Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Host who allows TPB Proxy
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Host who allows TPB Proxy

BlazeMuisBlazeMuis Member
edited July 2013 in Requests

I'm looking for a host who allows a TPB proxy to be hosted (nginx reverse proxy) at their servers

I currently have a proxy hosted at an mKS2G, having 3k+ unique visits a day and around 5k+ pageviews a day, so need a VPS which will be able to handle this amount daily

Don't need more then 512MB RAM, 10GB disk and 1TB BW (needs to be easy to upgrade)

Offers via both this thread or PM are welcome

EU preffered

Comments

• Are you sure that you need 512 MB RAM for 5k pageviews on Nginx?

• maybe offshore locations

• BlazeMuisBlazeMuis Member
    edited July 2013

@gsrdgrdghd said:
    Are you sure that you need 512 MB RAM for 5k pageviews on Nginx?

Currently using ~200MB on the Kimsufi server

So, yep

• awsonawson Member

Something from EDIS, perhaps?

• Currently using ~200MB on the Kimsufi server

Did you tune your Nginx config?

• @gsrdgrdghd said:
    Did you tune your Nginx config?

Just a little bit, not much though

• AmfyAmfy Member

I was hosting such a TPB proxy on a 64MB VPS for like 9 months and there was never an issue with such a high RAM usage :)

• @Amfy said:
    I was hosting such a TPB proxy on a 64MB VPS for like 9 months and there was never an issue with such a high RAM usage :)

Was yours also getting 5k+ visits a day?

• how do we use thepiratebay these days, i've tried to use some of the proxy sites but i get some trouble when trying to download the torrent file which is actually and .exe file??

• awsonawson Member
    edited July 2013

@asterisk14 said:
    how do we use thepiratebay these days, i've tried to use some of the proxy sites but i get some trouble when trying to download the torrent file which is actually and .exe file??

You must be clicking on ads...

• @awson said:
    You must be clicking on ads...

Indeed lol, TPB does not serve .torrent files anymore, just magnet links

• AbdussamadAbdussamad Member
    edited July 2013

nvm.

• asterisk14asterisk14 Member
    edited July 2013

@awson

If I click 'anonymous dowload' I get this
    http://s10.postimg.org/9xxhp5h15/anon.png

and if I click 'get this torrent' I get this
    http://s9.postimg.org/yonyd5rzz/torrent.png

• AmfyAmfy Member
    edited July 2013

@joodle said:
    Was yours also getting 5k+ visits a day?

Yes, around that.

I'm using Nginx for most of my projects, lots of them receive much more than 5k visitors per day and Nginx never uses more than a couple of Megabyte.

Are you sure not having enabled to cache static files and these files were cached then so you thought Nginx uses 200MB RAM?

edited July 2013

I've got utorrent 1.6 installed so why it not recongise magnet links?

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@asterisk14 said:

As a work-around, right click the magnet link, "Copy link address" (or whatever it's called in Firefox), then open up uTorrent, look for an "open URL" option in the menus, and add it that way. There's probably also something in the settings somewhere that lets you fix the association for magnet links.

If all else fails, try http://tixati.com/.

• anyNodeanyNode Member, Host Rep

@asterisk14 said:

Is it supposed to? The latest stable version of utorrent is 3.3.1

• awsonawson Member

@asterisk14 said:
    awson

If I click 'anonymous dowload' I get this
    http://s10.postimg.org/9xxhp5h15/anon.png

and if I click 'get this torrent' I get this
    http://s9.postimg.org/yonyd5rzz/torrent.png

The "anonymous download" link is an ad, quite possibly malware.

uTorrent 1.6 is old. Try using Transmission: http://sourceforge.net/projects/trqtw/

edited July 2013

@joepie91 thanks will give it a go
    @anynode @awson, heard that versions higher than 1.6 may have RIAA or whatever it's called spyware in it as after that version utorrent was sold off, so I use 1.6 utorrent

' I believe 1.6 build 474 is the last one before they joined up or did whatever with the mpaa/riaa.'

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited July 2013

@asterisk14 said:
    joepie91 thanks will give it a go
    anynode awson, heard that versions higher than 1.6 may have RIAA or whatever it's called spyware in it as after that version utorrent was sold off, so I use 1.6 utorrent

' I believe 1.6 build 474 is the last one before they joined up or did whatever with the mpaa/riaa.'

If you're concerned about this, there are several open-source BitTorrent clients that you could try: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_BitTorrent_clients

I think Deluge and Miro are the most reasonable open-source suggestions if you're running Windows. Transmission is a good option for OS X and Linux.

I personally really like Tixati due to their feature-completeness (and a certain amount of nostalgia as it has obviously been developed by the former WinMX developers), but it is (currently) not open-source, even though it's cross-platform. I therefore don't think that Tixati would be a good choice if you're concerned about malware of some sort.

EDIT: To my knowledge, both Miro and Deluge support magnet links. I'm 100% sure that Transmission does.

• awsonawson Member

Magnet links were not supported in uTorrent until 1.8: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ΜTorrent#Magnet_Link_.28URI.29_Support

As @joepie91 said, use another client.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

Another open source client is rtorrent, it's very easy to use with a simple command-line interface.

• I think this thread got derailed. Maybe just a little.

• @Magiobiwan said:
    I think this thread got derailed. Maybe just a little.

Yeah true, little bit too much

• One advice: do not go for any VPS in The Netherlands with this project. Stichting BREIN will send you a takedown notice. If you stay online with the service, they will sue you.

Stay away from Germany, too. GEMA does the same thing. Though, you may look for Sweden or any hoster that allows warez.

• awsonawson Member

@DennisdeWit said:
    One advice: do not go for any VPS in The Netherlands with this project. Stichting BREIN will send you a takedown notice. If you stay online with the service, they will sue you.

Stay away from Germany, too. GEMA does the same thing. Though, you may look for Sweden or any hoster that allows warez.

TPB does not host warez

• @awson said:
    TPB does not host warez

So? Many providers will tell you, you do. Even because you infringe copyright.

You don't believe me? Okay. The Pirate Bay is blocked in The Netherlands. Just for linking to content and not even hosting it theirselves.

Besides, when you start a normal proxy in NL, you will have to block TBP. Even when it's not your purpose to reverse TPB, you're still illegal for the possibility of abusing users.

Maybe Russian or East-European hosts can help you?

• chrispchrisp Member

Russia is not a good idea, too right now:

en.ria.ru/russia/20130626/181890072/Russian-Anti-Piracy-Bill-Gets-Final-Parliamentary-Approval.html

Just use what others use. Infium Ltd or Voxility, those will do the job for the next time.

• @DennisdeWit yeah i know, i live in the Netherlands so i know about TPB troubles here

Anyway, still looking for a "cheap" host (already got a great offer in the UK though)

Update: Just got 6.8k pageviews from 3.8k unique visitors (no idea how much more the mKS2G can handle, Celeron D 1.2 Ghz)

• JacobJacob Member
    edited July 2013

Aslong as there's no warez and ilegal content going through the server, I doubt it'll be a problem. Only major (broadband) ISPs in the UK was 'forced' to disallow access to TPB, and even then BT took their time doing this.

But then again, I'm no expert on this so don't take my word for it.