Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Prometeus needs beta testers for the Cloud ! - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Prometeus needs beta testers for the Cloud !

2»

Comments

• @Maounique said:
    Hello !

Thanks for the feedback :)
    Emailing the password poses a security risk. many people complained here before because of that. Maybe an option could be given later when we make own panel.

You could make it more secure by just allowing to post a public key into the Admin panel.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2013

I thought of that, but I think very few people would use it and they will probably like to install from (own) ISO.

Templates are for newbies or people in a hurry, none of them are likely to use the key option.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

@Maounique - for web based VNC purposes consider using HTML5 one (like HostVirtual use) or Silverlight (it's more secure than Java)

It's actually javascript, but there is no choice right now, we are only deploying it, actual changes will be done later as well as tweaks based on feed-back while even later will probably do some custom panel using the API.

But will still have to use the internal ajax console, the required modifications would be too extensive to be sure we dont introduce more bugs.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

During testing, how much resource can we use? I tried to create a 2GB ram, 100GB disk but did not work. When I did a 512mb ram 20gb disk, its okay =)

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2013

@jcaleb said:
    During testing, how much resource can we use? I tried to create a 2GB ram, 100GB disk but did not work. When I did a 512mb ram 20gb disk, its okay =)

I will look at this. For this test I started with 3 servers (total 384GB of ram and 6 x E5-2620) and 4.5TB of SAN storage. Later I will add 2 more servers and more SAN storage as I want to test the addition of nodes and storage while the cluster is running :-)

@Jack said:
    Nooo... I don't like Cloudstack maybe due to being so used to Solus though, Not 100% sure just seems buggy to me.

cloudstack isnt the UI, but the core and this:
    http://cloudstack.apache.org/docs/api/apidocs-4.1/TOC_Root_Admin.html

Every aspect of CS can be controlled by API, actually all features are developed with an API and eventually implemented in the UI (which is like a POC).

:-)

Edit: BTW lot of this flexibility will be available to the users also:
    http://cloudstack.apache.org/docs/api/apidocs-4.1/TOC_User.html

one just need to create own api keys and use any of the available language API bindings to do everything you can do with the UI.

For example you can create a template from any of your VM, then you can create / run / destroy the specialized VM from a monitoring vps, your own panel, some webhooks etc.

• pcanpcan Member

@jcaleb said: I tried to create a 2GB ram, 100GB disk but did not work. When I did a 512mb ram 20gb disk, its okay =)

Try expanding to 2 GB RAM after the creation. This worked for me; I was also unable to create a 2 GB RAM instance directly. I found and reported other control panel quirks, but the VPS service itself is extremely good, as expected. The dd test result is lower than a typical direct-attach SAS controller, but very good for a SAN backed storage. Snapshot operations are a bit slow (not a real issue).

I wonder if @prometeus will test the HA feature soon. It is a very nice component of this cloud service.

I expressed to @prometeus my personal opinion about the user interface (won't repeat here because I don't want to spoil anyone). It surely is a lot different from most well-known VPS control panels. It would be interesting to hear the opinion of more people.

@jcaleb said:

2GB computing instance are now usable. Typo in the config.

@pcan said:
    I wonder if @prometeus will test the HA feature soon. It is a very nice component of this cloud service.

Later I'll simulate host failure and host maintenance. However HA is already enabled on the BASIC computing instances, so if you try to poweroff any VM from the OS i.e. executing
    shutdown -P now

you will see that your VM will be restarted again. If you want to poweroff you need to do from the interface or with an API request :-)

• I applied, thanks uncle

I'm very like CloudStack Firewall, easy to configured, so I don't need to install CSF on my VPS :)

@sentarum said:
    I applied, thanks uncle

I'm very like CloudStack Firewall, easy to configured, so I don't need to install CSF on my VPS :)

Please note it only works for IPv4. IPv6 is still wide open.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

Thanks @prometeus and @pcan

I thought it is not possible to expand KVM based vps =)

Maybe we can set dates when to simulate failure. it would be nice to be a part of seeing your instance recover or not get affected =)

• @Maounique said:
    Then open a ticket :)

unfortunately i'm not a customer at the moment. I assume you have to be one.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

The panel is easy to use

• @Maounique said:
    Hello !

Thanks for the feedback :)
    Emailing the password poses a security risk. many people complained here before because of that. Maybe an option could be given later when we make own panel.
    I will update the tutorial on how to get the IP without logging in the console (EDIT: done).
    If you change the password manually, it will be changed back at the next restart, you need to do chkconfig cloud-set-guest-password off in order to preserve it, but then changing from UI will no longer work.

It is very different from Solus, maybe this is why it is confusing, maybe you remember solus wasnt that easy at first too :)

I was thinking to do a debian 6 template, will certainly consider it when I get more requests for other OSes too.

This is a bit confusing. Cloudstack sends out password in email to their login panel so why cant anyone receive the default password to a newly created vm on email? Besides i am sure most people change their default root password on a new vps.

same goes to solus, u receive solus login via email isnt it. Im not sure why people is complaining about this.

I am not sure either, however, you have to send password somehow, at least the initial one, otherwise you wont be able to login, opening a ticket to request it or requesting a change of password will still involve email...

This sounds like the chicken and the egg issue.

To come back at the issue at hand, people use cloud services for fast instances creation, wont really like to go to email and see what the root pass is each time they create one.

• I applied and never got a reply to my ticket

• M, I want to use IPv6 tunnelling from HE, but due to the firewall, it said that tunnelbroker can't ping the cloud IP.

Which port should I open? ICMP or TCP?

edited July 2013

@Dragoon0309 said:
    I applied and never got a reply to my ticket

We dont always reply to tickets, but provision directly. Please PM your ticket number.

Nevermind, I found it, provisining from HostBill is not possible yet, there were some problems at setting up things. From HostBill we will provision fixed instances without direct UI access, so, please open a WHMCS ticket for that full experience (on the prometeus.net panel)

@ErawanArifNugroho said:
    M, I want to use IPv6 tunnelling from HE, but due to the firewall, it said that tunnelbroker can't ping the cloud IP.

The VMs have native IPv6 from us, but I suppose if you need it, you will have to allow ICMP, at least for regular ping. I am not sure what other ICMP HE might be using, but it is possible to use others.

Thanked by 1Dragoon0309
  • I want to add several IPv6 for testing an application :)
    I have openned the ICMP 0,8,41,7 in the ingress and exgress, but still not working.

edited July 2013

on egress you should not need to open anything.

Just open all ICMP to be sure, if it works, begin closing until you no longer can connect.

The VMs have an /112 IPv6 assigned to every IPv4 so that should be enough.

In order to find the /112 allocated, please use this script:

http://prometeus.net/returnipv6.php?IP=194.68.40.104

That IP is the one in the example I used in the guide, change it with yours.

• Is the "domain" field in the login really necessary?

@zhuanyi said:
    Is the "domain" field in the login really necessary?

Yes, accounts (and users) are created with a dedicated domain. :-)

• bobbybobby Member

@ErawanArifNugroho said:
    M, I want to use IPv6 tunnelling from HE, but due to the firewall, it said that tunnelbroker can't ping the cloud IP.

Adding a HE tunnel worked fine here.
    Add to the 4 fields: ICMP, 8, 0, 0.0.0.0/0 to a new ingress rule

Thanked by 1ErawanArifNugroho
  • AsimAsim Member

Interesting

Thank you all that enrolled so far.

The slots for the full CloudStack experience have been filled, more or less, now we started provisioning for our Iperweb LTD customers, where all administration will be done through HostBill.

Please take a look here for a few highlights:

http://board.prometeus.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1182&p=1674

You can still apply from the Iperweb panel, by opening a ticket.
    http://my.iperweb.com

Requirements are less strict than before, it is enough to have a service with us for a month or more, instead of 6 or more before.

HB controlled instances do not have direct access at CloudStack UI, therefore should be more safe.

• tuxtux Member

@gbshouse said:
    Silverlight (it's more secure than Java)

Sorry, this is for Windows only.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

@tux - you can run Silverlight on Linux and MacOS too