Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any good managed email hosting for own domain name?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any good managed email hosting for own domain name?

subjugatingsubjugating Banned, Member

Why this post? Because I got a reply from multiple sources to the question below.

Do you think it is worth it to host your own your email server for friends / family / oneself? It would usually cost about 130 USD / year to host one (it is the cost of KVM VPS with 2G RAM + domain name) that too without any backup servers?

Requirements

1. Privacy-oriented
  2. Minimum or no personal data for sign up like Mxroute.com needs your phone, alternate email and what not. (We already own a legit domain name so why need or require so much of information, it should just ask for Name, Address for billing if needed). I do not want to give alternate email address at all, also don't ask for phone number or else what is wrong with Gmail?
  3. Bitcoin payment as option along with Paypal and Stripe (not a big deal these days)
  4. Reasonable support via ticketing system or similar.

What did I find so far?

PRQ.se - 1G storage | 94 SEK / month or ~10.5 USD / month | Unlimited domains + accounts |

Mailbox.org | 2G storage | 1 EUR / month for single account with custom domain | Team account cost more |

Lavabit.com | 5G storage | 30 USD / year | I think it is a single account only |

Protonmail | 5G storage | 48 EUR / year | Single account

--
I need your help. Much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• eoleol Member

@cipher said:
    Why this post?

Why not?

• @cipher said:
    1. Privacy-oriented
    2. Minimum or no personal data for sign up like Mxroute.com needs your phone, alternate email and what not. (We already own a legit domain name so why need or require so much of information, it should just ask for Name, Address for billing if needed). I do not want to give alternate email address at all, also don't ask for phone number or else what is wrong with Gmail?
    3. Bitcoin payment as option along with Paypal and Stripe (not a big deal these days)
    4. Reasonable support via ticketing system or similar.

Nobody is going to want your business. If you can't trust them, they can't trust you.

• subjugatingsubjugating Banned, Member
    edited January 2019

@Letzien said:
    Nobody is going to want your business. If you can't trust them, they can't trust you.

Trust? I am signing up my properly registered domain name with them, isn't it enough trust? They will be asking me to make numerous changes in DNS. Isn't that enough?

Also, mailbox.org, PRQ, Lavabit (no BTC payment as of now) and Protonmail already offering the same.

• @cipher said:

@Letzien said:

Trust? I am signing up my properly registered domain name with them, isn't it enough trust? They will be asking me to make numerous changes in DNS. Isn't that enough?

Holy shit you have to setup a single MX record that you directly control and can change as quickly as you have set the TTL! Someone call the press!

• If you don't trust the provider for your personal information, why trust the provider for your own personal emails itself? You should be better off with selfhosted options.

Thanked by 1Letzien
  • For any paid option, I believe @jar and @MikePT is your best bet.

Thanked by 2MikePT Wolveix
  • eoleol Member

MikeET +1.

Thanked by 2MikePT elliotc
  • I use tutanota. However, the plan that I’m on is limited to 5 aliases.

They don’t ask for phone number or alternate email like others (optional). Most probably some providers do that for account recovery. Tutanota is using code recovery if you lost that code there’s no way to recover your account. They just published their Windows & Linux app last Christmas.

• I was actually looking into providing something similar and even asked for feedback here. It was not well received, but I host it for myself and a few others.

One has already forgotten his password and lost his encrypted emails/files and another one had his server deleted (no payment reminder, didn't notice it was down). Is that what you want?

@sudoranger said:
    I use tutanota. However, the plan that I’m on is limited to 5 aliases.

They don’t ask for phone number or alternate email like others (optional). Most probably some providers do that for account recovery. Tutanota is using code recovery if you lost that code there’s no way to recover your account. They just published their Windows & Linux app last Christmas.

I think it is a good option along with Malibox.org.

@eol said:
    MikeET +1.

@jar does MXroute.com

Which service is for @MikET ?

Thanked by 1MikePT

@gol3m I would consider if you share a link please.

• eoleol Member

@cipher said:

@eol said:
    MikeET +1.

@jar does MXroute.com

iroute.io

Thanked by 1MikePT
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

Not worth it.

@eol said:

@cipher said:

@eol said:
    MikeET +1.

@jar does MXroute.com

iroute.io

Did you read my requirements? They asking for phone number + email and what not bro. Why did you mention it?

@deank said:
    Not worth it.

What is not worth it?

• eoleol Member

@cipher said:

@eol said:

@cipher said:

@eol said:
    MikeET +1.

@jar does MXroute.com

iroute.io

Did you read my requirements? They asking for phone number + email and what not bro. Why did you mention it?

OMG!
    They ask for email!
    phones CNN

• deankdeank Member, Troll

CNN will put you on hold for 666 minutes.

Well, maybe not 666 minutes, but do expect to be on hold for around 40 minutes.

Thanked by 1eol

Lol. :wink:

Thanked by 1eol
  • Just as long as it takes to backtrace your IP.

• @cipher said:

@eol said:

@cipher said:

@eol said:
    MikeET +1.

@jar does MXroute.com

iroute.io

Because you asked bro. Omg.

cipher said: Which service is for @MikET ?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited January 2019

cipher said: isn't it enough trust?

15 minutes with 15 IPs could cost someone hundreds of dollars and hours of pain and suffering. The only people who think that's enough trust are the ones at the bottom of the barrel so desperate for scraps that they'll do anything for $5 or major corporations like Google/Microsoft that can afford to take the hits by having oversized / heavily whitelisted infrastructure. I wish you the best of luck, that's just how it works.

Thanked by 1Letzien
  • @jar said:
    15 minutes with 15 IPs could cost someone hundreds of dollars and hours of pain and suffering. The only people who think that's enough trust are the ones at the bottom of the barrel so desperate for scraps that they'll do anything for $5.

As a service provider I am appalled - appalled that you might care about both your clients, and your own welfare.

Thanked by 2jar Wolveix

@jar said:

cipher said: isn't it enough trust?

15 minutes with 15 IPs could cost someone hundreds of dollars and hours of pain and suffering. The only people who think that's enough trust are the ones at the bottom of the barrel so desperate for scraps that they'll do anything for $5 or major corporations like Google/Microsoft that can afford to take the hits by having oversized / heavily whitelisted infrastructure. I wish you the best of luck, that's just how it works.

That is why you ask for a paid and registered domain name and not a freenom domain like .tk, do you not think a person doing things with it, will end up paying for it?

Also, what is it that you gain from a phone number and alternate email? Anyone can get it in dozens without a valid ID.

edited January 2019

Edit: Meh, not really worth debate. It's just for conversational sake anyway.

• how about you ? did you give fake email & phone number too ?

jar said: because they didn't get an email with their account information because super shady guy on LET didn't like it.

The way you think is totally shady and super fishy.

So, if I say I want to use Tor to access your mxroute.com, I must be a NSA-certified data terrorist and FBI-certified CP lover?

US Military made Tor for being CP lovers and then shared it with others for wide-spread use of it? Correct?

You are totally mistaken. There even exist services today that do not need any personal data and offer email hosting with custom domain. It is not a new thing.

Thanks for your response. Much appreciated. I love everything else about your service though. Loads of luck.

@kassle said:
    how about you ? did you give fake email & phone number too ?

Good point.

• You are going to give away your email or credit card number anyway for your payments.

edited January 2019

cipher said: The way you think is totally shady and super fishy.

I'm sorry you feel that way, and I hope one day you run an internet service with a shared environment that requires trust to function at a reasonable quality. You'll learn what it's like to be taken advantage of and never sleep, or you'll be under someone's thumb because you got investors and hired people to do it for you. Either way, you learn. I'm not here to beg for $5, just sharing some realities. I'm out :)