Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thoughts about really cheap but really good backup - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Thoughts about really cheap but really good backup

2»

Comments

• donlidonli Member

@KuJoe said:

Here's my backup scheme as of last year, yes it's overkill for most people but I maintain multiple backups locally and off-site which gives me the redundancy I'd like along with full control over my data.

What is your NAS software and what program do you use to backup from your NAS to the off-site providers?

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@donli said:

@KuJoe said:

Here's my backup scheme as of last year, yes it's overkill for most people but I maintain multiple backups locally and off-site which gives me the redundancy I'd like along with full control over my data.

What is your NAS software and what program do you use to backup from your NAS to the off-site providers?

I use Synology hardware for 2 out of my 3 home NASes and the software I use is Hyper Backup and Cloud Sync apps for the cloud providers and rsync for the servers.

Thanked by 2donli marrco
  • Where's the tl;dr?

• FalzoFalzo Member

@TimboJones said:
    Where's the tl;dr?

here

@KuJoe said:
    ...there is no silver bullet and one solution might work for one person but not others so each person's backups should be individually tailored for their needs. At the end of the day you need to feel comfortable with your backup scheme...

Thanked by 2beagle Ympker
  • MilonMilon Member

@TimboJones said:
    Where's the tl;dr?

Too long; Don't read
    :smiley:

Thanked by 2willie Janevski
  • @Falzo said:

@TimboJones said:
    Where's the tl;dr?

here

@KuJoe said:
    ...there is no silver bullet and one solution might work for one person but not others so each person's backups should be individually tailored for their needs. At the end of the day you need to feel comfortable with your backup scheme...

Uh, no.

• seanhoseanho Member

I actually read through the entire original post/novel; I feel accomplished. 😄 Thank you jsg for sharing: local backups are good. You're not alone in having this idea (and yes, tier with storage VPSes and ACD/GDrive/etc.).

My suggestion is to shuck WD EasyStore/Elements for $120/8TB or $150/10TB. They are equivalent to WD Reds, equivalent to HGST enterprise SATA drives.

If you're confident in your RAID game, pick up a couple dozen decommissioned NL-SAS 3TB/4TB drives for as low as $5/TB (really!), and go nuts with parity. 4U cases can fit 15x or even 24x LFF easily, and you can get a DAS like a SA120 or MD1200 if that's not enough. (After about 8-10 disks you'll probably want to split it up into multiple arrays / zpools.)

It is very achievable to have upwards of 100TB usable space at home, RAIDed and backed up.

Thanked by 2uptime angstrom
  • rcxbrcxb Member

Plain old RAID is obsolete... ZFS ZRAID (or any of a myriad of others) as you find in FreeNAS, will work great even on old and unreliable drives.

rsync for backups is long obsolete as well. Something like borgbackup for Linux (or Veeam Endpoint for Windows) will dramatically reduce the data transfer size, with deduplication and compression on the client end. Both zero-cost options. Both have data verification options that you can enable to alert you to corruption early.

And you'll have a much more reliable backup solution if you just rotate backups to three or more other VPS/Clouds/etc. Even if no one of them is reliable, all together you're sure to always have one good copy of your data that way. Your home NAS is a SPOF.

• SirFoxySirFoxy Member

In conclusion: backups are good.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • donlidonli Member

@SirFoxy said:
    In conclusion: backups are good.

But only if you actually make (and verify) them.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • Your home NAS is a SPOF.

Yep. I had only 45 minutes to get my UPS and ghetto NAS + drives upstairs when the floods reached my neighborhood.

I'm re-doing all my backup schemes in the aftermath.

The only thing I'm saving locally are high definition Linux ISOs of my favourite classics.

Thanked by 2angstrom Falzo
  • NanoG6NanoG6 Member

TL;DR
    Thanked, just for the CF rant

• @BeardyUnixGuy said:
    In an age where society is driven towards increasingly shorter messages/videos/communication, I gave the OP a 'thanks' just for actually taking the time to express a thought in such detail.

Having said that, and recognizing that I myself belong to the same above-mentioned concentration-lacking society, I did not read the post but instead made a mental "read-it-later" note :smiley:

I'm curious if you've ever received any dogecoin thanks.