Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Prevent outgoing SPAM email - Global solution
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Prevent outgoing SPAM email - Global solution

KeyJeyKeyJey Member
edited January 2019 in General

Hello, a client email account was compromised this time in one of our cPanel boxes and sent hundreds of emails were sent until we got the alerts and so.

Results: One IP blacklisted.

It's fine, we have more IPs, but .... this is always the same. When is not a compromised account it's a PHP script that sends thousands of emails from our IPs.

So I wonder if are there any open source solutions that can check all servers outgoing emails and detect and block this SPAM injections.

I tried ASSP one time but had some issues after some time ...... any other centralized solutions ?

The idea would be using this box as an outgoing smart server, coz we have cpanel, plesk and other VPSs.

Maybe spamexperts outgoing email would work also, but not sure if it will be the right option for this kind of need.

What do u think ?

Comments

• eoleol Member

It's cold outside.

• CrossBoxCrossBox Member, Patron Provider

Make use of cPanel's:

• Maximum Hourly Email by Domain Relayed
    • Maximum percentage of failed or deferred messages a domain may send per hour
    • Configure Exim to block spoofing attempts
    • Force use of authenticated SMTP
    • Scan and drop outgoing SPAM with SpamAssassin
    • Add a blacklist monitor to notify you when the server's IP is blacklisted
    Thanked by 1KeyJey
  • Maybe spamexperts outgoing email would work also, but not sure if it will be the right option for this kind of need.

SpamExperts will work for this problem however, note that SpamExperts itself is not going to stop the issue on the server but will act as a buffer to prevent the messages from getting out. If they are detected as SPAM, SpamExperts won't send them out and they'll back up in your mail queue where you can review them.

Additional measures on the server itself should also be taken such as the ones mentioned in the previous reply.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@CrossBox said:
    Make use of cPanel's:

• Maximum Hourly Email by Domain Relayed
    • Maximum percentage of failed or deferred messages a domain may send per hour
    • Configure Exim to block spoofing attempts
    • Force use of authenticated SMTP
    • Scan and drop outgoing SPAM with SpamAssassin
    • Add a blacklist monitor to notify you when the server's IP is blacklisted

This, even if you just you only use the first 2

• HostMediaHostMedia Member, Patron Provider

MailChannels would help prevent SPAM from going out but I would also recommend adjusting your server settings (maximum hourly rate, as other have said). It would cost but pretty much remove the issue you are having

• IKIHOSTIKIHOST Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2019

@HostMedia said:
    MailChannels would help prevent SPAM from going out but I would also recommend adjusting your server settings (maximum hourly rate, as other have said). It would cost but pretty much remove the issue you are having

+1 for mailchannels Outbound Filtering

• Yes, MC looks the best one, but prices are amazingly prohibitive !

I wonder if I can use SpamExperts with some accounts in a plesk server and some accounts in some cPanel servers ?

I've been checking about SpamExperts (I use it for one client VPS email for years now) and seems that they are very helpful wit this ! so I would go to SpamExperts !

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@KeyJey let me know if you're interested in MailChannels, can do something custom perhaps for you, SMTP Relay. Would be happy to help you.

• Better close port 25, I think it would be best solution.