Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are the garbage hosts getting worse?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Are the garbage hosts getting worse?

hostnoobhostnoob Member
edited April 2019 in General

Usually, over time the cheap/budget stuff becomes much closer to the expensive/quality stuff (clothes, cars, most technology)

But it seems to me like the bottom feeder hosts are becoming worse and worse. GVH and CVPS were NEVER as bad as the hosts like n3, umax, etc.

The former hosts were actually "budget" compared to a lot of other hosts and you usually got somewhat decent performance at least. Now the experience you get would be considered a waste of money even if you got it for free.

Edit: Plus you don't even get good drama from them like the good old days. They are literally a "cash deposit box" if you feel like throwing money away

Thanked by 1hostdare

Comments

• ChuckChuck Member

yes.

• Happy Easter!

• no i still find good host once in a while in LEB and some of them are still up

• HostlovinHostlovin Member, Host Rep

Good hosts won't be called garbage.

Garbage hosts will be called garbage.

A bit of googling can find you hosts at "garbage" prices that are actually good.

Prices are getting lower though, so I guess as you go lower, the chances of poor quality tends to dip even more.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I cant wait for the school Easter half term to be over.

Thanked by 1Egyarmy
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

The end is nigh.

The expectations are becoming unreasonable. Garbage hosts have been the same.

• Garbage host meets unreasonable customers is the ultimate comedy recipe on LET.

The ending of such comedy is inevitably "The end is nigh"

Everyone is allowed to make mistakes / wrong choices.

The main issue I see nowadays is that they fail to learn anything from such mistakes and keep going at it, hoping for some sort of small miracle.

• LEB is necessary to be the baseline

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Its already garbage, how can garbage get worse? enlighten me.

• First-RootFirst-Root Member, Host Rep

There are lots of people around who believe they can make fast money by throwing solusvm on an server and throw out offers lile crazy without enough knowledge. Just wait until summer and it will get even worse ;)

Thanked by 1Egyarmy
  • SmartHostSmartHost Patron Provider, Veteran

@cybertech said:
    LEB is necessary to be the baseline

Got a good chuckle out of that one...nice!

• donlidonli Member

They're certainly getting more numerous. Thanks ColoCrossing.

• LeviLevi Member

@Neoon said:

Garbage can rot. Than it becomes smelly garbage which is way worse than plain simple garbage. Example of rotten garbage is umax: they resel colorcrossing which is garbage already and than add some rot to it.

Here you go.

edited April 2019

We're planning on making some acquisitions, and then we can compost the garbage, and maybe use it as fertilizer grow something edible/useful. :smiley:

Thanked by 1Egyarmy
  • I found great hosts here. Some through adverts but also some though PM. For what I pay I'm receiving a lot in return.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

You're welcome to blame the hosts for being garbage but unfortunately that's what the consumers want. Paying $15/year is "too expensive" for a 128MB VPS with 100% uptime these days, consumers demand $10/year for a 2GB VPS with 10% uptime. I wish I was joking.

edited April 2019

@SmartHost said:

I would definitely reword this post, it sounds like you're just trying to harvest personal info which is frowned upon here.

Well, he has shown few signs. But I will keep my doubts low for the time being.

@KuJoe said:

@SmartHost said:
    We're planning on making some acquisitions, and then we can compost the garbage, and maybe use it as fertilizer grow something edible/useful. :smiley:

I would definitely reword this post, it sounds like you're just trying to harvest personal info which is frowned upon here.

Umm...not sure how you come up with that idea. No matter how many times I reread this, I can't figure out where you came up with that, nor what the heck you are even talking about.

Besides, this was a joke anyways...about garbage being used as fertilizer.

Thanked by 1TimboJones

@SmartHost said:

@KuJoe said:

@SmartHost said:

Umm...not sure how you come up with that idea. No matter how many times I reread this, I can't figure out where you came up with that, nor what the heck you are even talking about.

I read it as buy hosts (making some acquisitions), kill services (compost the garbage), send marketing e-mails to new clients (use it as fertilizer). I only thought of this because this is how the vast majority of LEB/LET acquisitions turn out with a giant thread of people being pissed off their info was sold and their unsustainable services were cancelled with little notice.

• lazytlazyt Member

I read it the same way KuJoe did. Just seen it go that way too many times on here.

Yea, not what I meant whatsoever. We would never buy something if we didn't intend on retaining the clients/revenue that came with it. Fortunately, with our infrastructure and footprint, we can often turn unprofitable operations into profitable ones.

• I think I worded this pretty badly.

@Neoon said:

@KuJoe said:
    You're welcome to blame the hosts for being garbage but unfortunately that's what the consumers want. Paying $15/year is "too expensive" for a 128MB VPS with 100% uptime these days, consumers demand $10/year for a 2GB VPS with 10% uptime. I wish I was joking.

@sureiam said:
    I found great hosts here. Some through adverts but also some though PM. For what I pay I'm receiving a lot in return.

I wasn't trying to say that LET is worse, or that hosts in general are becoming worse, just that the quality of the really cheap hosts in general seems to have gone downhill, while everything else has improved, at least in my experience.

I think $10 got you a lot more with a crappy host a few years ago than it does now, while on the other side of the spectrum it's the complete opposite. The good providers seem to offer more specs for the same price, so the value on that side of things has gone up.

So I guess "budget" is a bad term because you could class a lot of the great hosts here as budget providers, but I mean the summer hosts I guess.

Basically, old summer hosts > new summer hosts.

• Actually they are the best. Sacrifice the few for the whole.

• Sofia_KSofia_K Member
    edited April 2019

@hostnoob the quality of any host, LET or big host, depends up on how the owner wants to run it. 10+ years ago I was with Bluehost when it was owned privately by Matt, it was giving superb performance. They introduced cageFS like feature, they built their data center too. Later when hands changed, being the same server, datacenter, network, etc. the performance started to degrade. In 2018, it was far worse from all those reviews I read.

Similarly, smaller web hosts like buyshared, ramnode, and few handful of others on LET are performing good even year after year - reason, if we take 2 hosts having same hardware, network, same hosting plan, etc. and the owners are different, they'll run the same node either on profit or loss, depending up on their decisions, actions, ideas, and views for running a hosting company.

Lots of web host either want easy and quick money to become next hostgator or godaddy, or their initial decisions go wrong about running a host (hint: all LEB hosts which sell 600 GB reseller account for $39/yr), later they oversell to cover the cost, but performance degrades as cpu gets overloaded, bad I/O, and customers leave them, later they open $1/yr VPS like offers, grab as much as money, before finally closing down! Yes, there are few hosts who still run the business (hint: Alpha) inspite of 90% bad reviews year after year!

• jiijii Member

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @KuJoe said:

@SmartHost said:

@KuJoe said:

@SmartHost said:

I read it as buy hosts (making some acquisitions), kill services (compost the garbage), send marketing e-mails to new clients (use it as fertilizer). I only thought of this because this is how the vast majority of LEB/LET acquisitions turn out with a giant thread of people being pissed off their info was sold and their unsustainable services were cancelled with little notice.

inb4 CompostHost : "Your bits never die , they just get-rearranged."

• @jii said:

Someone needs to translate this. :joy:

• Thanks for the compliments. Miss me?