Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Get Data From Raid1 Disk
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Get Data From Raid1 Disk

bdspicebdspice Member

Hello.
I have a dedicated server from soyoustart. so i used virtualizor on the dedicated server to sliced into kvm vps. On a kvm vps, i installed cpanel. yesterday, i reinstall OS on that vps, so all data has been wiped. unfortunately a mysql database i export before reinstall OS has been corrupted. now i need that database very much. is there any way to get that mysql database from main raid server or anyhow? here is some information from my dedicated server might help:

CentOS Linux 7 (Core)
  Linux dedicated.imgmatter.com 3.10.0-693.11.6.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Thu Jan 4 01:06:37 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

[shaju@dedicated ~]$ sudo cat /proc/mdstat
[sudo] password for shaju:
Personalities : [raid1]
md3 : active raid1 sda3[0] sdb3[1]
      1744516032 blocks [2/2] [UU]

md2 : active raid1 sda2[0] sdb2[1]
      204798912 blocks [2/2] [UU]

unused devices: <none>
[shaju@dedicated ~]$ sudo fdisk -l
WARNING: fdisk GPT support is currently new, and therefore in an experimental phase. Use at your own discretion.

Disk /dev/sdb: 2000.4 GB, 2000398934016 bytes, 3907029168 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk label type: gpt
Disk identifier: 49DD4A8F-AE85-4BD5-90D2-B2255A6E4D73

#         Start          End    Size  Type            Name
 1           40         2048  1004.5K  BIOS boot parti bios_grub-sdb
 2         4096    409602047  195.3G  Linux RAID      primary
 3    409602048   3898634239    1.6T  Linux RAID      primary
 4   3898634240   3907020799      4G  Linux swap      primary
WARNING: fdisk GPT support is currently new, and therefore in an experimental phase. Use at your own discretion.

Disk /dev/sda: 2000.4 GB, 2000398934016 bytes, 3907029168 sectors
Disk label type: gpt
Disk identifier: 239E9FAC-D394-46A7-B8BA-C91CB8C99BA1

#         Start          End    Size  Type            Name
 1           40         2048  1004.5K  BIOS boot parti bios_grub-sda
 2         4096    409602047  195.3G  Linux RAID      primary
 3    409602048   3898634239    1.6T  Linux RAID      primary
 4   3898634240   3907020799      4G  Linux swap      primary

Disk /dev/md2: 209.7 GB, 209714085888 bytes, 409597824 sectors

Disk /dev/md3: 1786.4 GB, 1786384416768 bytes, 3489032064 sectors

[shaju@dedicated ~]$

Comments

• StyxStyx Member

No, that data is lost.

• imyunoimyuno Member

Raid is not backup. Don't think you will be able to recover from it unfortunately (maybe FS wise?)

Thanked by 1WebProject
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

few options.

if you just reinstalled and did not delete the VM first then you may be able to use extundelete.

I suggest add a 2nd disk to the virtual server, then boot it with sysrescuecd and use extundelete to try and recover the files.

http://extundelete.sourceforge.net/

if you did delete the server first or if virtualizor creates a new logical volume (unlikely) then you may just be able to restore the logical volume from the LVM metadata.

I would suggest though that to have the best possible chance of recovery you need to stop that VPS right now!

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

As above mentioned RAID is not backup, you need to use the lvdisplay or lsblk command to see any logical volumes.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    few options.

if you just reinstalled and did not delete the VM first then you may be able to use extundelete.

I suggest add a 2nd disk to the virtual server, then boot it with sysrescuecd and use extundelete to try and recover the files.

http://extundelete.sourceforge.net/

if you did delete the server first or if virtualizor creates a new logical volume (unlikely) then you may just be able to restore the logical volume from the LVM metadata.

I would suggest though that to have the best possible chance of recovery you need to stop that VPS right now!

I didnt delete old server, i just reinstalled OS on it. So i can recover data from that? Actually adding disk and use command ti recover is too risky for my new serve. Because i am totally unware about that.currently whole server running with live sites.I hope some expert on disk things will help me. I am willing to pay

edited July 2019

bdspice said: I didnt delete old server, i just reinstalled OS on it. So i can recover data from that? Actually adding disk and use command ti recover is too risky for my new serve. Because i am totally unware about that.currently whole server running with live sites.I hope some expert on disk things will help me. I am willing to pay

It is literally not possible to recover the data without disrupting the current running OS, like literally impossible.

Money is not the issue, you have to decide if an attempt to recover the data with 0 guarantee of success is worth disrupting the current OS for at least a few hours.

The longer you run your current OS the more unlikely the chances of recovery are and they are already small.

Adding an additional disk to a virtual server carries 0 risk to the current data and will be required for any recovery.

So it is possible but not without significant disruption and you would want to backup your current OS/data before starting as well.

Thanked by 1bdspice
  • @AnthonySmith said:

bdspice said: I didnt delete old server, i just reinstalled OS on it. So i can recover data from that? Actually adding disk and use command ti recover is too risky for my new serve. Because i am totally unware about that.currently whole server running with live sites.I hope some expert on disk things will help me. I am willing to pay

It is literally not possible to recover the data without disrupting the current running OS, like literally impossible.

Money is not the issue, you have to decide if an attempt to recover the data with 0 guarantee of success is worth disrupting the current OS for at least a few hours.

The longer you run your current OS the more unlikely the chances of recovery are and they are already small.

Adding an additional disk to a virtual server carries 0 risk to the current data and will be required for any recovery.

So it is possible but not without significant disruption and you would want to backup your current OS/data before starting as well.

i can stop current os for few hours. but how can i add additonal disk to virtual server? i need to tkae a backup before starting also because all data is too much important. how could i start the process?

If you use virtualizor you can add a second disk right in the web ui, take a close look I am sure you will find it.

If it’s only worth being able to take the server down a few hours to you I would suggest you just consider the data lost, this is not insignificant work and I don’t think you appreciate the dangers or complexity.

There is no magic button fix for this, you just put your homework in the washing machine, threw the ruined paper in the recycle bin and collected the paper cup that was made out of your homework and now you want the writing back.

Thanked by 1bdspice
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

The only way would be sending the HDD to a recovery company.

Even then he might end up getting another corrupted data.

Him attempting to do this on his own has no chance.

Thanked by 1bdspice
  • hardgamershardgamers Member
    edited July 2019

If you just delete and disk doesn't have a lot of activity then it is possible to recover. When you said that you REINSTALL OS on that VM, did you mean you use ISO for boot and install OS like on physical server or use some image/template ? I think if you use ISO for boot and install then as long as you not format all disks you still have a chance to recover files but your chance is smaller if you use image/templates.

Also file size is important, if you want to restore small size file then it have a higher chance , but if you want to restore a single big file then your chance is getting smaller.

Time and disk activity also another important factor, if you already have a lot of write on disk then your chance getting smaller... It's better if you shutdown virtual server right now.

So you need to :
    1. Add additional disk to your server, this will be used as restore destination. How to add another disk ? It's all depend on what you used to create your virtual server. Different software have different ways. Just read documentation of your software.

1. A live CD that have a restore apps. Just Google using keyword such as :
      Data recovery boot iso
      Or if you know spesific program then googling for :
      program name boot iso

2. Use this CD for booting your virtual server and try to restore your file, use additional disk as your destination so you will not overwrite a block in your current disk.

Thanked by 1bdspice
  • @AnthonySmith said:
    If you use virtualizor you can add a second disk right in the web ui, take a close look I am sure you will find it.

If it’s only worth being able to take the server down a few hours to you I would suggest you just consider the data lost, this is not insignificant work and I don’t think you appreciate the dangers or complexity.

There is no magic button fix for this, you just put your homework in the washing machine, threw the ruined paper in the recycle bin and collected the paper cup that was made out of your homework and now you want the writing back.

ok i found add a second disk option on web ui. so i am avail to add one. now you are confusing me by saying that you just said. i know its complex. but if i take backup of current data, then tried to recover the old one, will it still danger? help me to do the whole process. i want to take a chance since i have taken 180gb data backup on my computer already.

• bdspice said: help me to do the whole process.

How much are you willing to spend for someone here's hand holding :)

Thanked by 1bdspice
  • @rajprakash said:

bdspice said: help me to do the whole process.

How much are you willing to spend for someone here's hand holding :)

its depend. i need only one mysql database about 150mb. nothing else

@hardgamers said:
    If you just delete and disk doesn't have a lot of activity then it is possible to recover. When you said that you REINSTALL OS on that VM, did you mean you use ISO for boot and install OS like on physical server or use some image/template ? I think if you use ISO for boot and install then as long as you not format all disks you still have a chance to recover files but your chance is smaller if you use image/templates.

Also file size is important, if you want to restore small size file then it have a higher chance , but if you want to restore a single big file then your chance is getting smaller.

Time and disk activity also another important factor, if you already have a lot of write on disk then your chance getting smaller... It's better if you shutdown virtual server right now.

So you need to :
    1. Add additional disk to your server, this will be used as restore destination. How to add another disk ? It's all depend on what you used to create your virtual server. Different software have different ways. Just read documentation of your software.

1. A live CD that have a restore apps. Just Google using keyword such as :
      Data recovery boot iso
      Or if you know spesific program then googling for :
      program name boot iso

2. Use this CD for booting your virtual server and try to restore your file, use additional disk as your destination so you will not overwrite a block in your current disk.

i need only one mysql database about 150mb. nothing else. since i used virtualizor, i used os templates (centos-7.6-x86_64.img) file to re-install. is it possible? its been 2days almost.

• any update from anyone to rescue my database? anyone interested to get 10-20$ for a cup of coffee?

• ITLabsITLabs Member

@bdspice said:
    any update from anyone to rescue my database?

Perhaps @24x7technicalsupport can help you.

Thanked by 2FoxelVox bdspice
  • FalzoFalzo Member

@bdspice probably not what you want to hear, but chances are already really low to recover whatever you are looking for. also there is far too much information missing.

e.g.:
    is the VM deployed on a disk image and is that sparse, using discard or not, and what filesystem?
    did you reinstall to the very same image by using an iso image or did you reinstall by using a template (which most likely deleted the old image and created a new one)?
    how big is the node HDD at all, and how much free space is/was there.

depending on how these questions are answered it is too decide whether you need to recover inside the VM or look for the old disk-image on the node or if you just can fold it anyway...

Thanked by 1bdspice
  • bdspice said: 10-20$

You're probably going to have to multiply this by 10 (at the absolute bare minimum) for any in depth help.

Thanked by 1bdspice