Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HDD or SSD for streaming site like Youtube?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HDD or SSD for streaming site like Youtube?

What is required for streaming site like youtube?

HDD, SSD, CPU or RAM?

Kimsufi can handle such site with maximum 50 users?

Comments

• eoleol Member

How many p?

• Define streaming - just serving up video files in a pretty interface or real time encoding?

• SSD With High CPU and Ram with multiple data centers and a company like Google to handle all this 😂

Thanked by 1eol
  • iloveasiailoveasia Member
    edited January 2019

Only need it for 50 to 100 users.

I would like to use this media streaming php software.
    https://codecanyon.net/item/playtube-the-ultimate-php-video-sharing-platform/20759294

• User can upload their video
    • Visitor can watch video.

Simple.
  • sudorangersudoranger Member
    edited January 2019

@iloveasia said:

All you need is money or investors. Cash is king.

• @sudoranger said:

@iloveasia said:

All you need is money or investors. Cash is king.

I can invest money. Want to know what is recommended for 50 to 100 users?

Youtube use HDD or SSD?

• iloveasia said: I can invest money. Want to know what is recommended for 50 to 100 users?

Youtube use HDD or SSD?

As I check, the script you mentioned support Amazon S3. It'll be the ready-for-production solution and you don't have to worry much about storage or redundancy. The only thing to think about is the pricing.

If you are going for dedicated:
    Storage-wise: you can just store video on HDD. SSD speed and HDD speed are not that big gap if you're only serving 50-100 users. You will need some raid1 or 5 in case of data-loss.

Bandwidth-wise: 50-100 users will be fine on a 1gbps shared connection watching 720p videos. If you demand more than that, you may need multiple connection and scattered servers to handle that.

CPU and RAM-wise: not much power will be need, if you just only store and serve video. If you want to transcript video then it'll be another math.

Thanked by 1iloveasia
  • NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

If you want to stream up to 50 users, you need something bigger than 100Mbit.
    But unsure about if a SSD is needed, 1080p HD uses 0.625 MB/s so multiply that by 50.

Does not look like you need a SSD to me, just a bigger Network port.

Thanked by 1iloveasia
  • eoleol Member

Don't assume sequential access when in fact it's more like random access which is a lot slower on HDDs.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@eol said:
    Don't assume sequential access when in fact it's more like random access which is a lot slower on HDDs.

Well, yea that could bust the HDD.

Thanked by 1eol