Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for Hetzner "10 TB SATA Enterprise Hard Drive" benchmark
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for Hetzner "10 TB SATA Enterprise Hard Drive" benchmark

hacktekhacktek Member

Any of y'all got one?

Comments

• williewillie Member
    edited July 2019

It holds 1e13 bytes of data or 9.09 TiB. That's the most important benchmark for this type of device. It's for bulk storage, basically a 21st century version of magtape. If you want speed, spend the money and get SSD's.

More generally, transfer speed will be in the low 100s of MB/sec and will vary with the head position, while seeks will be a couple hundred per second. It's a hard drive, probably 7200rpm which helps the rotational latency a little, but it's unlikely to be an expensive SAS drive which might seek a little faster. There's not much else to say about it.

They recently started offering 12TB drives too, if you care about that. Same considerations arise.

• StyxStyx Member

I have several of them, but im not able to provide any benches right now. Performance is around 100MB/s, depending on what you are doing. Though, they are useless for small random reads / writes. I just use them for pure storage for media files and backups.

• OK thx, random access is important for what I need.

Guess I'll have to go with the 1.9 TB SSD (or maybe two 960gig ones in RAID0). Shame, I really wanted the extra storage but can't have it all I guess.

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited July 2019

Don't expect miracle for good ole HDD.

That's like expecting @WSS to be like @JPg_