Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reasons to not use AWS? Looking for Negative / Positive feedback
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Reasons to not use AWS? Looking for Negative / Positive feedback

Hey LET, I was just wondering if you've had experience with AWS. Can you please share with me, reason why you like using, or do not like using AWS?

Thanks for your wisdom.

Comments

• edfoxedfox Member

Not worth the money, unless you buy big bulk.

Thanked by 1Vondelphia
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2019

Check their bandwidth cost. Last I saw Lightsail was $80/TB after your original allocation so I assume AWS instances aren't much different.

• donlidonli Member
    edited May 2019

@Vondelphia said:
    Hey LET, I was just wondering if you've had experience with AWS. Can you please share with me, reason why you like using, or do not like using AWS?

Thanks for your wisdom.

Reasons against:

(1) Cost. There are usually cheaper options unless you need a giant amount of resources.

(2) The Borg. Sure Amazon is your friend today but one day they may turn on you and where will you go then?

• Seems no one has listed any pros yet, so here are some:

1) Scale at speed, automatically. Set up what EC2 instance(s) you need now with a little overhead then use auto-scaling to ramp up and down automatically when needed.
    2) Snapshots, live in-flight snapshots whenever you need them.
    3) S3 buckets, cheap & fast storage with $0 transfer cost if you transfer to/from a bucket in the same region as your instance. Push content you don't use often from S3 into glacier for even cheaper $ per GB figures.
    3) Route 53 DNS, use it for DNS and also intelligent routing based on your instances 'health' all from within AWS
    4) RDS, host your databases within RDS so you don't affect your server load
    5) ELB, load traffic across instances with ease and intelligence built-in
    6) Cost reduction with commitment, take a look at reserved instances you can do X months or X years, doing so will reduce your $ per minute rate hugely (for longer-term lock-ins)
    7) Reliability, if one of AWS' host nodes has a bad time your instance can be bought up on a new one in seconds

We host all of our shared hosting services on Amazon, in the UK and the USA in different availability regions also. Sure the cost is higher than grabbing a dedicated server from somewhere else, but the service we receive from Amazon is second to none. Ultimately it allows us to be secure in the knowledge our infrastructure can scale with us and they're not going anywhere!

Everyone has their own opinion mind, this is just mine :smile:

• Oh also, I forgot to mention their Free Tier, which will give you an allocation of usage for free each month - this really helps reduce your operating costs in the first 12 months whilst you get used to things and optimize how you use AWS.

• @HugotonHosting said:
    Oh also, I forgot to mention their Free Tier, which will give you an allocation of usage for free each month - this really helps reduce your operating costs in the first 12 months whilst you get used to things and optimize how you use AWS.

With 15GB/mo bandwidth? lol

• @hostnoob said:
    With 15GB/mo bandwidth? lol

Yep, but also 750 hours of Amazon EC2 Linux t2.micro instance usage, 5 GB of Amazon S3 standard storage, 750 hours of Amazon RDS Single-AZ, and more

What I meant was the free tier helps reduce costs in the first 12 months by 10-20% whilst you're on the free tier, so it helps people get used to AWS at a slightly reduced pricing level.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Helping reduce costs initially doesn't matter if you end up spending 70% of your business revenue on infrastructure.

Thanked by 1BeardyUnixGuy
  • msg7086msg7086 Member
    edited May 2019

Reasons to use AWS:

• You want multiple regions with consistent infrastructure.

• You want to make use of AWS eco system, like CDN, database, or IAM credentials.

Reasons not to use AWS:

• Fkkkkking expensive.

• Too complicated for small business. For a simple VPS running for a small company you might have to learn about IAM, AMI, EC2, EBS, VPC, you name.

Thanked by 1ehab
  • @MikeA said:
    Helping reduce costs initially doesn't matter if you end up spending 70% of your business revenue on infrastructure.

Very true, but correctly optimized AWS shouldn't be anywhere near that %

• sadreesadree Member

I tried AWS at one point. The instances I was creating under lightsail I believe it was didn't keep their IP if you rebooted the 'VPS' which was really disapointing.

I found digitalocean to be a little better in terms of start-up as you can create a droplet, and take a snapshot when needed. Use their built in load balancer UI to easily create more droplets and split the load between servers.

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran

MikeA said: Check their bandwidth cost. Last I saw Lightsail was $80/TB after your original allocation so I assume AWS instances aren't much different.

+1

AWS EC2 bandwidth costs like US$90-120+ per TB depending on region and main reason you shouldn't use AWS unless you're running a 'for profit' project which can cover the AWS EC2 hosting + bandwidth costs.

So ask yourself if you spike to 10TB bandwidth used, can you afford to pay US$900-1,200+ for bandwidth alone excluding EC2 hosting costs ? !!!

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • PUSHR_VictorPUSHR_Victor Member, Host Rep

S3 seems to be at about $113 per TB ($23 storage, $90 for a TB of transfer). Good luck figuring out how the value you get from it is worth the money, unless you are the CTO that needs to have the "Not my fault, that's the best the industry has to offer" answer ready when something goes wrong and your boss starts questioning your decisions (and your salary).

• Personally, I tried only their VPS instances and storage. And I want to say - it's not worth. There are a lot of alternatives much cheaper and simpler and better in terms of usability for simple user. Also, their whole CP very complicated, and super easy to get thousands of dollars to charge in your credit card for example if will happen just small or average DDoS attack against your application.

• donlidonli Member
    edited May 2019

@PUSHR_Victor said:
    S3 seems to be at about $113 per TB ($23 storage, $90 for a TB of transfer). Good luck figuring out how the value you get from it is worth the money, unless you are the CTO that needs to have the "Not my fault, that's the best the industry has to offer" answer ready when something goes wrong and your boss starts questioning your decisions (and your salary).

It's like when every large company went with IBM computers. Why - because "No One Ever Got Fired for Buying IBM".

• JackHJackH Member

There's a time and a place for AWS. If you're on LowEndTalk, chances are you're at the wrong time and the wrong place.

Thanked by 1FHR
  • donlidonli Member

@JackH said:
    There's a time and a place for AWS. If you're on LowEndTalk, chances are you're at the wrong time and the wrong place.

Indeed. AWS belongs on HighEndTalk.

• FHRFHR Member, Host Rep

Depending on the project, you could save a lot of money.
    It has its place and use cases - and if you are asking here, there's a large chance it's not for you.

The appeal of AWS and similar is that you don't use it for raw infrastructure, you use it for SaaS or PaaS. Therefore you're saving a lot of Ops costs in favour of increasing infra costs.

Thanked by 1JackH