Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Benchmark results between contabo and hetzner and some questions for future purchasees - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Benchmark results between contabo and hetzner and some questions for future purchasees

Comments

• Regardless of the short-term benchmark you probably can't keep sustained speed on any long running (multi hours or days) transcode or other cpu intensive task on any cheap VPS. The host will decrease your cpu share after a while. You can get a VPS with dedicated cores from Hetzner, Netcup (rootserver), BuyVM etc., but it will be more expensive than the stuff you're using now.

You're better off with a dedi if you can afford one. You never have to worry about hogging resources on it.

Thanked by 3poisson eol uptime
  • neikneik Member
    edited March 2019

lowendguy7 said: Why does hetzner outperform contabo on 2 thread?

It's because Contabo is using older Xeons or Xeon Silver instead of the Xeon Gold ones over at Hetzner/Netcup.

• neik said: It's because Contabo is using older Xeons or Xeon Silver instead of the Xeon Gold ones over at Hetzner/Netcup

yup newer intel processors have much better cryptographic performance

also not sure why you're testing every cipher which has less relevance these days.

would be interested in seeing results for the following

multi=" -multi $(nproc)"
    opensslbin='openssl'
    ciphers='rsa2048 rsa4096 ecdsap256 sha256 sha1 md5 rc4 aes-256-cbc aes-128-cbc';  $opensslbin speed${multi} $ciphers;
    ciphers='aes-128-cbc aes-256-cbc aes-128-gcm aes-256-gcm chacha20'; for c in $ciphers; do $opensslbin speed${multi} -evp $c; done

• Hetzner_OLHetzner_OL Member, Top Host

Ympker said: Plus we have @Hetzner_OL Katie and her lovely co-worker (someone surely remembers the name?).

Her name is Julia. :) We're in Germany, so the J is pronounced like the y in "yet" rather than like the j in "jump". --Katie, Marketing

Thanked by 1eol
  • well then lets all yump over to Hetzner.

Thanked by 3eol poisson Hetzner_OL
  • @cybertech said:
    well then lets all yump over to Hetzner.

But they're German... are they planning on invading Sweden!?

Thanked by 1Falzo

Letzien said: are they planning on invading Sweden

If this video is representative for Swedish cooks, we're not planning to do that lol.
    --Julia, Marketing

Thanked by 2Letzien eol
  • @Hetzner_OL said:

Letzien said: are they planning on invading Sweden

If this video is representative for Swedish cooks, we're not planning to do that lol.
    --Julia, Marketing

It isn't so much a parody as it is a documentary.

Do you have any Kartoffeln und Glace recipes to share?

• BenjiroBenjiro Member
    edited March 2019

Why does hetzner outperform contabo on 2 thread?

Higher CPU speed or newer CPUs...

A quick look at the order page for contabo "Intel® Xeon® E5-2620v3, E5-2630v4 or 4114 processor" ... Here is a quick Geekbench4 comparison.

E5-2620v3 = 3089
    E5-2630v4 = 3152
    Intel Xeon Silver 4114 = 3260

Where as Hetzner runs:

Xeon® Gold 6130 = 3625

As such you get a lower performance per core as they are using older CPUs. About 13% difference on the Silver vs Gold. Lets assume the benchmark has some flux and its 1.10%.

Lets take your "openssl speed -multi 2"

148392k vs 160086.18k
    148392k * 1.10 => 163231,2

Not perfectly but plenty close for government work.

Benching can be hard...

Offtopic:

There offer is indeed not bad when it comes down to price vs offering ( not speaking about service or network ). If we compare some similar priced products:

CX31 vs VPS M SSD

Price: 10.59 vs 8.99
    CPU: 4 vs 6
    Memory: 16 vs 8
    Disk: 80GB vs 400GB

I always found that Hetzner their storage options are not good balanced. The lack of cheap SAS storage on their cloud or combination storage hurts their offering. The top line with 8 CPU cores and only 240GB for 35.58 is bad. As its get massive competition from their dedicated EX41 at 46.41, with way more dedicated performance, double the price, double the memory. But the lacking ECC memory.

Its the same issue with their dedicated servers, if you add 2 HDD or 2 SSD ( example EX41: 2 x 4TB getting 2 x 512 or EX41: 2 x 512 getting 2 x 4TB ), you end up paying 70% of the entire server price, just for two more storage device. You can just pay a few euros more and simply get a second server with 64GB + CPU etc.

They also lack proper SSD + HDD mixed storage options at the right price. The even removed the PX61 recently, what was the only cheap ECC based server that fit between their EX lineup. Hetzner is competitive but they have large gaps in their linup. Especially with ECC or mixed storage.

Thanked by 2uptime lowendguy7
  • eoleol Member

There are hundreds of HDD and ECC supporting auction servers.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • emghemgh Member

Do you even bench bro

Thanked by 1uptime
  • eoleol Member

Here, a ? just for you.

• Hetzner Cloud is great if you want a small instance (either monthly or hourly), or if you want hourly billing for a big instance. If you want big and monthly, you are probably better off with a dedi. Contabo's stuff is monthly billed AND virtualized AND has a setup fee AND has a long reputation for crap performance, so it's not really comparable.

HDD storage on a cloud VM or VPS these days is a BAD idea unless you have a lot of it and it's just for low usage static backup. Drives keep getting bigger while their iops stays the same, so iops per TB keeps falling. Like if a current 10TB drive has 150 iops, that 400GB SAS share if spread evenly gives just 6 iops of the 150. RAID helps with that (by using more spindles) but not that much.

Hetzner has mountable SSD block storage at 0.04e/GB/m which is pretty good (online.net has something similar for 5x as much), and if you want slow cheap HDD storage they have StorageBox at 4 or 5 euro/TB/m in the larger sizes.

Thanked by 3gks cybertech eol
  • gksgks Member
    edited March 2019

@willie said:
    Hetzner Cloud is great if you want a small instance (either monthly or hourly), or if you want hourly billing for a big instance. If you want big and monthly, you are probably better off with a dedi. Contabo's stuff is monthly billed AND virtualized AND has a setup fee AND has a long reputation for crap performance, so it's not really comparable.

HDD storage on a cloud VM or VPS these days is a BAD idea unless you have a lot of it and it's just for low usage static backup. Drives keep getting bigger while their iops stays the same, so iops per TB keeps falling. Like if a current 10TB drive has 150 iops, that 400GB SAS share if spread evenly gives just 6 iops of the 150. RAID helps with that (by using more spindles) but not that much.

Hetzner has mountable SSD block storage at 0.04e/GB/m which is pretty good (online.net has something similar for 5x as much), and if you want slow cheap HDD storage they have StorageBox at 4 or 5 euro/TB/m in the larger sizes.

Agree with this comments, hire for few hours/days, use it at max or for need and release it. I have done few trainings using Hetzner cloud, generally with big data where we need RAM from 16 GB to 24 GB, had used Hetzner 10+ times but for 3 days per usage, the bills were under 30 Euros, the performance is top notch.

contabo, I see interesting pricing point, more specially, they don't suspend your servers if the CPU usages goes high, it may be balanced or slowed down, on Big data some servers or queries consume CPUs for few minutes due to snapshot, replication or aggregation.

I tried VirMach, it was a crap.

I am trying to stick to Netcup, Hetzner, got a server from PHPFriends and will spend some time with contabo especially for their high ram and many core CPUs . Finally I seems to be with German providers, I seems like it. Hetzner always wins in terms of performance.

Thanked by 3eol poisson Hetzner_OL
  • eoleol Member

Yeah Hetzner cloud performance is impressive.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • lowendguy7lowendguy7 Member
    edited March 2019

Well after all these replies I still do not really know whether contabo should be considered better with 4 cores than the 2 core hetzner.

Anyway in the meantime I have been running my encoding script. It really is not that easy to tell if it is considerably faster but the new hard drive space is certainly coming in very handy and for that alone (if all other things are equal) then I am better off.

I could add a timer to my python script but I really couldn't be bothered at the moment (and I deleted the hetnzer one now so won't be able to do like for like comparison). Too much other stuff to do. The contabo one certainly doesn't seem slower at encoding; whether it is the same or faster I don't know since I do the vids in bigger batches now with the extra hard drive space. I did do one test at the start with a few files the same on both server and still nothing conclusive. Hey I am happy with the contabo one for now.

I have a second server on hetzner I didn't bring across yet as that uses a headless firefox browser which is more fiddly to setup and I am still undecided but I was thinking of moving that one too simply because hetzner does not have a paypal subscription option. I would have left it there if it did but having to renew manually every month and not have both servers on the same provider is a little nuisance so I reckon to get over with the annoying move and then it is done and out the way. The hard drive space is not needed in this case though so performance wise there is not going to be a difference at the moment but if I wanted to scale up in future I am wondering if the 4 core is better than the 2 but the jury still seems to be out on that one.

• LeviLevi Member

When you in doubt - always go hetzner. It's default, de facto standard for good kvm vps. And when you had experienced hetzner, you can try others.

Thanked by 2eol Hetzner_OL
  • eoleol Member

There is always a choice between Hetzner and Hetzner.
    Choose one.

Thanked by 2Hetzner_OL t0m
  • Lol, so many member suggest Hetzner, but actually they does not like new customer.. :smiley:

• Hetzner for cattle, VPS provider specials for your 'pets'

• lowendguy7 said: hetzner does not have a paypal subscription option. I would have left it there if it did but having to renew manually every month

They can bill a credit card monthly. They can also bill for longer periods (3mo, 6mo, or whatever) if you put in a billing ticket, at least using credit card. You could ask if they can do that with paypal.

Thanked by 1Hetzner_OL
  • FalzoFalzo Member
    edited March 2019

lowendguy7 said: Anyway in the meantime I have been running my encoding script. It really is not that easy to tell if it is considerably faster

makes me think of ...

Falzo said: if there is no understanding of multithreading options at all, the encoding tasks won't work very well regardless the server OP is going to use...

in other words: did you bother to check if your script or software utilizes more than one core in parallel at all ?

• Benjiro said: As such you get a lower performance per core as they are using older CPUs. About 13% difference on the Silver vs Gold. Lets assume the benchmark has some flux and its 1.10%.

Lets take your "openssl speed -multi 2"

148392k vs 160086.18k

148392k * 1.10 => 163231,2

Not perfectly but plenty close for government work.

It ain't linear, depending on openssl cipher benchmarked and cpu model and supported cpu instructions the difference can be up to 80% i.e. E3-1245v2 vs E3-1240v5

Thanked by 2eol poisson
  • XeiXei Member

Aren't the new Scaleway instances outperforming Hetzner? I can't remember now.

Thank you all for the feedback for our Cloud servers.

Letzien said: It isn't so much a parody as it is a documentary.

Is it? Are you Swedish? :)

Letzien said: Do you have any Kartoffeln und Glace recipes to share?

I hate to break the stereotype but I don't like potatoes very much and I don't know what you mean by "Glace"? I'm afraid I'm not a real German...

chocolateshirt said: actually they does not like new customer.. :smiley:

That's not true. We're happy about every new customer. Why do you think we don't want them?

Thanked by 1eol

willie said: They can also bill for longer periods (3mo, 6mo, or whatever) if you put in a billing ticket, at least using credit card.

That's true. Just write to our support and explain that you want to pay for "x" months in advance.

willie said: You could ask if they can do that with paypal.

Unfortunately this is not possible with Paypal.

--Julia, Marketing

Thanked by 2vimalware eol
  • @Hetzner_OL said:
    Thank you all for the feedback for our Cloud servers.

chocolateshirt said: actually they does not like new customer.. :smiley:

That's not true. We're happy about every new customer. Why do you think we don't want them?

Well, I got rejected when create an account on Hetzner. Even when I provided an ID for verification process.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

I just thought that it may be worth mentioning Hetzner.

Thanked by 2eol Hetzner_OL
  • BenjiroBenjiro Member
    edited March 2019

@lowendguy7 said: because hetzner does not have a paypal subscription option. I would have left it there if it did but having to renew manually every month

You can pay with Paypal... Used to be that they only accepted Visa/Mastercard with auto payment but we had trouble one day and they happily changed my payment system to Paypal.

The billing is now uniform and you can pay:

Invoices -- Overview

• Every month based upon your invoice ( you can see the invoice date in the control panel ). This is actually more secure because its not the first time finding a invoice issue ( where we paid for unexpected things ). Its a good way to know what your paying.

Invoices -- Credit balance
    If you make advance payments by bank transfer to our bank account, the amount will be posted as a credit on your account. We will automatically deduct this credit on your account when we process future invoices.

• Or you can pre-pay X amount to Hetzner's bank in advance and Hetzner auto deducts this amount from your pre-paid amount.

I am not sure if everybody can pay with Paypal or this is just a leftover. I assume they make most new accounts pay with Visa/Mastercard until some trust is build? My Hetzner account is like 12 years old so things may have changed how people register etc :blush:

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@lowendguy7 said:
    Well after all these replies I still do not really know whether contabo should be considered better with 4 cores than the 2 core hetzner.

• openssl speed des des-ede3 dsa2048 hmac idea-cbc md5 is a weird mix for a benchmark
    • "core" can mean a lot of things with a VPS. Usually it means a fraction (time share) of a core or even just a thread.
    • benchmarking a VPS is a bit tricky because on one side you want to push the system but on the other side pushing the system risks to be considered abusive but also because of the way VPS work.
    • benchmarking over all available cores is an important part of a benchmark, not only to get better numbers but also because the difference between single and multi core/thread benchmarks can tell you a lot.
    • I suggest you use one of the already existing benchmarks available because chances are that their authors put some knwo-how into them. I myself created a benchmark (see my sig) specifically with VPS in mind but there are others too.