Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shared/Reseller offers facilitated by cPanel - N̶o̶ ̶l̶o̶n̶g̶e̶r̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶o̶w̶e̶d̶ - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Shared/Reseller offers facilitated by cPanel - N̶o̶ ̶l̶o̶n̶g̶e̶r̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶o̶w̶e̶d̶

Comments

• ShazanShazan Member, Host Rep

Their forum seems to work again, the discussion is located at https://forums.cpanel.net/threads/announcing-account-based-pricing.656071/

• TinFoil2019TinFoil2019 Member
    edited June 2019

All providers better read the TOS they randomly copied and are using. If you have long term deals with your resellers- you just may be stuck servicing them for the duration of your agreement with them, ie unlimited accounts is unlimited accounts and they don't care what your cost is.

Thanked by 3Daniel15 taubin switsys
  • mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

@Lee said:

mikho said: We are all depending on someone/thing else in one way or another.

Well of course, but it is the far-reaching effect on a single dependency that is the issue, not lifes dependancies in general that are the concern.

Agree, that is why you don’t rely on selling just one product.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Well, it's never a good idea to rely heavily on the most popular software.

That includes WordPress and Windows.

• Excellent move. Time to hit cPanel hard for their insanity.

• @deank said:
    Well, it's never a good idea to rely heavily on the most popular software.

That includes WordPress and Windows.

Time, knowledge and experience are also things to consider, apart from the price alone:

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/end-of-an-open-source-era-linux-pioneer-munich-confirms-switch-to-windows-10/

• LeeLee Veteran

mikho said: Agree, that is why you don’t rely on selling just one product.

There is that, but anyway, at this point in time, my fears have protected me. I have already done what I need to do in order to maintain BAU without any existing customer being affected and no need to drop cPanel.

Thanked by 1miniswift
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I spent yesterday testing Direct Admin, it is just not the same product offering and I don't want to offer the poor alternative.

I spent today testing Cyberpanel, imo its more end user freindly than DA but it lacks a lot, so again a poor alternative.

I have tested interworks/ispconfig in the past, really not an option for me.

vestacp is not even close and not commercial grade.

So I will just be scrapping the whole reseller plans idea, putting up shared hosting prices and giving it 6 months to see how the dust settles, obviously trust fro cpanel commercially is gone, I will have to swallow some customer costs out of fairness and as such i will not be offering overly cheap shared hosting any more.

Prices updated to reflect this, I do hope they come out with an unlimited account license though, I do not mind that they put prices up, I mind that they believe it is their business to tell us how to run ours and have become ransomware.

• LeeLee Veteran

AnthonySmith said: I spent yesterday testing Direct Admin, it is just not the same product offering and I don't want to offer the poor alternative.

I may run a new server with DA as better than cPanel resources for less cost just to see the uptake and also to have some diversity just in case cPanel pushes the limits more with further price increases. Maybe, not sure.

But I agree, side by side DA is just not as good overall as cPanel, like it or not that is fact. Perhaps though this will push them into improving it further.

Not saying DA is bad, but it's a step back for all users used to cPanel.

yep good idea.

@Harambe I know you mean that in good humor but I am still at stage 1 and to be clear my outrage is primarily because of the impacts on others, it actually has not really hurt me much at all.

Thanked by 1Harambe
  • MechanicWebMechanicWeb Member, Patron Provider

I do not really like the idea of banning cPanel based hosting offers. No point in punishing for using cPanel at this point.

The providers are already suffering from the price hike. Preventing them from selling would only add to the death blow.

If you have a couple of servers, it's already to the point of impossible to switch to another control panel, considering the tons of unknown issues involved, on top of it, existing customers might not like the switch at all.

Not that I post offers on LET, still, I would like for LET to reconsider this.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited June 2019

MechanicWeb said: I do not really like the idea of banning cPanel based hosting offers. No point in punishing for using cPanel at this point.

It is the right move, it is not a ban, just a suspension to let everyone take stock. Some providers might still not realise what the impact is, in fact, it is guaranteed.

You only have to look at the offers section to see the potential impact. I mean @AnthonySmith just put out a 1 EUR annual plan for cPanel before the news broke. I know he is all over it and I would trust him along with a few others that they can deal with that.

Everyone else posting offers on here? Not so much. As soon as the first new invoices hit some of these providers they will fold like a deck of cards. That is going to affect a lot of customers, especially those that paid annually or more, they likely won't see the full length of that term whatever is left.

Not about punishing cPanel or providers. Everyone needs some space to think, not space to advertise more.

But then some probably don't even have 100 customers, so a mixed bag of effects.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

We will welcome the drama when the new invoice hit the clueless.

• @Lee said:

AnthonySmith said: I spent yesterday testing Direct Admin, it is just not the same product offering and I don't want to offer the poor alternative.

I may run a new server with DA as better than cPanel resources for less cost just to see the uptake and also to have some diversity just in case cPanel pushes the limits more with further price increases. Maybe, not sure.

But I agree, side by side DA is just not as good overall as cPanel, like it or not that is fact. Perhaps though this will push them into improving it further.

Not saying DA is bad, but it's a step back for all users used to cPanel.

Even some one is affected for all of it server by only $XXX per month. that ends up as $XXXX per year which is a price of one good new server or 1-2 monthly salaries (depending on where on the XXX range that gets) and my main reason to be pro-active is that we do not have any defense of them doing it again even in more severe way (per addon domain) based on the same logic that servers get better.... and the only way to mitigate this to have more than one panel on an company level (siteground are developing their own panel close than an year now) and if that work on an industry level cPanel loss market share they will be pressured to never attempt such stunt again ...

At I first think of cutting our reinvestment strategy but that is stupid for a growing company... After a talk with my business partner we decide to absorb the new costs and earn less money next year (money which cPanel will get for literally nothing) and to proceed with my second idea which is to get at least 1 new server with DA for every product line we have (get the price the same to cPanel with better price for long term commitment compared to the price of cPanel plans as price difference between panels will allow that) show first the DA plans to the potential customers if they click to choose a cPanel instead of DA a red bordered field will show up warning that states that: due to known predatory practice of cPanel to increase price of their hosing panels with up to 800% for different provider with short notice price for cPanel hosting plans can be subject to increase at any moment in the future

cPanel cannot sue my for defamation as statement is true an even spread in the press ...

• level6level6 Member
    edited June 2019

Reseller plans should be sold for a lower monthly/yearly fee and charge per cPanel. The change in pricing, from fixed to variable should be included in cPanel plans. Shared plans should also charge for each cPanel.

Lee said: Not about punishing cPanel or providers. Everyone needs some space to think, not space to advertise more.

But then some probably don't even have 100 customers, so a mixed bag of effects.

Then the response should also have mixed options. For example, a lower and upper limit for cPanel based hosting in terms of pricing. It would make more sense.

Some providers will fold all the time. Now, the smaller providers are hit by a death strike. Suspending (effectively preventing) cPanel based offers isn't helping them at all.

Really, I don't see how it adds any benefit to some segments of the cPanel based hosting industry, or as a whole, or to the clients.

• @level6 said:
    Reseller plans should be sold for a lower monthly/yearly fee and charge per cPanel. The change in pricing, from fixed to variable should be included in cPanel plans. Shared plans should also charge for each cPanel.

This is complicated to keep track of.

Think it's better to make 5, 10, 15, 25, 40... cPanel reseller packages and charge them at a fixed monthly rate accordingly. Users can then "upgrade/downgrade" their plans, always paying a fixed monthly rate for the plan.

Perhaps adding combinations with more, or less storage.

But offering "unlimited/unmetered" cPanel reseller packages makes no sense now, even when charging per cPanel - since it's complicated to keep track of IMO. Maybe some providers could correct me if I'm wrong.

coolice said: to proceed with my second idea which is to get at least 1 new server with DA for every product line

That would be a bold move. I am looking for alternatives myself. At first, DA seemed to be a good option. But the lack of usability for end users kind of left me no option to consider DA. We need something that looks and feels like cPanel, or similar. DA is all about links. Clients are not going to like it.

• level6level6 Member

Why should anyone trust DA going forward? Might as well stay with cPanel. If DA does improve, what would stop them from raising prices? With so few decent commercial offerings (Plesk #2, but also Oakley) there's low price elacticity.

Thanked by 2bikegremlin mk1
  • @level6 said:
    Why should anyone trust DA going forward? Might as well stay with cPanel. If DA does improve, what would stop them from raising prices? With so few decent commercial offerings (Plesk #2, but also Oakley) there's low price elacticity.

lifetime licenses

Thanked by 1corbpie
  • If you are a provider that sold tons of reseller unlimited or with large resources, you may want to consider finding other providers that may have 1 or 3 year licenses with significant time remaining and see if they are open to a purchase or sale. Or move to a company with a proprietary interface. Either scenario- at least you contain the damage.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited June 2019

coolice said: Even some one is affected for all of it server by only $XXX per month.

No actually, I know of several providers that have a per-server density of fewer than 100 clients. At worst each licence cost them $45 last month and it will continue to cost that $45 every month in the future, so it has zero effect on them.

MechanicWeb said: Then the response should also have mixed options. For example, a lower and upper limit for cPanel based hosting in terms of pricing. It would make more sense.

You are over thinking it. All that is happening is that offers have been paused so that providers have time to think about what they will do in response to the pricing change. Once some time has passed offers will be allowed again.

Besides, the providers that offer shared/reseller hosting already have their offers visible in the offers section, most of the time they are simply repeating the same thing so nothing is being lost if people really want to take the chance in buying right now.

If you look in the offers section you will see providers are putting plans out of stock to consider what they will do. If a provider is not making some form of announcement about this then best stay away from them quite frankly.

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@level6 said:

Hence why I'd recommend ISPConfig as it is free from the get-go and offers way to support development financially if interested :)

• LeeLee Veteran

I looked at ISPConfig for a project last year, I maybe didn't give it right time but I came away thinking WTF did I just see there...

Thanked by 2AnthonySmith Ympker
  • coolicecoolice Member
    edited June 2019

@MechanicWeb said:

coolice said: to proceed with my second idea which is to get at least 1 new server with DA for every product line

That would be a bold move. I am looking for alternatives myself. At first, DA seemed to be a good option. But the lack of usability for end users kind of left me no option to consider DA. We need something that looks and feels like cPanel, or similar. DA is all about links. Clients are not going to like it.

People sell skins for DA at their forums so theme system seems to be open ... someone at WHT tread confirmed that theme is mostly css but I do not know that first hand yet ... My business partner is a developer but is on vacation now when he returns next week we will look on how hard will be to customize the UI

Also it will be good opportunity for someone to profit from such theme

• JorboxJorbox Member

I have a good knowledge in css if anyone needs help

• @Lee said:

coolice said: Even some one is affected for all of it server by only $XXX per month.

No actually, I know of several providers that have a per-server density of fewer than 100 clients. At worst each licence cost them $45 last month and it will continue to cost that $45 every month in the future, so it has zero effect on them.

We are on LET I always think the providers here use big VMs (on entire server with proxmox) and cPanel #notallproivers as it hard to maintain low prices.... if you have 3 VMs with more than 30 clients it will be $87 at minimum increase

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@Lee said:
    I looked at ISPConfig for a project last year, I maybe didn't give it right time but I came away thinking WTF did I just see there...

I can see why Hestia/Vesta looks more tempting, believe me :) It's just the overall stability and vibes in terms of updates/devs/community I get from ISPConfig that keep me thinking in favour of it :P And afterall it has everything I need^^

Jorbox said: I have a good knowledge in css if anyone needs help

#muscles {
       display: flex;
    }