Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any feedback regarding Affinity Designer?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any feedback regarding Affinity Designer?

Looking for a non subscription software to edit some vectors, psd, .eps stock photos/media from Freepik/Flaticon etc.

I've come across Affinity Designer and was wondering whether anyone here can share some experience regarding it?
Alternatively I would look at Gimp, Gravit Designer.

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2019

It’s as good as (if not better than) Adobe tools, not to be compared to open source options. Open source tools in this space are only decent for those with minimal needs.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @jar said:
    It’s as good as (if not better than) Adobe tools, not to be compared to open source options.

Cool :) Have you been using it frequently before?

@Ympker said:

@jar said:
    It’s as good as (if not better than) Adobe tools, not to be compared to open source options.

I fully replaced Adobe with Affinity tools on my MacBook and iPad. They are truly incredible.

Thanked by 2Ympker doghouch
  • @jar said:

@Ympker said:

@jar said:

I fully replaced Adobe with Affinity tools on my MacBook and iPad. They are truly incredible.

Glad to hear :P What would you say is the main difference between Affinity Photo & Designer? For the use case I've described I guess Designer would be my pick?

• jhjh Member

I am not a designer - I just use it small stuff but really like it.

Thanked by 1Ympker

Ympker said: Glad to hear :P What would you say is the main difference between Affinity Photo & Designer? For the use case I've described I guess Designer would be my pick?

Photo is your Photoshop replacement, and Designer is your Illustrator replacement. So use Designer for vectors, and Photo for editing photos.

It sounds to me like you could use both. It's a good investment since you just pay once and have it.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @jar said:

Ympker said: Glad to hear :P What would you say is the main difference between Affinity Photo & Designer? For the use case I've described I guess Designer would be my pick?

Photo is your Photoshop replacement, and Designer is your Illustrator replacement. So use Designer for vectors, and Photo for editing photos.

It sounds to me like you could use both. It's a good investment since you just pay once and have it.

Fair enough :D They also seem to throw in some free Gradiant Icons or whatever bundle. Well I'll just take them both I guess. Solid investment afterall ;)

Thanked by 1jar

Ympker said: Solid investment afterall

Kind of refreshing these days. Everyone wants to be a subscription...

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @jar said:

Ympker said: Solid investment afterall

Kind of refreshing these days. Everyone wants to be a subscription...

True that ;(

Just to make sure: Updates are included?

Ympker said: Just to make sure: Updates are included?

I don't recall paying more than once, and have seen many updates. It wouldn't surprise me if they eventually release new versions and ask for new payments though, just as their way of staying away from Adobe's subscription model.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • I only open an Adobe application if I have to. Affinity all the way!

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited February 2019

@jar said:

@Ympker said:

@jar said:

Can vouch as well — Affinity works better than Adobe on my Mac + I got it on sale on the Mac App Store (Affinity Designer) during BF a while back <3

Edit: I get updates regularly via/ the App Store for free!

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @doghouch said:

@jar said:

@Ympker said:

@jar said:

Can vouch as well — Affinity works better than Adobe on my Mac + I got it on sale on the Mac App Store (Affinity Designer) during BF a while back <3

Edit: I get updates regularly via/ the App Store for free!

Awesome! Thanks for the feedback!