Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vultr $2.50 Plans (512MB) Restocked, IPv6 Only - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Vultr $2.50 Plans (512MB) Restocked, IPv6 Only

13»

Comments

• JohnMiller92JohnMiller92 Member
    edited August 2018

Man, their DDOS protection is 10$/m is that high? RamNode's and BuyVM's are only $3. I mean in the scope of things if the ddos protection is REALLY good, it's probably nothing right? Does anyone have experience regarding their ddos protection?

• @JohnMiller92 said:
    Man, their DDOS protection is 10$/m is that high? RamNode's and BuyVM's are only $3. I mean in the scope of things if the ddos protection is REALLY good, it's probably nothing right? Does anyone have experience regarding their ddos protection?

10gbps

• I would wait for OVH to re-stock. At this moment, I have no project to do..

• @JohnMiller92 said:

Usually those that need it have their mums credit card (game servers) or coorporates that wouldnt even notice the money being spent

• LeeLee Veteran

JohnMiller92 said: Man, their DDOS protection is 10$/m is that high? RamNode's and BuyVM's are only $3. I mean in the scope of things if the ddos protection is REALLY good, it's probably nothing right? Does anyone have experience regarding their ddos protection?

At 10gbps it's only going to be useful for relatively small attacks, having said that you can turn it on for a month at any time if you need it. I am sure you need to take a filtered IP with BuyVM at the time of purchase, if you can add it afterwards it will likely cause delays which you won't want.

So still useful for the majority who need the comfort of some protection at short notice, not so much if you have regular issues.

Thanked by 1JohnMiller92
  • Lee said: Linode may.

Linode idiots. Just stupid as fuck idiots. They lost a super big piece of cake what they able to take, also they lose the very big amount of customers as well too because of super dumb as fuck CEO and people who do decisions.

Long story short:
    Linode pretty good provider, but they were focused on high segment 20+$ users for servers which cost just 5-10$ or less. They were not able to beat any of competitor in a price range below 30-40$. They were good innovators in the market in an old 2009-2012 year, by docs, by CP, by different features, and so on. But then, they stuck. They did not react for the market at all. They did not care about users feedback, about anything else. And voila = DigitalOcean appear. Since that time after loosing the super big amount of users, they started to make different instances with price just to stay with their piece cake in the market, but they start to do it too late, as far as I remember since around 2015 year. But it's too late. For 2018, they react finally to the market, and made an offers just to have a competition. But they lose the Super BIG amount of users. I cannot even express how big market they lose to Vultr and DigitalOcean. Holy shit. And the saddest part, that they were warned about DigitalOcean and other providers which will come to the market. Nobody cares. I still remember in memory answers from Linode support, that they're "nuts" or like that in some of the discussion. So many time gone... And I still remember all of it, because I'm very old Linode user, and it's big pity that the real top provider becomes like an average trash.

Thanked by 2NanoG6 Deepak_leb
  • LeeLee Veteran

Well, someone is an angry soldier.

• angstromangstrom Moderator

@desperand: Perhaps you just want to say that Linode has become (more or less) irrelevant.

I would tend to agree.

• desperand said: Linode idiots. Just stupid as fuck idiots.

desperand said: I'm very old Linode user

OK.

• LeeLee Veteran
    edited August 2018

Your rant aside I agree.

Really not sure what Aker has been thinking over the last 5 years in particular.

Linode had a dominant position but when DO came along he effectively dismissed them. I always recall the serverbear interview where they said in reference to DO that SSD was not necessary and they would be sticking with their current setup, also they had no concerns over their pricing.

Q a mass exodus to DO who was offering the same entry-level package as Linode at a quarter of the price with SSD.

Then Linode back-tracked and put in SSD, reduced their starting price to $15, then $10 and eventually $5.

Then there was the catastrophic DDoS incident at Christmas 2015 which affected hundreds of thousands. Their infrastructure was shown to have gaping holes in it.

Then there is their control panel, only recently have they made efforts to modernize it and even then with little real effort. Still can't even do the simplest of tasks like adding an SSH key.

The list goes on. Meanwhile DO just keep growing both in size, location and features. Then Vultr and others jump in effectively starting off ahead of where Linode is right now despite what 15 years in business and a technical advantage of at least 10 years on most others.

Long time Linode customer here also, but for the last year it's an account sitting empty, I just can't see them lasting long term the way they are going.

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited August 2018

This is the future - we won't be getting ipv4s no more. But, until then...

• I don't like IPV6

Thanked by 1Chuck
  • @sibaper said:

@Clouvider said:

Say goodbye to your ISP instead in that case :-).

time to say good bye to 99% ISP in Indonesia ;)

What is the 1% provider? Hahaha

• mikhailmikhail Member
    edited January 2019

4 tips:

(1) You do not need a native IPv6 address because Hurricane Electric Free IPv6 Tunnel Broker provides this for free.

(2) The Vultr's $2.50/mo plan do not need IPv4 because the Cloudflare already provides this for free.

(3) 32-bit Linux can handle up to 3584MB of RAM (more if the kernel uses PAE), but 64-bit systems typically require 1.7x more RAM for the same processes compared to 32-bit systems. With only 500mb ram, You have no choice: Linux 32-bit.

(4) What distro?
    Maybe Centos 6.10 32-bit + eva2000's CentMinMod + mlampe's 32-bit versions of CERN DevToolSets compilers for a complete solution.

If you need to preserve disk space, maybe:
    SliTaz (ISOs) - ISO image of less than 40 MB
    or
    Tini Core Linux (ISOs)
    - Tiny Core without X that is under 7 MB.

@rm_ said:
    If your website is https, don't hobble it with a 32-bit system.

Performance in various other software improves as well.

this is interesting. Cloudflare solves the problem of lack of IPv4 and also frees resources that would be used by cryptography....

• subjugatingsubjugating Banned, Member

IPv6 only VPS reminds me of base Gandi.net VPS, it is the only other place I found IPv6 only VPS.

• sinsin Member

mikhail said: With only 500mb ram, You have no choice: Linux 32-bit.

Or you could just install FreeBSD.

• @sin said:

mikhail said: With only 500mb ram, You have no choice: Linux 32-bit.

Or you could just install FreeBSD.

Let's see... Ubuntu Server, CentOS, Debian, Alpine, Void, Scientific, Puppy, and about 40,000,000,000,096 other variants would run in this.

OpenBSD would also work. NetBSD might. No sense doing so with TempleOS, because that is just a waste of TempleOS.

Thanked by 1eol
  • eoleol Member

Good luck with TempleOS on a remote machine...

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited January 2019

@mikhail go away with your affiliate trash

Edit: also, thanks for the necro.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited January 2019

mikhail said: 32-bit Linux can handle up to 3584MB of RAM (more if the kernel uses PAE), but 64-bit systems typically require 1.7x more RAM for the same processes compared to 32-bit systems. With only 500mb ram, You have no choice: Linux 32-bit.

Not really. This "typically" is highly dubious, I'd say it's only like 1.2-1.3 at most. And you get better performance for that, because on 64-bit you not only get the mundane higher memory support limit, but also tons of other improvements, most significant of which is double the number of registers in the CPU.

Doing crypto is much faster when able to do 64-bit math in one operation:

If your website is https, don't hobble it with a 32-bit system.

• eoleol Member

@rm_ said:

And file size.

• @doghouch said:
    @mikhail go away with your affiliate trash

Sorry for that.

Edit: also, thanks for the necro.

LOL
    If my English is horrible, my Greek is nil. Thanks for the nekrós-what?

@rm_ said:

Hi! These tests were done on a computer with 8GB:

My comment was about a server with 512 RAM.
    If { bad things happen when the server does not have enough memory; }
    andif { 64-bit systems typically require 1.7x more RAM... } then...

Do you know where I can find benchmarking tests done with 512 RAM?

• If you want a reliable benchmark you need to do it yourself.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited February 2019

mikhail said: Do you know where I can find benchmarking tests done with 512 RAM?

Those performance numbers will not vary with RAM, unless you start to run out of it and go into swap. But with a typical nginx+php+mail+vpn box, you will not run out of 512MB RAM, yes, including on 64 bit. And you don't even need a cut-down special distro like those you listed, just the normal Debian will be fine.

You have not set up and used enough VPSes (or in general, "just got into computers recently"), if you think 512MB is low RAM.

• mikhail said: Do you know where I can find benchmarking tests done with 512 RAM?

Just to satisfy your curiosity as well as mine, I created two 512 MB KVM on a same node and performed tests (openssl speed) on Alpine-virt 3.9.0 Live ISO.

i686 vs x86_64

Base system memory usage: 45 MB vs 57 MB (1.26x)

MD5 and SHA-1 speed: 1.1x ~ 1.2x

RSA-2048: 10x (sign), 8.43x (verify)

Thanked by 3uptime rm_ mikhail
  • @rm_ said:

mikhail said: Do you know where I can find benchmarking tests done with 512 RAM?

Those performance numbers will not vary with RAM, unless you start to run out of it and go into swap. But with a typical nginx+php+mail+vpn box, you will not run out of 512MB RAM, yes, including on 64 bit. And you don't even need a cut-down special distro like those you listed, just the normal Debian will be fine.

You have not set up and used enough VPSes (or in general, "just got into computers recently"), if you think 512MB is low RAM.

This.

Alas, the cool kids nowadays use a powerful interpreter called node.js, along with an awesome package manager called npm, for which 512MB RAM is puny.

• LetzienLetzien Member
    edited February 2019

@psb777 said:
    Alas, the cool kids nowadays use a powerful interpreter called node.js, along with an awesome package manager called npm, for which 512MB RAM is puny.

You mean that language that existed because <marquee> didn't? We've taken care of that.

• @psb777 said:

Just to satisfy your curiosity as well as mine, I created two 512 MB KVM on a same node and performed tests (openssl speed) on Alpine-virt 3.9.0 Live ISO.

Great!

i686 vs x86_64

Base system memory usage: 45 MB vs 57 MB (1.26x)
    MD5 and SHA-1 speed: 1.1x ~ 1.2x
    RSA-2048: 10x (sign), 8.43x (verify)

Please, could you repeat the same tests with less RAM? (16 or 32 MB free)
    The idea is to emulate a server in a stressful time...

• @mikhail Necromancy (or “necro” for short) is typically used to describe people that attempt to talk with the dead. Having said that, the expression is now commonly used to refer to people who revive dead threads on forums online.

As this is a (mostly) English forum, I do agree that some of the rules can be hard to understand as someone who does not natively speak the language. If you (promise) to not bring back old threads, I’ll gladly remove the warning (which isn’t visible to anyone else anyway).

Thanked by 1angstrom