Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Remember VPSAO? It's out!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Remember VPSAO? It's out!

I don't know if you remember VPSAO, but it shuts down anyway. I just got the following e-mail:

Dear Clients,

It is with a very sad and heavy heart that I announce the closure of VPSAO.com

We deeply regret this choice, but are no longer able to keep running.

All Systems will be shut down by end of business today.  Please take your backups now.

Sincerely,

Yong Zhang

Cooking popcorn for another summer host drama...

Comments

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

lol... dropping like flies.

Appeared on LEB in January of this year offering (who would have guessed it)..... 3-year deals... only to crash and burn several months later, as expected.

@CVPS_Chris, see the problem yet? No..? Alright, then.

• They're still accepting offers. Brb, signing up for the drama.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

so clearly something about having your servers with colocrossing = BAD business model

The prices are well known and very cheap so its not a financial issue, perhaps the hardware and network they provide is SO BAD it is impossible to keep customers even paying bottom of the barrel prices?

Lets pretend for a second that they are legit businesses (LOL), no seriously lets pretend for the discussion they are legit businesses, what other possible reason is there that SO MANY fail in colocrossing?

colocrossing prices = CHEAP
    promotion = FREE
    end user price = LOW

so whats the problem?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Threshold has been reached, lets pull the plug.

• lonealonea Member, Host Rep

Back in the day when server mania was having a price war with CC, I believe the lowest price I've seen was $39 for a 1240 v3 with 16GB ram and 120GB SSD. You need to be able to generate at least $500 / year on the server to at least able to recoup the cost of the server alone. I think the cost these days is at least double for the same specs.

Lowend server pricing is nothing but a pyramid scheme. You need more and more people to pay the yearly cost in order to subsides for the old customers.

• hzrhzr Member

lonea said: server mania was having a price war with CC

Is there something I'm missing or is servermania hosted at CC anyway

• lonealonea Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2019

Sure, they are colocated there.

HVH, SM, CC, and probably CVPS was fighting for the same piece of the low end pie.

PS- SM is a different company than CC. SM actually owned the hardware they sell, unlike HVH.

@hzr said:

lonea said: server mania was having a price war with CC

Is there something I'm missing or is servermania hosted at CC anyway

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

What will the 3000 customers do naao ? :'(

• teamaccteamacc Member
    edited June 2019

Upon their first order, allowing 3 year orders, they did not have the company for a full month yet.

Their WHMCS payment was expired. They claimed the reminder email was sent to "the old email account which they hadnt switched over yet".

This means that in that first month, they had no need to do any back-end administration, as that would clearly give them a notification that their license needed updating.

Upon pointing out their lapse in WHMCS license, my comment on LEB was held for about a week in the moderation queue. When it was finally released, a reply from vpsAO was posted within a few hours.

Here's their response, verbatim. On LEB. Public information.

Please also note that their ssl cert was not renewed at the same time, meaning that the company acquired the website AND the complete server infra including a certificate allowing them to potentially decode earlier transmissions between clients and the site.

• HurleyHurley Member

@Kevin_vpsAO Tell us a story, my friend you faggot.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Did I read it right?

Shut down by end of the day? Less than a day of notice?

Thanked by 1emgh
  • alvinalvin Member

Dramatic end, closed on the same day of the announcement... Why not announce it early?

Can't announce early if you have no idea how finance works.

The dude probably had no idea until he tried to buy a Steam game and realized no money was there.

• "Out"

That word doesn't mean what you think it means.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

So can we use this one as the example, lets try and encourage as many people as possible to file an actual charge back when possible, even if it is only for $10 with the charge back fee's if enough people do it perhaps we can force the owner (scam artist) in to personal bankruptcy.

• jordynegen11jordynegen11 Member
    edited June 2019

Cooking popcorn for another summer host drama...

The summer isn't even started yet 🤣👍

There are always kids who experience premature ejaculations.

This is one.

• defaultdefault Veteran

• imokimok Member

Why VPSAO customers are not posting here? They should had started already.

• defaultdefault Veteran

@imok said:

Wait... services are still up...

Either that, he really has only 30 clients.

Always remove 2 or 3 zeroes when they claim something. Since he claimed "3000 clients", I think 30 is more of a realistic figure.

• @deank said:
    Either that, he really has only 30 clients.

Always remove 2 or 3 zeroes when they claim something. Since he claimed "3000 clients", I think 30 is more of a realistic figure.

You are underestimating the amount of people that are willing to throw money, thinking that its the deal of a lifetime.
    They could easily have over 3000 customers.
    $$/3yrs usually gets a lot of sign ups, and even more broken hearts and failed paypal chargebacks after that

edited June 2019

Sure, look at AR, they claimed 100,000 clients.

But see how little reactions their now-2-week downtime has. Granted, only a small portion overreact but a client base size of 100,000 will case havoc if true.

It wasn't.

P.S. (edit)
    In my experience, it's usually 10% of client base that enter PMS when things go horribly wrong.
    Based on that, AR has around 1,000 clients. I take their twitter post that has the most comments (96) and multiply by 10.

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@imok said:

Yeah, thinking the same.@FAT32 - any chatter on the Chinese forums? With supercheap yearlies and a LA location, I'd imagine a large portion (if not the majority) were Chinese customers.

Thanked by 1FAT32
  • FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire
    edited June 2019

@MasonR said:
    Yeah, thinking the same.@FAT32 - any chatter on the Chinese forums? With supercheap yearlies and a LA location, I'd imagine a large portion (if not the majority) were Chinese customers.

There are about 3 threads open at the same time as this thread (11:15pm, 11:27pm, 11:34pm GMT+8), I believe there will be more but it is early morning now.

Some interesting comments:

• "Is this the same Yong Zhang? CEO of Alibaba Group: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Zhang"
    • "Please don't buy VPS by local owners" (Local in this context means Chinese owners)
    • "VirMach, please don't be the next one or we will no longer have cheap VPS"
  • ChuckChuck Member

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/154905/hiformance-scum-is-back-with/p1

I can predict the future!

Next time, before you buy servers on lowendbox.com , you should call me first.
    First Time Callers get 3 Minutes Free!

• ChuckChuck Member
    edited June 2019

Here was the ass @Kevin @Yong Zhang @Daniel Zhang lied from 5 months ago:

@Kevin_vpsAO said:
    Hello Everyone,

Firstly, I am not certain how we got tied up in this thread. However the reported issue has been fixed, see below:

For full transparency, the issue was that we did not receive the email notifications that our WHMCS bill was due. This was not an error on WHMCS's side, but on our side, as we recently took over the assets of vpsAO and did not update the vendor notification email for WHMCS. We were only a few days past due on the license, so it did not trigger any license suspensions on our side, so was not made aware of the fact the license was suspended till now.

We have sorted this out by updating the main email on file with whmcs.com/members and also set up a payment subscription to avoid this happening again.

I fully agree that if you are using a pirated version of WHMCS you should not be in business in the first place. I would like to state that never have we used a pirated version of WHMCS, and I am happy to send invoices/proof to any moderators, or you can contact WHMCS Support yourself to confirm that we have never ran a pirated install of WHMCS and that vpsao.com has been actively paying for a license even before now.

To address the other concern brought up regarding our company, Alan Gu is no longer with vpsAO since acquiring the company. We have now updated the contact information displayed on invoices, and thank you for bringing that up to our attention.

Lastly, if it was not already clear, then I would like to confirm we have no affiliation with the mentioned host in the topic, HiFormance.

Regards

Kevin - vpsAO
    [email protected]

• donlidonli Member

So what happened to "RC Portfolio"?

From what LEB said about them in their deal posted in Jan:

vpsAO.com appears to have been in business since 2016, but was acquired and is now funded by new management (RC Portfolio) as of October 2018. This is our first time featuring vpsAO’s offers here and we think you’ll enjoy these attractive offers they’re providing exclusive to our community! We look forward to hearing your feedback about their services and support quality considering the value of these specials, their new management, and their recent improvements!

According to their press release, “RC Portfolio plans to incorporate proven industry and business management expertise to provide improved service to existing vpsAO clientele. In addition, RC Portfolio has already started to implement its staff of hosting experts to support the customers of vpsAO; immediately decreasing response times and improving support quality for clients.” Robert Ingram, Managing Director at RC Portfolio further states, “We intend to use our available resources and expertise to provide a new and improved level of service for existing and future vpsAO customers.”

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider
    edited June 2019

deank said: Sure, look at AR, they claimed 100,000 clients.

100000 clients is easy if you operate multiple and acquire business and provide very cheap service . Many join and try for some time and never come back . Bet they have just 100k customer data in whmcs .

but 100000 active customers with service is difficult . If they said active clients , then trump is right

• IonSwitch_StanIonSwitch_Stan Member, Host Rep

In this thread ... @deank modernizing the “German tank problem” where estimates of tanks were made based on serial numbers into customers based on twitter posts. 10/10.

Thanked by 1uptime