Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VM's on SoYouStart Dedicated
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VM's on SoYouStart Dedicated

I have a dedicated server from SoYouStart/OVH and ordered some additional IP's with it that I would like to use with virtual machines. I am trying to assign the additional IP's the the virtual machines I am creating. The host machine is running Ubuntu 18.04 and I installed KVM/Qemu. I created a Ubuntu 18.04 virtual machine as a test and am trying to assign one of the additional IP's to it.

I have read the guides here and here. I have searched google and read through many forum posts, guides, blogs, etc. I can't find a working configuration.

The main IP of the server is 192.99.100.xx, which makes the default gateway 192.99.100.254. The block of IP's I got are 54.39.238.xx/28. I have set up a virtual MAC for the IP I am using which is 02:00:00:79:7f:12. I know where to put the MAC address assuming the rest of the configuration works.

The hosts 01-netcfg.yaml looks like this. The guides never say so but I'm assuming I need to set up a bridge. The host loses connectivity with this config though.

network:
   version: 2
   renderer: networkd
   ethernets:
      eno1:
         dhcp4: no
         dhcp6: no

bridges:
      br0:
         interfaces: [eno1]
         addresses: [192.99.100.xx/24]
         gateway4: 192.99.100.254
         nameservers:
            addresses: [8.8.8.8,8.8.4.4]

The virtual machine's 01-netcfg.yaml is set up as follows like the guide suggests.

network:
    ethernets:
       ens3:
            addresses: [54.39.238.xx/32]
            gateway4: 192.99.100.254
            nameservers:
               addresses: [8.8.8.8,8.8.4.4]
            routes:
            - to: 192.99.100.254/32
              via: 0.0.0.0
              scope: link

I have the exact same setup with another provider on a dedicated server that is working but it is my understanding that OVH does things differently and there is some extra configuration needed. I am using just a fresh install of Ubuntu 18.04 and installed KVM/qemu, virt-install, etc. created the VM with virt-install. I would prefer to not use Promox, VMware, or any of the likes. It's just a personal server for projects that I'm trying to split into a few VM's. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Comments

• HostBasticHostBastic Member, Host Rep

You need to create a KVM Bridge and modify your network interface to make the bridge permanent.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Just use the Proxmox template that SoYouStart does provide.

• @HostBastic As shown in the first codeblock I have created a bridge, however, the host loses connectivity.

@Neoon I don't really need a web panel.

• FalzoFalzo Member

@Legendlink I'd try to define the interface in the bridge block differently and also go with a hostroute setup for the bridge as well, subnet /32 and route to/via, like described on the ovh page you referred to...

the host should obviously not loose connection or at least be able to build a connection after reboot.

I am not good with netplan yet but suggest this for host:

network:
       ethernets:
          eno1:

bridges:
          br0:
             addresses:
               - 192.99.100.xx/32
             interfaces:
               - eno1
             nameservers:
                  addresses: [ "8.8.8.8", "8.8.4.4" ]
             routes:
               - to: 0.0.0.0/0
                  via: 192.99.100.254 
                  scope: link
                  on-link: true

once you have the host up and running with the bridge instead of eno1, adjust your guest accordingly, be aware that in your guest config you mixed to and via in the route: part... obviously to should be the destination aka public internet and via the gateway ;-)

• @Falzo I played with a couple settings with that config you wrote. Trying to ping out is the same story. "Network is unreachable" or "Destination host unreachable."

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • akhfaakhfa Member
    edited May 2019

Just don't forget to do full reboot after every network related config changes ;)

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

You may want a routed network setup instead.
    AFAIK Bridged won't work.

• FalzoFalzo Member

@FHR said:
    You may want a routed network setup instead.
    AFAIK Bridged won't work.

bridged definitely works, you need a virtual mac, but he mentioned that he got that already. there is something off with the initial setup in netplan as the node should not lose connection regardless of the setup for guests - maybe change back to ifupdown...

just checked one of my older SYS dedis running proxmox. the /etc/network/interfaces looks like this:

# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
    # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

auto vmbr0
    iface vmbr0 inet static
        address 176.31.xx.xx
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        network 176.31.xx.0
        broadcast 176.31.xx.255
        gateway 176.31.xx.254
        bridge_ports eth0
        bridge_stp off
        bridge_fd 0

so nothing fancy in there, not even pointopoint...

@Legendlink you do have bridge-utils installed, right?

• Your config seems correct....

In which datacenter is your server located? There is 1 datacenter @OVH that requires another default gateway. Don't ask me why but this was actually a problem for us in the past.

• LegendlinkLegendlink Member
    edited May 2019

I was doing a full reboot between changes, yes. I have almost the exact same config running on a Dacentec dedicated, just with their IP's and without the routes.

@jordynegen11 I'm in BHS3

@Falzo Yep, installed.

• FalzoFalzo Member

@Legendlink said:

then I have to admit I am sadly out of ideas...

• v3ngv3ng Member, Patron Provider

Does OVH even support Routed setups?

• Just wondering if subnets are also supported in bridged mode - I thought usually subnets need to be routed via the main IP of the server but I'm not sure.

• akhfaakhfa Member

Have you enable Ipv4 forward?

• @akhfa enabled/disabled didn't make a difference.

• So it is possible @Falzo is correct in that I should use ifupdown. I didn't bother replacing netplan with ifupdown on Ubuntu 18.04 but I did install Debian 9 and the bridge works fine. Curious as to why it doesn't work on Ubuntu with netplan...

Thanked by 1Falzo