@emgh I've been thinking and so far my thoughts are that even if there are domain limits, maybe at least one plan should have unlimited. I will be testing this on the 2GB plan. But I may have to implement anti-abuse measures.

As said, the others may be a bit low, but I'll work on them over the coming weeks.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • HarambeHarambe Member, Host Rep

@emgh said:

You are technically correct (in that it's just another vhost config), but unlimited addons can attract some interesting folks. See: BuyShared applying limits to get rid of the 1k+ add-on domain affiliate spammers loading up accounts.

@Mic-hael I'd set reasonable limits (maybe 5/10/20) and give people the option to ticket to raise the limit if they truly need more.

• williewillie Member
    edited July 2019

0.5GB New York is in stock now. I didn't buy, but looks like good product. I don't see why have domain limits: we all hoard idle domains just like we do VPS, and it would be nice to run our own parking pages instead of using registrars'.

• angstromangstrom Moderator
    edited July 2019

@Harambe said: @Mic-hael I'd set reasonable limits (maybe 5/10/20) and give people the option to ticket to raise the limit if they truly need more.

Yeah, there's something not entirely conceptually satisfying about the current 3/5/9. Minimally, I would have thought 3/6/9, but 4/8/16 or 5/10/20 would be preferable and especially the last would be particularly attractive. :smile:

Thanked by 2emgh MichaelCee
  • donlidonli Member
    edited July 2019

@Harambe said:

@emgh said:

You are technically correct (in that it's just another vhost config), but unlimited addons can attract some interesting folks. See: BuyShared applying limits to get rid of the 1k+ add-on domain affiliate spammers loading up accounts.

Yes, the bottom line is although sub-domains are similar to separate domains in theory, in reality a shared hosting provider is more likely to experience increased resource usage from a each unique domain than each sub-domain.

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • emghemgh Member

@donli said:

@Harambe said:

@emgh said:

Yes, the bottom line is although sub-domains are similar to separate domains in theory, in reality a shared hosting provider is more likely to experience increased resource usage from a each unique domain than each add-on domain.

Ahhh I see and there's not Cloudlinux and so that might become an issue? I guess it's all about monitoring servers.

• donlidonli Member

@willie said:
    0.5GB New York is in stock now. I didn't buy, but looks like good product. I don't see why have domain limits: we all hoard idle domains just like we do VPS, and it would be nice to run our own parking pages instead of using registrars'.

Some shared hosting providers do have separate limits for full add-on domains and domains used just for parking pages.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • uptimeuptime Member

@willie said:
    we all hoard idle domains

for the longest time I've been happy to use Fastmail for simple parking and DNS for random idle domains. But that's a $50 per year solution - and a bit of a kludge (extremely limited functionality last time I checked).

So +1 for a domain parking lot deal here ...

• Bookmarked your offer. I still have 3 months to decide.

Thanked by 2MichaelCee Ympker
  • Yeah, my limits start to make less sense.

The plans are called 0.5 and 1.0... I would have expected myself to put the domains at 5 and 10 for consistency :P

Thanked by 1angstrom
  • williewillie Member

uptime said: Fastmail for simple parking

That's an interesting idea since I use them for email anyway, and I do have a few static sites with them. Alternatively I might just use a super cheap vps for parking since there will almost no parking traffic and I don't care if there is occasional downtime.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • willie said: Alternatively I might just use a super cheap vps for parking since there will almost no parking traffic and I don't care if there is occasional downtime.

Good choice, especially if you don't need a panel.

• MaherMaher Member

Great offer in a time of need.

Thanked by 1MichaelCee
  • Thanks @Maher!

NYC is closing up to 80% and will be OOS soon. LUX should be good for a few more once it's been boosted. =]

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • uptimeuptime Member

LUX should be good for a few more once it's been boosted.

what is mean bo-osted ?

Thanked by 2MichaelCee emgh