Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SOLUS.IO - Finally The SolusVM Update?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SOLUS.IO - Finally The SolusVM Update?

wa44io4wa44io4 Member
edited March 2019 in General

Hey Guys,

Just saw something interesting :) - https://solus.io

Comments

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

@Neoon said:
    SolusVM 4.0

by the time they do release it will be SolusVM 6.0 :smile:

Thanked by 1jordynegen11
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

SolusVM v2

2 in decimal is 10 in binary

10 looks a bit like IO

Solus dot IO = Solus 2

Confirmed :D

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@AnthonySmith should hear about this great news!

Thanked by 1eol
    edited March 2019

angstrom said:

look up :) also, this is old news for me :)

• @AnthonySmith said:
    look up :) also, this is old news

Thanked by 1emgh
  • eoleol Member

Nice glasses.

@Letzien that poor unfortunate mess of hormones has WAY more hair than I have (or ever could have) and his beard is WEAK! mine is STRONG!

Thanked by 1vimalware

@AnthonySmith said:

angstrom said:

look up :) also, this is old news for me :)

Ah, you beat me to it by one minute. :smile:

So the long wait is over?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@angstrom said:

I'm waiting for the price hike to land.

Looks great, but aesthetics has always been a strong point for Plesk and the old family of products.

Francisco

• @angstrom said:

WE CAN FINALLY PUT VIRTUALIZOR DOWN

Oh wait -- we already have.

Thanked by 1mrTom
  • AmitzAmitz Member

SolusVM is the Theresa May of the software industry. Some day, both will deliver...

@Amitz said:
    SolusVM is the Theresa May of the software industry. Some day, both will deliver...

Well, Solus is ahead of her.

Solus had to change hands twice to try to get the job done. The UK's only done that once so far.

Francisco

Thanked by 2Letzien webcraft
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

I feel like Mrs. May is at least trying. SolusVM though? Putting out random updates once in a while can be done even by me.

Thanked by 1webcraft
  • @deank said:
    I feel like Mrs. May is at least trying. SolusVM though? Putting out random updates once in a while can be done even by me.

brexit() is going to be my new die() alias.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2019

I think I'll just stay on the current version and keep my pricing...

Or maybe it's time to use my own.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Lexit should be your new alias.

• LeviLevi Member

Plesk delivers. Always. Of course price increase around 2 - 3x usual is expected, but their products are good!

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited March 2019

@MikeA said:

Thats not how it works.
    Sure they will drop the legacy version in like 1 year after release.

So either you keep it outdated and unsafe or you upgrade or develop your own.
    If you want to do it, start now.

They got you by the balls.

• @LTniger said:
    Plesk delivers. Always. Of course price increase around 2 - 3x usual is expected, but their products are good!

Obviously everyone's experience can be different, but after just leaving a shared hosting provider offering Plesk and cPanel I'll take cPanel any day of the week. Plesk was horrible to maintain, whereas cPanel just never had issues.

We also had very negative experiences of Plesk's support service, but cPanel were incredible and went above and beyond every time

For sure it made me a massive cPanel fanboy

• Tr33nTr33n Member

LTniger said: Plesk delivers. Always.

Plesk is buggy as hell. cPanel, in comparison, works much better.
    Since cPanel now also belongs to Oakley Capital, of which Plesk is also part of it, it may well be that cPanel gets worser or Plesk becomes stable.

Just a view point why Plesk sucks:

• No service check. There is the watchdog extension, which does only work after fixing Plesk Bug #PPPM-8683. However, watchdog only checks if the service is running, but not if it works correctly. cPanel checks if the service does response.

• Default configuration of the services is bad. You need to tweak every single service, even the mailserver.

• No decent mail server configuration possible, as Plesk overwrites it over and over again. This is especially stupid because you can not customize the smtpd_recipient_restrictions option without developing your own methods to undo the automatic reset of Plesk.
      Also, you can not send mails over different IPs without breaking any standards like RDNS and SMTP hostnames.

• Updates often broke systems in the past. Last critical issue i know was 16 days ago: EXTWPTOOLK-2519

I could continue the list forever. Just try to install modsecurity over CLI and use the tortix rules (on CentOS 7, dunno if it works on other OS correctly). Right, it does not work on the first try, this is why i need to do shit like: https://pastebin.com/dfcGCU1Q

The main goal of Plesk is to add as many features as possible. Whether they work reasonably does not matter.

I hope SolusVM keeps being stable. The hope dies last.

Thanked by 2lukehebb ErikEnoctus
  • What crazy world is this that people prefer cpanel over plesk?

Thanked by 1FHR
  • v3ngv3ng Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2019

I only tried cPanel once and I can't understand why there's such a hype around it.
    Ugly design and the interface is too complex and not very user-friendly.
    I'd prefer Plesk or even a free Panel like Keyhelp at any time.

Thanked by 1FHR
  • lukehebblukehebb Member
    edited March 2019

v3ng said: I only tried cPanel once and I can't understand why there's such a hype around it.
    Ugly design and the interface is too complex and not very user-friendly.

I must admit that the old design wasn't nice, but paper lantern is definitely a much needed improvement

For me the key thing is stability. The amount of times I had to run "plesk repair X Y" compared to having any issues at all with cPanel while working in my last job (I left a few days ago to go somewhere else) is just crazy.

I can trust that cPanel won't go down randomly overnight, I can't say that about Plesk. But as always, YMMV of course

• leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited March 2019

Met Phil at CloudFest. The new version does seem to be better and aimed at competing against DO/Vultr.

Phil/Solus seems happier under the new ownership. Onapp and Solusvm were competing products if Solus tried to add features or Onapp tried to make a lite version.

This version is still 6 months away and will have some price hike. Migration should be possible for existing nodes in-place.

@leapswitch said:
    Met Phil at CloudFest. The new version does seem to be better and aimed at competing against DO/Vultr.

Phil/Solus seems happier under the new ownership. Onapp and Solusvm were competing products of Solis tried to add features or Onapp tried to make a lite version.

This version is still 6 months away and will have some price hike. Migration should be possible for existing nodes in-place.

All makes sense.

Plesk bought it to turn a profit, and given they already raised prices on Plesk, Solus will get the same.

The Onapp conflicts were pretty public. There was all this talk about adding OnApp's Federation systems to Solus but that never happened.

A long time ago Phil had posted a roadmap plan for Solus and much of the feature set looked to be targeted right at OnApp customers. Its always been obvious that Solus was bought out to keep it out of OnApp's way, not for it to be properly developed.

Francisco

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited March 2019

@MikeA said:

Since I can't edit this. I think I will take this back after realizing it's not completely logical. I would gladly pay a little bit more for Solus to be maintained better and new features added. Since I like Plesk, and gladly pay money for that product, I can't complain here. Heh, I pay for in license costs for Minecraft servers than I do VPS.

• LeviLevi Member

Tr33n said: Just a view point why Plesk sucks

Wait when you encounter cPanel's 'few points' of PERL hell. Plesk is good, very good. They are stable, predictable.

Thanked by 1joeri
  • jackbjackb Member, Host Rep

@MikeA said:

@MikeA said:

Since I can't edit this. I think I will take this back after realizing it's not completely logical. I would gladly pay a little bit more for Solus to be maintained better and new features added. Since I like Plesk, and gladly pay money for that product, I can't complain here. Heh, I pay for in license costs for Minecraft servers than I do VPS.

Depends what the price hike ends up being imo. We've wanted to roll our own for years but never invested the time to complete it.