Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LowEndTalk Selling Rules (Updated April 2023) - Page 9
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LowEndTalk Selling Rules (Updated April 2023)

Comments

• @bountysite said:
    Can hosting related services like website backup and security post ads in this forum? What rules apply here?

Do you provide services? If so you need a tag. See simple.

Thanked by 1WSЅ
  • Based on recent drama in the SYS flash sale thread (pretty good offer of an E3 server for 30 euro/m with an 18 euro setup fee), I'd like to suggest modifying the "no setup fee" rule for dedicated servers to "no setup fee unless the setup fee and the monthly rent COMBINED add up to less than the 84 dollar limit". It could also be limited to providers who have been renting dedis for at least 1 year.

The drama is between rules stickers saying the flash sale post is not allowed because of the setup fee, and others saying (accurately I think) that members want to see those posts. There have been other OVH/Kimsufi flash sales in the past that have been welcome and not drawn any complaints afaict.

People are proposing various subterfuges like phrasing the offer as "48 euro for the first month, 30 euro/m after that, no setup fee" or posting to Cest Pit and hoping someone other than the provider will post a more visible thread, but I think it's best to just recognize what is going on and allow it. I still think $84/m is too high for a low end server but if the headroom is used for a setup fee on a server with lower monthly rent, that eases the annoyance.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited February 2019

@willie Thanks for putting this thought out there. Don't just say "rule-stickers" and "others" though. The "rule-stickers" probably referring to @MasonR and me have also expressed, that we believe the community is welcoming these flash deals and I, in particular, have pointed out that the KS sales threads have always been of great value to us and cherished by the community. So don't say we are "others" not seeing why people would like these kinda offers. Don't get me wrong. We are cheapos too, and we love them. The thing is,
    people, especially new providers, get bashed pretty quick &hard for not following the rules. Having established hosts ignore them or allowing double-standards would just not be fair. Furthermore: Aren't the rules meant to be followed? There is always the option to adapt the rules which you have now proposed. And that's good. Let's see where this takes us :)

Thanked by 1MasonR
  • williewillie Member
    edited February 2019

Aren't the rules meant to be followed?

No, they're meant to shut off actual abuse including iffy cases where members complain about a post on its substance. It's just like in real life. If you park on the street blocking your own driveway, you can in principle get a ticket or towed, but usually you won't, because the cops normally won't enforce that rule unless the homeowner actually complains to them about the blockage (which will happen if you block someone else's driveway rather than your own without their permission). Same thing if you have a noisy party at your own house: the cops will shut it down if the neighbors complain, but if they don't complain (because they are at your house partying with you), the cops will hopefully leave you alone. Save the rule bureaucracy for when it's concretely useful.

There is always the option to adapt the rules which you have now proposed.

Yes, I think that would simplify and clarify the situation, which is why I proposed it. Note that some recent Hetzner offerings like the EX42 are also affected.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • I second the "Any month including first month must be below 84 usd" thing for dedis, effectively allowing dedis with a setup fee, as long as total price is within LET limits.

• @teamacc said:
    I second the "Any month including first month must be below 84 usd" thing for dedis, effectively allowing dedis with a setup fee, as long as total price is within LET limits.

I think this is an excellent suggestion. It doesn't seem to have any controversial consequences, and if anything will encourage the posting of further offers. Leave it with me! :-)

Thanked by 3Ympker MasonR angstrom
  • IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

Hi !

As some of you knows one of our hosting service is a Public Cloud offer.
    Nowadays we give 100€ credits in exchange of 10€ charged.
    Due to this "condition" i cannot publish this offer on lowendtalk.
    is there an admin that con confirm me that please ?

Thank you

nb : it's on the page https://www.ikoula.com/en/public-cloud just below the caption "discovery offer".

• FAT32FAT32 Administrator, Deal Compiler Extraordinaire
    edited February 2019

@Ikoula said:
    Hi !

As some of you knows one of our hosting service is a Public Cloud offer.
    Nowadays we give 100€ credits in exchange of 10€ charged.
    Due to this "condition" i cannot publish this offer on lowendtalk.
    is there an admin that con confirm me that please ?

Thank you

nb : it's on the page https://www.ikoula.com/en/public-cloud just below the caption "discovery offer".

Hi! May I know what are the terms? For example, is there a validity of the 100€ extra credits? You can consider making one that is $7 for $70 or equivalent :wink:

EDIT: I just found that it is only valid for first month of use. This is a bit too short in my opinion and I wonder if people would be interested on it. You can still create an offer but only list out VM Pico and Micro that is lower than the $7/m limit.

Thanked by 2eol uptime
  • @FAT32 said:
    Hi! May I know what are the terms? For example, is there a validity of the 100€ extra credits? You can consider making one that is $7 for $70 or equivalent :wink:

There probably is a typo.
    Should be $7 for $100 I think...

Thanked by 2FAT32 dahartigan

Yes it has to be used within the first month, thank you for your time and answer.
    I will follow your instructions.

Thanked by 2eol dahartigan
  • @Ikoula said:
    ;) @eol

Do it.
    LOL.

Thanked by 2dahartigan uptime
  • gnugnu Member
    1. All domains in the auction must be at least 6 months old.

What is the reasoning behind this rule?

• @gnu said:

1. All domains in the auction must be at least 6 months old.

What is the reasoning behind this rule?

Cunts. @Nekki

• gnugnu Member

I mean literally every domain sold here was unused at the time. Also, domains aren't websites/hosting/businesses that are supposed to have history necessary to establish reputation.

• @gnu This isn't WebHostingTalk. If it's never been used, $7 (or less).

• gnugnu Member

@Letzien No, I mean when (unused) domain is listed here on auction, what difference does it make if it's 6 or 5 months old? Well, according to LET rules domain being 5 months old makes it ineligible for auction.

• MasonRMasonR Community Contributor

@gnu said:
    @Letzien No, I mean when (unused) domain is listed here on auction, what difference does it make if it's 6 or 5 months old? Well, according to LET rules domain being 5 months old makes it ineligible for auction.

It's probably there to discourage people from registering a bunch of trash domains and immediately auctioning them off the next day. Three months seems like a bit too short of the time needed to discourage such behavior and a full year seems like way too long, so 6 months is the sweet spot.

Thanked by 3eol gnu Letzien
  • @MasonR said:

@gnu said:

It's probably there to discourage people from registering a bunch of trash domains and immediately auctioning them off the next day. Three months seems like a bit too short of the time needed to discourage such behavior and a full year seems like way too long, so 6 months is the sweet spot.

Well, this.

Thanked by 1eol
  • @MasonR said:

@gnu said:

Can confirm. One guy even tried to auction an unregistered domain, in hopes of receiving a bid of 10+ USD and regging it with that money. Did not go very well.

Thanked by 3MasonR uptime eol
  • @teamacc said:

@MasonR said:

@gnu said:

Can confirm. One guy even tried to auction an unregistered domain, in hopes of receiving a bid of 10+ USD and regging it with that money. Did not go very well.

Wow- that's almost Prout levels.. except I.. well not quite.

• vinothmoorthyvinothmoorthy Member
    edited March 2019

--mod edit: full quote of first post removed--

The good thing about the vps offers is "high in profit"
    the bad thing no one going to sell "1core 1 gb 500gb vps"

• vserversitevserversite Member, Host Rep

Hi,

we have send over the Helpdesk an mail to get Provider Tag. Since weeks we dont get an email.

What we do wrong?

@vserversite said:
    Hi,

we have send over the Helpdesk an mail to get Provider Tag. Since weeks we dont get an email.

What we do wrong?

I don't think your posts are having enough quality contents... But I am not the one approving at helpdesk so perhaps someone else can clarify.

• Yup, helpdesk is understaffed.

• deankdeank Member, Troll

I believe somebody works at the helpdesk once every 3 month, so wait 3 months and it will get done.

At the same time, looking at his post history, his only objective is to spam his ad later.

• For WHMCS License : Why do you ban a user if him using Nulled License? I know that is ILLEGAL, but, WHMCS License is Expensive

@naufalprojects said:
    For WHMCS License : Why do you ban a user if him using Nulled License? I know that is ILLEGAL, but, WHMCS License is Expensive

Really?

If you can't afford a WHMCS License that costs only $20-40/m, how can we trust you on handling the clients well?

If you are using a billing tool that helps you earn money, you should pay for it. Period.

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited April 2019

Kids' logic really.

Or someone who has never dealt with his own account = a kid or a man child.

• What guarantee do clients have that your whmcs is up to date and does not contain a backdoor placed there by the cracker?

Really, think before you type.