Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Request for vps with UK ip not blocked by BBC iplayer
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Request for vps with UK ip not blocked by BBC iplayer

I want a minimal vps with UK ip address that is not blocked by BBC iplayer and itv hub.
I will use the server for vpn server so I need tun tap, minimum 200GB bandwidth with good reliable speed to West Coast US.
I don't have limit for budget but cheaper is better.
My current UK vps ip is blocked by BBC iplayer so I need new one.

Comments

• You'll still need a license.

• These Hosts can help you @AnthonySmith @redit

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2019

UK to west coast is always going to be a bit shitty due to latency however I suppose a few hundred kbps for iplayer is fine.

https://clients.inceptionhosting.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=178 €12.00 p/year with dedicated IP.

If the IP is blocked with iplayer within the first 14 days I am happy to refund you.

• @AnthonySmith said:
    UK to west coast is always going to be a bit shitty due to latency however I suppose a few hundred kbps for iplayer is fine.

https://clients.inceptionhosting.com/cart.php?a=add&pid=178 €12.00 p/year with dedicated IP.

If the IP is blocked with iplayer within the first 14 days I am happy to refund you.

Your offer looks interesting. However does "a few hundred kbps" the maximum speed for this plan?
    When I stream iplayer via vpn to my TV, the average bitrate is around 3Mbps, so in order to have streaming without buffering much, I would need around 7Mbps burstable... does this too much ?

• inklightinklight Member
    edited January 2019

jamuja said: so in order to have streaming without buffering much, I would need around 7Mbps burstable... does this too much ?

I didn't have account with them but 7Mbps seems still below average for most VPS , specially if they offers 100Mbps/ FU/Unmetered 7Mbps is nothing . BTW if you download the player video make sure to use Desktop user agent to avoid automatically ban +tell no one you use such trick(as you should post it under offtopic) .

• @inklight you posted about the desktop agent in an indexed thread. Sorry advice is invalid now.

jamuja said: Your offer looks interesting. However does "a few hundred kbps" the maximum speed for this plan?

When I stream iplayer via vpn to my TV, the average bitrate is around 3Mbps, so in order to have streaming without buffering much, I would need around 7Mbps burstable... does this too much ?

No, 1000 mbps is the maximum however you will never see close to that from UK to west coast USA because that is just not how the internet works, there is a lot of latency getting from east to west over land on top of the 100ms from the UK to hit the USA to begin with.

• I would 100% recommend Inception Hosting great company all my servers are solid.
    I will run a speedtest to Los Angeles on my server and post the speeds for you.

• All servers in Los Angeles. If you want some more tests done P.M me the speedtest.net server id's and I will happily do some more.

Hosted by Frontier 242.178 ms
    Download: 171.76 Mbit/s
    Upload: 17.39 Mbit/s

Hosted by AT&T 196.597 ms
    Download: 165.77 Mbit/s
    Upload: 16.14 Mbit/s

Hosted by Time Warner Cable 209.044 ms
    Download: 176.45 Mbit/s
    Upload: 15.07 Mbit/s

Hosted by QuadraNet, Inc 216.236 ms
    Download: 265.46 Mbit/s
    Upload: 16.27 Mbit/s

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited January 2019

If you only use it for VPN you could also get an Ivacy VPN subscription. They have a browser extension that let's you specifically select which service you want to unblock and then direct you to a server not blacklisted. This is also more comfortable because once your vps IP is blacklisted you don't have any use for it anymore (atleast for your original purpose) where as Ivacy or a VPN provider that focuses on unlocking will exchange it with a new working IP :)

Currently they have a 5 years / 60$ promo going on if you wanna grab that.

Here it shows all channels you can unblock:

https://www.ivacy.com/chrome-vpn-extension/

Another way for you to access BBC iplayer without having to register an account with BBC is by using the legal Zattoo TV on demand streaming service. The Free plan allows you to watch lots of TV channels in SD/480p and shows ads (but only when switching channels). The paid plan allows HD (though imho free plan is sufficient). Now Zattoo Channels are different by region so Zattoo Germany has only 75 channels accessible to the free plan and mostly german channels which is boring. That's why you should make a free account with Zattoo Switzerland (using a swiss ip). This way you will gain access to 246 channels including BBC 1-4, itv, sports.. even on their free plan. They also allow recording shows (20 hours of recording) to watch later.

• I just watched the new season of Luther on the BBC iPlayer website by creating a free account with a fake email address, name, and random UK postal code. I used my paid VPN provider which I normally use for Netflix with other locations.

What are you guys on about with “license” etc?

Any decent provider with decent peering should work fine, from Istanbul, I can even watch Netflix etc with a Brazilian/Japanese/Canadian etc VPN, pretty sure you can watch BBC from US West.

What @Ympker suggested is probably your best option, DC IP ranges get blocked all the time it is highly unlikely you will get a year out of one, you could pay for a year and get a month and its not really the hosts problem/fault.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @kerouac said:

In the UK you pay £150 a year for TV license which funds BBC programmes you also need it to watch iPlayer too.

Thanked by 1Letzien
  • @AnthonySmith said:
    What @Ympker suggested is probably your best option, DC IP ranges get blocked all the time it is highly unlikely you will get a year out of one, you could pay for a year and get a month and its not really the hosts problem/fault.

That's where I was getting at. As a provider I can recommend Inception Hosting / @AnthonySmith just like anyone else here but imho for what OP wants to achieve the options I have described are more likely to be successfull.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited January 2019

@Razza said:

@kerouac said:

In the UK you pay £150 a year for TV license which funds BBC programmes you also need it to watch iPlayer too.

We just learned about this in our University "intercultural" course about UK lol^^

Public Channels (mostly BBC iirc; paid by that license fee) and Independent Channels (ITV.. powered by commercials/ads). It seems a bit like the GEZ fee we have to pay in Germany (210€/year). There is also basically no way out even if I don't watch TV. Atleast with BBC you have quality shows like Sherlock.. German TV though... ugh

• At least you don't get ads on BBC, unlike paying those robbing fuckers Sky £50/mo AND getting ads on top

Thanked by 1AlwaysSkint
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@hostnoob said:
    At least you don't get ads on BBC, unlike paying those robbing fuckers Sky £50/mo AND getting ads on top

You need to pay for TV license on top of your Sky subscription.

• @Clouvider said:

@hostnoob said:
    At least you don't get ads on BBC, unlike paying those robbing fuckers Sky £50/mo AND getting ads on top

You need to pay for TV license on top of your Sky subscription.

Yea I know that

What I mean is I'm happy to pay a license fee because the BBC have some good content, and you don't get ads, whereas you do with pretty much every other subscription package

Only problem with the BBC is that they're real cheapskates when it comes to game show prizes.

Thanked by 1Clouvider
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

Boy, am I glad I don't watch TV.

Thanked by 3eol Letzien i83
  • eoleol Member
    edited January 2019

@deank said:
    Boy, am I glad I don't watch TV.

Same.

EDIT3:

Thanked by 1Letzien
  • NordVPN works perfectly for BBC, and for different Netflix locations..

• @netfox said:
    NordVPN works perfectly for BBC, and for different Netflix locations..

We have seen many VPN providers IP addresses blacklisted by BBC.

I don't know how good is NordVPN fare compare to others.

If you have the VPN IP address, is it detected as VPN in IP2Location Demo? If yes, it might be blacklisted soon.

• @Razza said:

@kerouac said:

You could say that you use a black and white TV to get it down to £49.00.

Also you don't even need to pay since there's no way of them actually knowing if your watching TV, they'll just send you post saying you are and tell you that you'll need to pay - even if your not.

• reditredit Member, Host Rep

@uxtvdl Thanks for the mention, sorry its been so long been under the weather as they say.
    Now that I've caught up on this thread I would agree with @AnthonySmith you might get a month or maybe more out of a VPS before it gets blocked by the BBC or others plus what some of the others have said if you are planing on watching ANY UK based TV channels you are REQUIRED to have a valid UK TV License.
    That all being said and if you are still looking for a UK based VPS please do have a look at our VPS page at https://www.redit.co.uk/vps please note that our VPS have 100Mb port defined.

Regards,
    Scott

Thanked by 1uxtvdl
  • @Razza said:

@kerouac said:

How did I watch iPlayer with fake credentials?

• RazzaRazza Member
    edited February 2019

kerouac said: How did I watch iPlayer with fake credentials?

Technically you need valid TV license to watch iplayer but they don't ask for proof or validate it in anyway all you need to enter is a valid UK postcode when register your BBC account to be able to use Iplayer.

• kerouac said: How did I watch iPlayer with fake credentials?

Not calling you a liar, but it's a technical requirement that you need a UK IP address to use iplayer, regardless of being able to create an account.