Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Waveride network problems (DDoS)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Waveride network problems (DDoS)

qheadqhead Member
edited July 2013 in Providers

Anybody else having frequent (almost daily) problems with Waveride boxes?

My VPS just went offline few minutes ago (again) and notices from Pingdom are coming daily.

Comments

• When I had a Waveride box, had the same problems.

• qheadqhead Member

I just checked my Pingdom report and yesterday there was 6(!!) ~5min drops.

Yeah, I think I'm done with Waveride. I mean I don't expect 99.99% uptime but this is too much.

• awsonawson Member
    edited July 2013

I got this email from EDIS yesterday, might be related:

Ladies and Gentlemen,

during the commissioning of additional 10G fiber optic lines on Wednesday 07/10/2013 between 05:00am and 06:00am CEST, you may encounter short network interruptions of max. 15 minutes. All services located in our Austrian locations will be affected. Additional bandwidth is required in order to better protect our infrastructure against attacks.

Thank you for your understanding!

Best Regards

Yours EDIS Team

• might be related:

more likely it's another DDoS attack....the last Austria DDoS outage was Saturday

• GunterGunter Member
    edited July 2013

Mine is unreachable again, sad considering I got this yesterday night.

It's been far longer than 15 minutes and the upgrades are scheduled in 6 hours, not now.

• patpat Member

I would expect this on such cheap accounts.

• One offline waveride vps here also. Waveride support said that host node has problems with ddos.

I hope that the network improvements tomorrow help with the situation.

• jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2013

2013 is the year of DDoS explosion, carries must provide IPS by default and prevent IP spoofing!!

• GunterGunter Member

I've have good uptime for the past 4-5 hours or so, I imagine the problem has been fixed until 5AM CEST when the new 10Gbit lines get installed.

@jmginer said:
    2013 is the year of DDoS explosion, carries must provide IPS by default and prevent IP spoofing!!

It's disappointing, that any script kiddie has access to $4/hr DDOSing services and botnet software.

• flyfly Member
    edited July 2013

i mean, you really shouldn't be surprised about DDoS outages given the stance on "abuse" from a very public EDIS rep

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited July 2013

oh @fly, don't even get me started on you - yes, i know exactly who you are, stop annoying me.

So for conclusion, yes, mainly issues with reflection attacks - This should be much faster solved now after the upgrades (there were some more upgrades not mentioned in the maintenance at the same time) and prevent most from causing issues at all.

Theres another 10G link coming in at the end of August and probably another one shortly after along with a few network changes and more migrations of hardware/customers (not VPS) from Graz to Vienna.

We also got rid off most HE BW and now almost exclusively use Retn which should give better BW quality as well.

Waveride will also liklely be placed in it's own BW mix to prevent issues for EDIS customers (which is the main reason behind it, the Waveride customers are by far not as important)

• @William: So, if Waveride customers are by far as not important, why should we buy a VPS from you? Now all new customers know they will have 'by far as no support' when a DDoS is running. And that's my own experience, too.

It's so confusing. WaveRide is a product from EDIS, right? But what should customers on the WaveRide service do, when a DDoS is attacking the network? Even when it's unmanaged, still.. What should they do? Wave around with a wizard stick?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

And ^^^this^^^ ladies and gentlemen is the problem with the Ram Race, DireVPS got slammed for being completely honest, they were honest from the get go about support and priority levels to avoid feelings like this.

I don't blame the customers I blame badly set expectations.

@DennisdeWit yes that is exactly the case, it is a super cheap oversold economy brand, that is why it is not under the EDIS banner.

Thanked by 1seriesn
  • I fully agree with @AnthonySmith. I've had too high expectations on WaveRide. You should not use it for full production purposes.

• @William said:

Waveride will also liklely be placed in it's own BW mix to prevent issues for EDIS customers (which is the main reason behind it, the Waveride customers are by far not as important)

Please note that this is not the opinion of the company, but merely represents the personal subjective opinion of the above person.

• @William said:
    the Waveride customers are by far not as important

Thanked by 2DalComp asf
  • WilliamWilliam Member
    edited July 2013

oh yea rip me apart about some wording in a not even native language, as usual - LET really degraded after the hacks and sale to CC.

This was merely meant BW wise, not customer wise and that is pretty obvious in this context.

• @DennisdeWit said:
    I fully agree with AnthonySmith. I've had too high expectations on WaveRide. You should not use it for full production purposes.

Well, it depends on how you manage it, of course ;-)

But for business purposes, I would definitely go with normal EDIS packages and not for Waveride. For a personal dev machine or something, Waveride is awesome. I think people shouldn't see these high RAM offers as something intended for high-availability, high-performance services but rather as something "on-the-side".

• That sums it up pretty good, thanks Liam :)

• SpiritSpirit Member

@William said:
    oh yea rip me apart about some wording in a not even native language, as usual - LET really degraded after the hacks and sale to CC.

You said something stupid, obviously without thinking, got undesired responses and now that's LET fault? Low kick @William

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited July 2013

Just read the last few pages and compare them to a few months back and you see yourself how it degraded, you can't deny that.

And no, it was not stupid (or i would have edited, which i actually could still do), it's simply not an entire sentence and misuse of a word to describe it the way it should be (as @Liam did) - The meaning of the network and not the service itself should be pretty clear for anyone in a NETWORK related thread but it seems some just don't get it.

As the OPs problem/question is solved i request this thread to be closed @Liam

• How does Edis manage to attract all the DDoS? I remember that when i was with them some time ago my node's network was down/unusable every other week while the hosts i'm with right now (ProviderService and Prometeus) never had any problems of that sort. Is this due to different technologies or client bases?

• SpiritSpirit Member

@William I see only degradation in your statements in this thread. This simply isn't the way to defend own "mistake".
    You said something stupid. Got back some heat. Explained to clarify. Done. But don't bring into thread something completely irrelevant. Whatever happened in this thread it had nothing to do with hack, CC or even LET itself... and only one you can put blame on is yourself.
    I will repeat it again. The way how you involved LET into your own lets call it "mistake" is low. It's irrelevant. And it had nothing to do with this thread. Take responsability for things you say or do and don't blame others.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited July 2013

to prevent issues for EDIS customers (which is the main reason behind it, the Waveride customers are by far not as important)

I wonder WTF is everyone's problem with this statement. Or do you not like being told the truth, honestly and bluntly. If a company has two customers, where the first one pays 6 times as much, and on top of that receives 4 times less product than the second one, is anyone really surprised that the 1st customer will be more important to the company than the 2nd one?

5 EUR/mo Waveride minecraft kid gets DDOSed, and someone's company business website on 30 EUR/mo EDIS KVM server goes down. What needs to be done is to separate these so than #1 doesn't affect #2, and that's exactly what they now plan on doing.

edited July 2013

@rm_ I agree completely the fault lies entirely with self expectations, I was simply pointing out that it would be impossible to get the wrong expectations from someone like direvps while waveride covers the website in enterprise grade statements so its not a big surprise that expectations are that they get the same in terms of service priority.

I am not having a go at William at all, I think it sucks that people would open a thread about this sort of thing but when it comes to setting expectations edis need to take some of the blame here too, this is just a chance for improvement.

• @AnthonySmith said:

I am not having a go at William at all, I think it sucks that people would open a thread about this sort of thing but when it comes to setting expectations edis need to take some of the blame here too, this is just a chance for improvement.

Absolutely! We strive to permanently improve our services based on feedback and reviews.
    There is also room to improve the way of how we communicate to prevent future misunderstandings. Honestly, I was shocked about Williams posting, seeing it taken out of the context and having it quoted on our twitter feed. Now I understand what he meant, but I agree that the wording was a bit "unlucky". Sorry for that guys!

Cheers,
    Gerhard @EDIS

heh no one will pay much attention to this anyway Gerhard, the wording was not that bad just the context was a little out of place, Williams written English is probably better than mine and I am from England :)

What people need to remember is that Edis have a massive customer base, the fact that this is the first complaint I have seen here regarding Edis should talk volumes about the overall quality of service, even the best of us have a "blip" even softlayer.

• @awson said:
    I got this email from EDIS yesterday, might be related:

Yours EDIS Team

They didn't have Fibre Optic lines? Or is that just something to fill the space and just say they got a 10Gbit line?

• EvoEvo Member

the Waveride customers are by far not as important

I understand that Waveride comes without any management and support, and I completely understand that Waveride is the "budget", low cost brand (the service is actually great for the price), but I find this comment a little bit offensive.

I could restructure it to "Paying my invoice for Waveride by far is not as important".

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho