Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HiFormance scum is back with... - Page 6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HiFormance scum is back with...

Comments

• deankdeank Member, Troll

Damn, must I register lowendtalk.ca ?

• If you combine @teamacc WP version and theme data with where each site is hosted 8 at Linode all the same theme 7 of them same theme and wp version.

• @dahartigan said:

Edit11: so it looks like opendns runs phish tank which have actually got leb marked as a phishing site.. Lol.

LEB has been hacked.

If you check the Phishtank report at https://www.phishtank.com/phish_detail.php?phish_id=5880251 you will understand why I say that

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited January 2019

@Razza said:
    If you combine @teamacc WP version and theme data with where each site is hosted 8 at Linode all the same theme 7 of them same theme and wp version.

... I don't think I'd trust a host that doesn't even use their own services to host their site. If they can't even trust themselves, why should anyone else trust them?

This smells a lot like a host getting a powerful server on a fast network for their own site (so people think that their services are fast), and then their actual products are on a poor oversold overloaded network.

Why do so many of them use Linode?

• @Daniel15 said:

Why do so many of them use Linode?

Plot-twist.

ColoCrossing is in reality owned by Linode.

Thanked by 1t0m
  • MasonRMasonR Community Contributor
    edited January 2019

@Daniel15 said:
    ... I don't think I'd trust a host that doesn't even use their own services to host their site. If they can't even trust themselves, why should anyone else trust them?

I think it's common practice to not put all your eggs in one basket should shit hit the fan. If your infra network is down, you'll want access to your site and status pages so you can alert your clients. Not all hosts do this, but it is a decent way to avoid a SPOF taking down everything.

Edit: additionally, not all hosts have DDoS protected setups. Hosting providers naturally attract a lot of DoS attacks. From what I've seen, ColoCrossing doesn't have the largest capacity for handling DDoS attacks (I think Chicago has decent protection, but Buffalo and elsewhere is minimal)

Thanked by 1MrPsycho
  • Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited January 2019

MasonR said: I think it's common practice to not put all your eggs in one basket should shit hit the fan. If your infra network is down, you'll want access to your site and status pages so you can alert your clients.

Sure... Status page and DNS on a separate network is understandable. Maybe a fallback site in case their main one goes down, maybe using Cloudflare for DDoS protection + quicker failover (as you'd avoid needing to wait for DNS propagation if you just change the IP at Cloudflare's end). A backup site in a second data center (for hosts that have multiple DCs) makes sense.

But their entire website on another provider's network? I don't see that a lot. buyvm.net is in a BuyVM IP range, linode.com is in a Linode IP range.

• solairesolaire Member
    edited January 2019

They probably just want clean IP's to host their homepages. ColoCrossing has very few of those left.

-edit-

Can't wait!

Thanked by 2eol bugrakoc
  • codedivinecodedivine Member
    edited January 2019

@Rhys said:

@dahartigan said:

I know Virmach are reputable around here although I haven't used them myself, and they have a CC location but who is a trusted host using QN?

CrownCloud & anyNode (Formally Hostigation).

I think @UltraVPS also uses Quadranet for LA. @launchvps used to have some LA stock also I think based on Quadranet.

Thanked by 3UltraVPS Rhys uptime
  • RhysRhys Member, Host Rep

@codedivine said:

@Rhys said:

@dahartigan said:

I know Virmach are reputable around here although I haven't used them myself, and they have a CC location but who is a trusted host using QN?

CrownCloud & anyNode (Formally Hostigation).

I think @UltraVPS also uses Quadranet for LA. @launchvps used to have some LA stock also I think based on Quadranet.

I believe @UltraVPS does and they're pretty good.

Thanked by 1UltraVPS
  • UltraVPSUltraVPS Member, Patron Provider

Thanks for the mention. Yes, we use Quadranet in LA.

Thanked by 1Rhys
  • eoleol Member

Quadranet is CC afaik.

• @eol said:
    Quadranet is CC afaik.

I equate them to about the same even if they aren't directly owned by CC.

Thanked by 2eol 3606202
  • @AuroraZ said:

@eol said:
    Quadranet is CC afaik.

I equate them to about the same even if they aren't directly owned by CC.

For all intents and purposes it's safe to put QN and CC in the same basket, even if there is never an admission that they are the same company.

It's just like by now everyone know wootalphanfp are the same guy.

Thanked by 1eol
  • arhuearhue Member
    edited January 2019

@Daniel15 said:

This smells a lot like a host getting a powerful server on a fast network for their own site (so people think that their services are fast), and then their actual products are on a poor oversold overloaded network.

Could be. But if I were a host I would host my infra at a place other than my own so that any downtime/mess up doesn't take down the main website/status page. Agree that it reflects poorly tho.

• HostEONSHostEONS Member, Patron Provider

I won't host our own website on a third party infrastructure (because if we don't trust our own network for our website how can we expect our clients to trust us) but we do understand like any other network even our own network can go down.

So what we do is:

1) Use DNS of our registrar as name servers for our domain
    2) We use GSuite for emails
    3) We use our own infrastructure for our website, billing, blog etc... It is on same network as our VPS and web hosting servers

We use DNS from third party because it's not worth it to invest a lot of time in managing redundant DNS Servers just for our own website and if in case if anything goes wrong with our network our dns will also go down, if our DNS is up we can at least setup a temporary page elsewhere to keep our clients updated about what's going on.

Same reason for hosting our mail server with GSuite

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

HostEONS said: I won't host our own website on a third party infrastructure (because if we don't trust our own network for our website how can we expect our clients to trust us) but we do understand like any other network even our own network can go down.

Agreed. We used to run our site on a 3rd party host, not because we didn't trust our own network/infra, but just to make sure we were reachable and able to make announcements in the even we DID have a problem.

This was years ago now, but it turned out to be a very bad idea. The host we used (which will remain un-named) was extremely unreliable and our site had numerous and relatively long lasting downtime. It also looked bad to our clients who were checking our network and found we were on a different network. And finally, it confused some people thinking that our services were located elsewhere from what we advertise.

Ultimately we now run our own site on the same network as our clients, but with a bit of extra redundancy for our main server in particular.

Thanked by 1Daniel15
  • h2oh2o Member

JohnMiller92 said: Alpha

@JohnMiller92 said:

@dahartigan said:

I have a AlphaRacks VPS on QN. It's been super stable so far. I've only had it for around a month though

Yep, that's why I asked for a good plan from JJ @alpharacks through their low price guarantee yesterday. :wink:

• @JohnMiller92 said:

@dahartigan said:

I have a AlphaRacks VPS on QN. It's been super stable so far. I've only had it for around a month though

WE say VERY stable, NOT "super" stable when we talk in English. STOP corrupting our language.

Thanked by 1Xenos
  • @asterisk14 said:

WE say VERY stable, NOT "super" stable when we talk in English. STOP corrupting our language.

Good luck with that! Have you had a conversation with a kid that didn't use the word "like" non stop?

• eoleol Member

Good like with your kid.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @asterisk14 said:

@JohnMiller92 said:

@dahartigan said:

Okay, sorry

• HostMediaHostMedia Member, Patron Provider

@Francisco said:
    Seems they've now bought a WHMCS license.

It's a real shame WHMCS doesn't have a wall of shame.

Francisco

I believe once upon a time (going back many many many years) they used to, mostly on their forums as customers used to confirm them.

• dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@eol said:
    Quadranet is CC afaik.

Oh yeah? Your dad and me are the same too!

• eoleol Member

@dustinc said:

@eol said:
    Quadranet is CC afaik.

• @dustinc said:

@eol said:
    Quadranet is CC afaik.

No, his spare chromosome doesn't match yours.

Thanked by 1eol
  • @dustinc said:

@eol said:
    Quadranet is CC afaik.

Did you just tell him you fucked his mom?

Thanked by 2eol imok
  • eoleol Member

@teamacc said:

@dustinc said:

@eol said:
    Quadranet is CC afaik.

Did you just tell him you fucked his mom?

That would explain...

EDIT2:
    Hi, Dad.

• @asterisk14 said:

@JohnMiller92 said:

@dahartigan said:

Some of us English folk even say "strong and stable".

• hostdarehostdare Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2019

eol said: That would explain...

dustin is donating some spoon purchase money in other thread , you can request him directly now

Thanked by 1eol