Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

acceptable cpu use
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

acceptable cpu use

spikyspiky Member
edited July 2013 in General

For LEB VPS, what kind of CPU use is acceptable? Is 60% of 1 core out of a multi-cores plan acceptable? Thanks.

Comments

• awsonawson Member
    edited July 2013

"Don't be a dick" is acceptable most of the time.

Some providers give their CPU policy in the AUP.

• spikyspiky Member

"Don't be a dick" is very vague, any number to define "dick"?

• RemiRemi Member

@awson said:
    "Don't be a dick" is acceptable most of the time.

Some providers give their CPU policy in the AUP.

"Don't be a dick" mean dont use the cpu in this leb host because you pay cheap

go in digitalocean and use all cpu and still pay cheap

• krokro Member

Its hard to say, depends how loaded the node/cores are and how many others have to share the same core(s)

Generally the cheaper the VPS's the more volume required, more containers sharing said resources.
    Some providers charge more for their plans which in turn allows less amounts of containers per node. Some charge more and still oversell like crazy.

I think using bursts of CPU for short periods is fine. If you really require atleast 60% of a core for a long period, perhaps discuss with the provider to confirm this is ok. If it's not might be time to look into a cheap dedicated server instead.

• fapvpsfapvps Member

60% of 1 core is all good fair game with us.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

@Remi said:

Too bad using 100% Digital Ocean CPU is like using 10% CPU from any decent provider.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2013

We allow 100% usage of the cpu, meaning, if you have 4 cores, you can have a load of 4 with occasional spikes, not more than a few minutes is big and not more than a couple of hour if little. (Big being 2x, say load two for 1 core and little being load 5 for 4 cores)

However, personally I am lashing out on users on the OVerZold plans which go higher then 100% shutting down and suspending them especially when I find out that the abuse comes from using forbidden software such as game clients and for spikes of 8x, we even had 2k loads on some containers...

• jcalebjcaleb Member

is digital ocean throttled?

• @jcaleb said:
    is digital ocean throttled?

That's how it always works in the real world. You either have fair share and can use all of it sometimes OR you have a throttled CPU you can always use, but it'll be slow. Some people prefer 1, some people prefer the other. You can't get everything.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • dnomdnom Member

I heard Xen has a really good CPU scheduler that it makes sure everyone gets a certain minimum but still allow CPU bursts as long as there is idle CPU. I guess then you don't have to worry about being a dick. Don't quote me on this though. I'd love to hear @AntonySmith if he can clarify about this as he seems to be the Xen expert around here.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2013

I can also confirm that Xen-PV has minimum overhead and a good resources separation, not allowing anyone lock cores as it happens in OVZ.

On the other hand, KVM has also a very good separation, but the overhead is a couple of times higher than in Xen-PV, which, in turn, is 2 times higher than in OVZ. (Dont hold me to that, it is just how i feel it).

• According to one lunatic a server load of up to 5.0 (on 2 cores) is perfectly OK because vBulletin's overload setting is 5.0 :P

from the LEB comments:

Domainbop also have no idea about nix server load....

FYI, most forum board suggest 5.0 nix server load in a share hosting...

...irrelevant??? hahaha! appeal to vbuetin, smf, phpbb and mybb Domainbop… ask them why they suggest 5.0 nix serverload, or create a cause in internet that you are more genius about nix serverload that they put in their forum software. told them that they need to remove that.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@Maounique said:
    I can also confirm that Xen-PV has minimum overhead and a good resources separation, not allowing anyone lock cores as it happens in OVZ.

On the other hand, KVM has also a very good separation, but the overhead is a couple of times higher than in Xen-PV, which, in turn, is 2 times higher than in OVZ. (Dont hold me to that, it is just how i feel it).

@dnom ^^ This :)

My limit is above 70% of a core for 24 hours = warning

• IshaqIshaq Member

@Remi said:

Are they paying you or something?

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • DroidzoneDroidzone Member
    edited July 2013

@Maounique said:
    especially when I find out that the abuse comes from using forbidden software such as game clients

So you monitor their files and activity to determine this?

• @Remi said:
    "Don't be a dick" mean dont use the cpu in this leb host because you pay cheap

Yes it does mean. Unless you pay for a dedicated CPU core, you shouldn't expect having a dedicated CPU core.

If DigitalOcean is satisfying your needs why are you still here?

• jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2013

Put in a cron to check if a container CPU is overloaded and then stop it.

#! /bin/bash
    export PATH="/usr/kerberos/sbin:/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/root/bin"
    maxload="10"; # put here the max loadavg permitted
    cat /dev/null > loads.txt;
    vzlist -o ctid,laverage > loads.txt;
    cat loads.txt | while read line; do
    vm=$(echo ${line:0:5});
    load=$(echo ${line} | cut -d'/' -f3);
    load2=$(echo ${load} | cut -d'.' -f1);
    if [ $load2 -gt $maxload ]
        then
        echo "stopping $vm - $load";
        vzctl stop $vm;
        echo "$vm - $load" | mail -s "$vm stopped for overload" [email protected]
    fi
    done