Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ASK how to block torrent , bittorrent
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ASK how to block torrent , bittorrent

hello . i need tutorial for block torrent , bittorrent

I found a way in google but have step error.

if using ipp2p / l7 I do not understand to install.

thank you :)

Comments

• dnomdnom Member
    edited July 2013

Well according to http://www.ipp2p.org/

IPP2P is not supported any longer. Please check OpenDPI.org!

So I guess that would be a start.

• @dnom said:
    Well according to http://www.ipp2p.org/
    So I guess that would be a start.

hello you have install tutorial for ipp2p ?
    because i don't understand for install ipp2p .

• Besides blocking the default ports for rtorrent/deluge/transmission, you are basically fighting a losing battle here

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2013

Actually, I found Layer 7 DPI apps to do a very good job in the times I was in change of a neighbourhood net.

In that time was about prioritizing, not blocking, i.e. allow BT/kazaa, etc, but only in the spare bandwidth giving priority for SIP, HTTP(S), game protocols, etc.

The only problem was having a machine to cope with 100 mbps, huge line 7 years back and not so powerful cheap computers, in the end did a pretty good job, after a month or so of tweaking, had a setup where everyone could do everything at decent speeds, so much so that ppl said, well, we dont need so much bw anymore :P

Protocol obfuscation can work to a point, but there are adaptive, learning apps today that check for patterns of big loads, many connections on random ports and limit the IP overall, not only some traffic in case protocol obfuscation is used.

• rds100rds100 Member

Just set reasonable bandwidth limits and people will not use torrents, or at least not much.

• @Maounique said:
    Actually, I found Layer 7 DPI apps to do a very good job in the times I was in change of a neighbourhood net.

In that time was about prioritizing, not blocking, i.e. allow BT/kazaa, etc, but only in the spare bandwidth giving priority for SIP, HTTP(S), game protocols, etc.

The only problem was having a machine to cope with 100 mbps, huge line 7 years back and not so powerful cheap computers, in the end did a pretty good job, after a month or so of tweaking, had a setup where everyone could do everything at decent speeds, so much so that ppl said, well, we dont need so much bw anymore :P

Protocol obfuscation can work to a point, but there are adaptive, learning apps today that check for patterns of big loads, many connections on random ports and limit the IP overall, not only some traffic in case protocol obfuscation is used.

if so what could be blocking the tracker?

@rds100 said:
    Just set reasonable bandwidth limits and people will not use torrents, or at least not much.

hello .

my vps in usa. and the hosting provider does not allow violating the DMCA. because my vps suspend due to one of my client downloaded using bittorrent.

edited July 2013

I am afraid you cannot block it in a VPS, you need a firewall with DPI and a learning app before it.

Even so, you cannot block anyone from connecting to swarms, there is a delay in which a few packets pass in case of protocol obfuscation before the block occurs due to the time needed for the layer 7 filtering application to recognize the pattern.

If you can put a firewall and filtering before the VPS IP, you can block your customer from uploading, because will not be enough packets to form a chink so the customer will not be able to announce he has the file for sharing (which is actually what the DMCA settlement lawyers are actually looking for).

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep

autokill kill the torrent client(s) via cron ? and/or make a hosts entry to 127.0.0.1 for the popular public trackers ?

it does, but you can just rename and recompile the executable and it will remain stealthy.

Only thing that cannot really be hidden is the traffic, obfuscated or not, it still follows unmistakeable patterns, a really good DPI/L7 application will learn to detect.