Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone using Dynu for DNS management?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone using Dynu for DNS management?

I came across this service and while it primarily offers a dynamic DNS service it does appear that it could be used to host 'regular' DNS at a fantastic price.

They offer a failover service which suggests that a fully functioning DNS is available gincluding vanity nameservers etc

Anyone here using them and what are your thoughts?

Comments

• DYNU is cheap.

Dynu failovers from Active to Standby if your domain is unreachable within a duration of 5min. Once the Standby is active, and the server that was active before (current standby) comes up, it does not revert back to the old active server. You have to do it manually.

Thanked by 1apidevlab
  • @sweatbar said:
    DYNU is cheap.

Dynu failovers from Active to Standby if your domain is unreachable within a duration of 5min. Once the Standby is active, and the server that was active before (current standby) comes up, it does not revert back to the old active server. You have to do it manually.

You meant to say 'shit', then. Dynu is 'shit'.

• @Letzien said:

@sweatbar said:
    DYNU is cheap.

What's your beef? When searching for free DDNS providers, I didn't come across any negative things about Dynu. I'm using several free accounts with no experienced issues for a few years now.

Thanked by 1apidevlab
  • I have no real need for a 'premium' DNS solution and currently use cloudns as well as 1984.is but for $10 I think this is worth a punt.

• @TimboJones said:

@Letzien said:

@sweatbar said:
    DYNU is cheap.

What's your beef? When searching for free DDNS providers, I didn't come across any negative things about Dynu. I'm using several free accounts with no experienced issues for a few years now.

If it disables your domain if it drops off for a few minutes, that is pure crap. Read the above. Having to manually toggle state would be an incredible pain.

• sweatbarsweatbar Member
    edited January 2019

@Letzien said:

@sweatbar said:
    DYNU is cheap.

No it's not shit once a failover happens reverting is manual. You can't expect more for the price you pay for dynu.

• JamesFJamesF Member, Host Rep

What about cloudflare free account?

• @sweatbar said:
    DYNU is cheap.

I recently signed up for a DNS failover trial with Dynu after seeing this post. It looks like they now support automatic reverting back to the old active server. I tested with a couple of my servers and it worked pretty good. I found the DNS hosting to be very stable as well.

Thanked by 2mfs sweatbar
  • Goto say I have found the service rather good so far too, and cheap as chips to boot :)

• datanoisedatanoise Member
    edited February 2019

experttechit said: What about cloudflare free account?

Fast and free, but you'd had to setup a script to change your IP if a server goes down... Dynu is worth a try if they offer this for free and in a stable way.

@jstockley do they check from different locations if the server is down?

apidevlab said: currently use cloudns

On their free plan? If so do you know where are hosted the 4 DNS servers?

• @Letzien said:

@sweatbar said:
    DYNU is cheap.

DYNU is fine it's cheap but it works. 5 monitors for $10/year is better than dirt cheap and it works. If you want a step up then look at Dnsmadeeasy which is also cheap at $35/year for one monitor and $5 per extra. I used them for many years and never had an issue.

Thanked by 1Letzien
  • I started with the free ClouDNS and moved up to the 1st tier (DDoS 5+) at 99c/month.
    I'm a total cheapskate and consider the benefits easily pay for facilities on offer. I moved from the free one due to the amount of traffic going through their nameservers and the number of domains that I wished to offload. Otherwise the free version was good.
    HTH

• @jstockley said:

@sweatbar said:
    DYNU is cheap.

I recently signed up for a DNS failover trial with Dynu after seeing this post. It looks like they now support automatic reverting back to the old active server. I tested with a couple of my servers and it worked pretty good. I found the DNS hosting to be very stable as well.

Oh that's a +1 then

• @apidevlab said:
    Goto say I have found the service rather good so far too, and cheap as chips to boot :)

Yup, Dynu DNS is pretty awesome and I have not had to pay anything for the DNS service at all since I have not gone over the limit they have on number of records for the free account. In any case the 'membership' which pretty much unlocks everything for like 500 domain names with unlimited records just costs $9.99/year.

I just wish the monitoring service they offer had a free tier which they don't. Only a 2 week free trial. I asked them about it and their feedback was that they are not able to offer a free tier at this time but they are open to implement any new features anyone needs for the paid service.