Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Money Owed - What shall I do? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Money Owed - What shall I do?

2»

Comments

• ATHKATHK Member

@awson said:
    I don't think cPanel wants a conman working for them.

You assume a conman, it's been just over 3 weeks, is he on vacation?

You don't actually know what's happening you are way to quick to judge him

• Interesting, he lives in Skokie, about an hour north of me.

• @zfedora said:
    Interesting, he lives in Skokie, about an hour north of me.

If he's working at cPanel, chances are he's actually in Texas (I don't recall cPanel ever allowing remote work)

• alexanderualexanderu Member
    edited July 2013

He claimed to move to texas.

• Write it off. Never lend money or front any thing unless you can afford to lose it. Lots of people are hurting right now.

So unless you are very good friends and very comfortable doing that let it go.

Thanked by 2Jacob threz
  • Last resort would be contacting cpanel management. Although they have nothing to do with this. Atleast they (the management) will know that this guy scams for $300, how much more can he scam/steal off of cpanel. Let him have a hard time w his job. BOL, he might even be fired because cpanel might not tolerate this.

• threzthrez Member
    edited July 2013

I think people are way too quick to judgement on this. How do we know it's a scam? We're only hearing one side of the story here.

The police won't get involved since the OP gave the money to the person. There is no theft involved here.

Secondly, we have absolutely no idea what the contract terms are. Did the OP and the person agree to the timeline? Did the OP make assumptions as to when the money would be paid back? What were the terms of the agreement regarding late repayment?

We know absolutely nothing about the situation except for that the OP is mad and feels he is owed $300 and it's late. What if the OP has a grudge against this person for whatever reason?

Honestly, I think outing the name was a pretty dick move. This is a personal disagreement between two people and has nothing to do with LET or cPanel. Violating their privacy and posting their personal information, while saying these (potentially untrue) negative things about the person is probably much closer to a crime than what the OP is describing and some of the other posters seem to think.

Trying to get his employer involved will not lead anywhere, and honestly probably just make you look bad while they laugh at you. Why would they get involved in such a minor (I mean, $300?) personal squabble?

Edit: I'm a little sickened that there are hosts in this thread that are actually supportive of revealing someone's personal info in this way online, and actually encouraging harassing them. How could I ever trust my personal info to someone like that?

• TsumeTsume Member
    edited July 2013

If you sent it through paypal, just put in a dispute, if he has the money, they'll give it back to you, albeit it'll take over a month, maybe, but in the process, his account will be locked. If he doesn't have the money, then you know it was probably out of his control. As the saying goes, shit happens.

• If you can let such amount of money go then let it go. Contacting the company he works for might be a way, but is it wise to (possibly) destroy someone's life just because of money?

I'm not against you taking back your property, it's your rights anyway. At least try methods that would not make this issue bigger and more complicated than it should be.

• AbdussamadAbdussamad Member
    edited July 2013

@threz said:
    The police won't get involved since the OP gave the money to the person. There is no theft involved here.

The police might not get involved but not for that reason. People voluntarily hand over money to con men all the time. Doesn't make it any less of a fraud.

• prae5prae5 Member

I'd suggest this thread be closed.

You don't have the other sides version of things or any way to substantiate if money was lent / owed. Naming and shaming in this instance is a little over the top imho, especially as they are not part of the community.

Whilst unlikely, its entirely possible the the op has an axed to grind over something else and is using this to cause issues for the other guy.

Persons name, linkedin, employer, etc... should be removed - pretty out of order.

Thanked by 1threz
  • ztecztec Member

Can't you just call him and tell him that you see no other way but to contact his boss if he doesn't pay? It doesn't really look like you're giving him a lot of choices...

• threzthrez Member

@Abdussamad said:
    The police might not get involved but not for that reason. People voluntarily hand over money to con men all the time. Doesn't make it any less of a fraud.

Where is the fraud? The OP gave the money away, and it was used for its intended purpose. The only issue here is the repayment schedule.

Do the police investigate when you don't pay your bills? How is this any different?

Thanked by 1zfedora
  • mpkossenmpkossen Member
    edited July 2013

Seems like there was enough advice given to the OP. So let's leave it at this and hopefully have them settle it in private.

This discussion has been closed.