Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Current best offers for KVM in western US?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Current best offers for KVM in western US?

I'm looking for a VPS that's a little more performance oriented than the openVZ crowd.

I'm wondering if these specs can be met for a reasonable (ideally low) price:

• minimum 512mb ram.
  • minimum 100Mbps link.
  • minimum 10GB disk.
  • KVM ideally, Xen failing that. (OpenVZ is not acceptable).
  • Ideally located in LA or the western US. Outside of North America is not acceptable.
  • TOS&AUP that allows heavy utilization and does not restrict program types (aside from the usual no-illegal-stuff clauses)

Anyone know any providers that might fit the bill?

Thanks

Comments

• awsonawson Member
    edited July 2013

https://www.digitalocean.com/

They have a location in San Francisco.

• Fliphost 2GB SSD KVM

• KiowaKiowa Member

Awson, those guys seem to check out. Thanks.

Serverian, I'm not looking for a backup VPS just now, which likely has a very restrictive TOS/AUP on what can be run and/or utilization. I will be looking for one later, but for this thread, please try to keep to the spirit of the OP. Thanks.

• MitsuhashiMitsuhashi Member
    edited July 2013

Uh @serverian's Fliphost recommendation isn't for backup. Try scrolling down a few posts on LEB. Fliphost has an LA location.

RamNode is also great, has KVM plans and a Seattle location.

Both are on SSD RAID10, so no performance issues.

• KiowaKiowa Member

@Mitsuhashi said:
    Uh serverian's Fliphost recommendation isn't for backup. Try scrolling down a few posts on LEB. Fliphost has an LA location.

RamNode is also great, has KVM plans and a Seattle location.

Both are on SSD RAID10, so no performance issues.

Oh, whoops, mistook his signature for part of his post. Sorry about that!

Anyway, thank you guys for the recommendations.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Thanks for the recommendation @serverian

Our KVM is currently fully out of stock due to the high demand. I have another node on order, once the parts come in there will be more stock.

• FeeftyFeefty Member

i also recommended Fliphost for their great service. keep it up!

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

@Feefty Thank you :) .

• ZettaZetta Member

@awson said:
    https://www.digitalocean.com/

They have a location in San Francisco.

For some reason, every time I feel like firing up a droplet something bad happens.

• awsonawson Member

@Zetta said:
    For some reason, every time I feel like firing up a droplet something bad happens.

You should open a ticket; probably something account-specific. Nothing wrong here:

• @aweson Aren't they supposed to take 55 seconds?

• emgemg Veteran
    edited July 2013

@Kiowa said:
    I'm looking for a VPS that's a little more performance oriented than the openVZ crowd.
    (...requirements listed above...)
    Anyone know any providers that might fit the bill?

Does Colorado count as "Western US"?

I have a KVM VPS from Front Range Hosting. I am pleased with their service and support. They are getting a decent number of votes in the current "Top Providers" poll. https://www.frontrangehosting.com

Their basic $4 KVM VPS matches your specs: https://www.frontrangehosting.com/hb/index.php/cart/kvm-virtual-private-servers/&step=0

Here is the offer I got last January. I doubt it is still available: http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/front-range-hosting-3-usd-month-512mb-kvm-vps-in-colorado/

• @awson, @Zeta, @awson I have a $50 credit with DigitalOcean.com and I'm staying away.

• awsonawson Member
    edited July 2013

@LV_Matt said:
    aweson Aren't they supposed to take 55 seconds?

It varies. I've had droplets be created in 23 seconds, and some in 2 minutes. I suppose it depends on the load. 55 seconds is probably their average of sorts.

• @hdpixel said:
    awson, Zeta, awson I have a $50 credit with DigitalOcean.com and I'm staying away.

Why would that be? I will be honest, I never really used my 'Droplet' over at DigitalOcean. So I can't really comment on the service, I just remember that IO varies a lot.

• emgemg Veteran

I don't know whether Texas counts as Western US either (I would call it central US), but here is an excellent offer from ShardHost that just appeared on LEB: http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/shardhost-30year-1024mb-kvm-in-dallas-texas/

• KiowaKiowa Member

Shardhost is out because they consider "excessive utilization" to be a violation of their AUP/TOS and grounds for termination.

More important than anything else in what I'm looking for, I'm looking for providers that won't care if I slam the CPU/network/IO fairly frequently. i.e., high utilization must be OK.

But I don't have a problem with the location. Western US is ideal, central is still OK... anywhere on the continent is OK if the provider's good.

Anyway, these have all been great suggestions, so thanks once again.

• anyNodeanyNode Member, Host Rep

@Kiowa said:
    More important than anything else in what I'm looking for, I'm looking for providers that won't care if I slam the CPU/network/IO fairly frequently. i.e., high utilization must be OK.

That may be an issue if you're trying to stay within the LEB range (<$7/mo)

• BuyVM/RamNode

• KiowaKiowa Member

@anyNode I'm willing to pay a bit more. Just hoping to stay below dedicated prices.

@Jeffrey said:
    BuyVM/RamNode

RamNode AUP:
    "Client agrees not to run any programs on his or her VPS which use 90% of any CPU core for an extended period of time or which cause a high CPU load on the host node for an extended period of time. In other words, client agrees not to use the equivalent of a full core for him or herself for an extended period of time."

BuyVM AUP:
    "Resource abuse consists of any activity, intentional or otherwise, that consumes enough system resources to affect other clients or equipment."

You may want to get in touch with BuyVM first if you decide to go with them. Ask them if what you will be running is OK. What will you be running anyways?

• Essentially what you're asking for is an isolated section of a physical server, including CPU access This in my eyes should retail at around £30.00/month in Europe, a little less in the USA.

Either way i believe you need to up your budget, LEB or just outside of LEB isn't going to cut it.

• @Kiowa said:
    Shardhost is out because they consider "excessive utilization" to be a violation of their AUP/TOS and grounds for termination.

Anyway, these have all been great suggestions, so thanks once again.

You are talking about VPS right? At first, I thought you were simply looking for suggestion but it sounds like you are another lost hope.

@GetKVM_Ash said:
    Essentially what you're asking for is an isolated section of a physical server, including CPU access This in my eyes should retail at around £30.00/month in Europe, a little less in the USA.

Either way i believe you need to up your budget, LEB or just outside of LEB isn't going to cut it.

His budget is below dedicated servers, so I would say between $40-50/month. Can you confirm @Kiowa

• awsonawson Member

Why not get a Kimsufi in OVH's BHS datacenter?

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Yeah unfortunately you'd have to count us out. We take CPU abuse seriously and can't allow dedicated cores 24/7.

• @Kiowa said:

So, basically you are looking for a dedicated server.

• @Microlinux said:
    So, basically you are looking for a dedicated server.

• @awson said:
    Why not get a Kimsufi in OVH's BHS datacenter?

BHS is in Quebec, which is on the east coast, OP is asking for west coast.

• kaflokaflo Member

I know of a provider that will definitely meet your requirement as far as CPU power is concerned.

Bitcable - East Coast KVM

They have a 30 day money back guarantee.