Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any good managed email hosting for own domain name? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any good managed email hosting for own domain name?

Comments

• subjugatingsubjugating Banned, Member

@jar said:

cipher said: The way you think is totally shady and super fishy.

I'm sorry you feel that way, and I hope one day you run an internet service with a shared environment that requires trust to function at a reasonable quality. You'll learn what it's like to be taken advantage of and never sleep, or you'll be under someone's thumb because you got investors and hired people to do it for you. Either way, you learn. I'm not here to beg for $5, just sharing some realities. I'm out :)

Don't be sorry because I am not. :tired_face:

So, you think Tutanota, Mailbox.org, PRQ.se, Protonmail.com, Lavabit, don't have investors and employees?

Not saying I don't understand your side of the story.

I appreciate your response and time. Peace out.

@sanvit said:
    You are going to give away your email or credit card number anyway for your payments.

Not really? But good point.

• kkrajkkkrajk Member
    edited January 2019

cipher said: There even exist services today that do not need any personal data and offer email hosting with custom domain. It is not a new thing.

cipher said: So, you think Tutanota, Mailbox.org, PRQ.se, Protonmail.com, Lavabit, don't have investors and employees?

So go with them. Why even try to change the way a business operates (edit - when) that business is not a monopoly especially when you have nearly half a dozen operators to your liking.

@kkrajk said:

cipher said: There even exist services today that do not need any personal data and offer email hosting with custom domain. It is not a new thing.

cipher said: So, you think Tutanota, Mailbox.org, PRQ.se, Protonmail.com, Lavabit, don't have investors and employees?

So go with them. Why even try to change the way a business operates (edit - when) that business is not a monopoly especially when you have nearly half a dozen operators to your liking.

Mxroute was recommend to me by an old person. I really trust his recommendations.

• @cipher said:

@kkrajk said:

Mxroute was recommend to me by an old person. I really trust his recommendations.

Then trust MXR and go with them.

Thanked by 1Wolveix
  • I'm not sure, sis. It seems like the real issue here is about privacy stuff which is heavily politicized especially in the EU.

Tutanota is based in Germany. Germany has a reputation for valuing personal privacy and protecting it by law, and it’s also bound by the GDPR – perhaps the strongest collection of privacy laws in the world right now. However, the NSA has facilities in Germany, leading many to assume that they spy on Germany and the rest of Europe from Germany. If so, this may call into question the government’s dedication to personal privacy.

ProtonMail is based in Switzerland. Because it’s not part of the EU, Switzerland is not bound by the GDPR. However, given the importance of its intensely private banking industry in Switzerland, it’s clear that the country values privacy from both a legal and cultural standpoint. If data is stored inaccessibly, a judge can still grant access to it, but Swiss law demands that the owner of the data (you) must be informed before this is done.

And,

1. https://tutanota.com/blog/posts/cryptocurrency-support/
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited January 2019

sanvit said: Then trust MXR and go with them.

Not a good idea. If data is not important, none of this matters. If it is important, going with me and not trusting me is bad decision making. If it is important, you do trust me, and me not knowing anything about you is vital, it's so that I can't hold you accountable for the damage you intend to cause.

Experience has taught me that any other scenario is wildly theoretical and never actually occurs in practice. Theory and wishful thinking are fine, but these are the realities I deal in, and they are well informed realities from years of doing business.

I prefer not to provide service to someone who does not trust me, it is better for both of us. No offense meant to anyone. OP should pick one of the services they listed, as they seem comfortable with them.

Sorry I know I said I was gone, was waiting on a slow log grep ;)

@sudoranger Sis? Your point being?

• if you don't trust others, just host ur own.

I think mr @jar really want to help me but his investors won't let him.

I am not trying to hide anything, I can even send you all my IDs.

Just wondering, why does a fake email and phone number changes the game with many services these days.

@mrclown said:
    if you don't trust others, just host ur own.

True, but I have been told of things I need to worry and it is not worth it. As email is like IRC now a days. It is mostly public.

For secure communications use XMPP/OMEMO or Signal or better.

@jar said:
    Edit: Meh, not really worth debate. It's just for conversational sake anyway.

That is my point. People asking for it isn't worth it either.

• sudorangersudoranger Member
    edited January 2019

@cipher said:
    @sudoranger Sis? Your point being?

Sorry, I don't know you. I'm a woman so I assume your gender is the same as mine.

Privacy is funny. People should stay away from the Internet and live in a remote island/jungle if they don't like to expose themselves whatnot using a managed email service.

I ship @jar opinion. If they don't trust you then move on, it's not like there's only 1 fish in the sea.

p/s: The most secure communication is to not communicate at all.

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@sanvit said:
    For any paid option, I believe @jar and @MikePT is your best bet.

@eol said:
    MikeET +1.

Thank you guys!

Both are excellent options! :-)

@MikePT do you allow anonymous sign up for custom domain?

• lukehebblukehebb Member
    edited January 2019

cipher said: Minimum or no personal data for sign up like Mxroute.com needs your phone, alternate email and what not. (We already own a legit domain name so why need or require so much of information, it should just ask for Name, Address for billing if needed). I do not want to give alternate email address at all, also don't ask for phone number or else what is wrong with Gmail?

Please tell me this is a joke?

As someone who works at a web host, the most annoying recurring issue we have is customers using email accounts hosted with us as the contact email address on their account. We suspend service for whatever reason (billing, T&C breach etc) and here come the angry "You didn't tell me!" tickets.

We did. But oh look your email account was also suspended. We regularly tell people to get a gmail address or whatever just to ensure we can always wing an email at them if necessary. This is definitely good practice.

Thanked by 1jar

@lukehebb said:

cipher said: Minimum or no personal data for sign up like Mxroute.com needs your phone, alternate email and what not. (We already own a legit domain name so why need or require so much of information, it should just ask for Name, Address for billing if needed). I do not want to give alternate email address at all, also don't ask for phone number or else what is wrong with Gmail?

Please tell me this is a joke?

As someone who works at a web host, the most annoying recurring issue we have is customers using email accounts hosted with us as the contact email address on their account. We suspend service for whatever reason (billing, T&C breach etc) and here come the angry "You didn't tell me!" tickets.

We did. But oh look your email account was also suspended. We regularly tell people to get a gmail address or whatever just to ensure we can always wing an email at them if necessary. This is definitely good practice.

I never had a gmail and I am using a couple of services that never needed my email address and I am fine with it. I just contact support somehow usually via XMPP or IRC or whatever they offer. I agree that email is a good idea but should it be mandated? Is my question. Esp. when you are signing up for a emailing hosting service only.

• @cipher said:

@mrclown said:
    if you don't trust others, just host ur own.

True, but I have been told of things I need to worry and it is not worth it. As email is like IRC now a days. It is mostly public.

For secure communications use XMPP/OMEMO or Signal or better.

Your privacy worth every penny if you don't trust any 3rd party to even share ur name or number. bcuz they have more deeper insights in reality which is passing data through their servers.. anything could happen for real.

I won't even put my trust on any of those providers who allow almost anonymous customer just bcuz i owned a domain. Balance a bit then you might find ur ideal one.

• cipher said: I just contact support somehow usually via XMPP or IRC or whatever they offer.

This isn't about you contacting them, it's about them contacting you.

• cipher said: Trust? I am signing up my properly registered domain name with them, isn't it enough trust?

No. Spammers register domains all the time.

@sleddog said:

cipher said: Trust? I am signing up my properly registered domain name with them, isn't it enough trust?

Ok. I didn't know. But again the question remains, how would a phone number and email stop it all? :disappointed:

• @cipher said:

@sleddog said:

cipher said: Trust? I am signing up my properly registered domain name with them, isn't it enough trust?

Ok. I didn't know. But again the question remains, how would a phone number and email stop it all? :disappointed:

By itself, it won't. But each piece of genuine personal information that you provide to an online company makes it a bit easier for them to distinguish you (an honest customer) from the horde of abusers out there.

Thanked by 1jar
  • ac·count·a·bil·i·ty
    /əˌkoun(t)əˈbilədē/Submit
    noun
    the fact or condition of being accountable; responsibility.
    "their lack of accountability has corroded public respect"
    synonyms:   responsibility, liability, answerability

If you're so subversive as to not even attempt to provide what is generally used for most contracts, then just host it yourself. Nobody wants to chance your magical mystery person destroying their business for that almighty $0.02/day.

@sleddog said:

@cipher said:

@sleddog said:

By itself, it won't. But each piece of genuine personal information that you provide to an online company makes it a bit easier for them to distinguish you (an honest customer) from the horde of abusers out there.

I follow from provider's side. It seems legit.

Thanked by 1sleddog

@Letzien said:

ac·count·a·bil·i·ty
    noun
    synonyms: responsibility, liability, answerability

If you're so subversive as to not even attempt to provide what is generally used for most contracts, then just host it yourself. Nobody wants to chance your magical mystery person destroying their business for that almighty $0.02/day.

Yes. Understood. But there are other managed services that offer what I need already. Hence considering them too.

• @cipher said:

@Letzien said:

ac·count·a·bil·i·ty
    noun
    synonyms:   responsibility, liability, answerability

Yes. Understood. But there are other managed services that offer what I need already. Hence considering them too.

Do share who you end up with so I can add them to my non-CC blocklist preemptively. :)

• Letzien said: Do share who you end up with so I can add them to my non-CC blocklist preemptively.

There is no evidence that the OP is planning anything illegal, nefarious or untoward. He is concerned about online privacy. That's legit.

• @sleddog said:

Letzien said: Do share who you end up with so I can add them to my non-CC blocklist preemptively.

There is no evidence that the OP is planning anything illegal, nefarious or untoward. He is concerned about online privacy. That's legit.

I'm not directly suggesting he is, but if his MX provider doesn't care about their clientele, I probably don't want their traffic.

• Letzien said: I'm not directly suggesting he is, but if his MX provider doesn't care about their clientele, I probably don't want their traffic.

Fair point :)

• mfsmfs Banned, Member
    edited January 2019

Turning e-mail into a privacy conscious service is like turning Elton John in a duck. He can cover himself with feathers and start quacking, still he's not going the be duck he always wanted to be

I don't think all your recipients are anonymously logging in to their offshore email hosting using custom domains they bought via proxies like njal.la (btw, you'll always have to trust at least someone and someone shall have some sound personal data of your persona and/or of your business)
    Chances are your recipients are using GSuite/gmail/outlook/yahoo/yandex. "Perfect ecosystems" like protonmail and tutanota cease to be perfect as soon as not every recipient of yours is using the same service. You're not realistically going to use e.g. protonmail's encryption for non-protonmail recipients or tutanota's special links for non-tutanota recipients as much as you're not realistically going to use GnuPG in the wild or teabag your colleagues just for the sake of it. Convenience always wins

You mention lavabit: even the lavabit developers, once they've re-spawned their services, tried to come up with a new protocol; the problem is always interoperability.

If you have some privacy-conscious peer to privacy-consciously contact, the most straightforward approach would start with picking a tool suited for that job. There's plenty of privacy-conscious apps not necessarily requiring your personal data that aren't email

The most you can get (in the "privacy field") from a managed e-mail service is the assurance your data won't be sold to third parties or inspected for ad purposes or archived without your consent (unless it's a legal requirement), still you'll always have to trust that someone who's juggling data and metadata on your behalf.
    Mailbox.org strives to encrypt all your unencrypted incoming e-mail using your OpenPGP keys, that's probably the most you can get.

cipher said: I just contact support somehow usually via XMPP or IRC

ticket handling via IRC, sounds so convenient

Thanked by 2uptime bingox