Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need to figure out the balance between my cpu and ram (I need 320gb ram)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need to figure out the balance between my cpu and ram (I need 320gb ram)

xxlxxxlx Member

Im using an i7-4790k with 32gb ram. Im using 55% of the cpu, and 100% of the ram. So if this is the case, what kind of cpu would balance my use of cpu and ram with 320gb or similar?

Comments

• eoleol Member

• @eol said:

Lol

Thanked by 1eol
  • pentium IV

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited January 2019

Not sure what you are trying to say but i7 can't have 320g ram. You need to move to Xeon for that amount.

666GB RAM will solve everything though. That I Know for sure.

• @deank said:
    Not sure what you are trying to say but i7 can't have 320g ram. You need to move to Xeon for that amount.

Yea, Im asking what kind of cpu goes well with 320gb ram

edited January 2019

Well, google around. Look for old E5-xxxx v3 which is Haswell in desktop.

Know that you won't get the high single core performance but get more cores unless you go for E3 which isn't often found in servers.

666 is still the best answer. 666.

• @deank said:
    Well, google around. Look for old E5-xxxx v3 which is Haswell in desktop.

Know that you won't get the high single core performance but get more cores unless you go for E3 which isn't often found in servers.

666 is still the best answer. 666.

https://www.online.net/en/server-dedicated/core-5-m

What about the Epyc listed here?

Do you know any more deals for servers with 200+gb ram under $200?

Don't kid yourself at that budget with the latest hardware. You look for old rags.

• @deank said:
    Don't kid yourself at that budget with the latest hardware. You look for old rags.

kind of hard for me to find them paired with large amounts of ram.

Normally, people don't need that much ram. It's either badly coded programs or a bad policy of throwing money at problems and hoping it'd stick.

You need to prepare paying for it if you really want it.

• Thats funny. My program is getting errors when I use less ram so I decided fuck it, ill just buy more.

Its using 50% more than it should, but these costs dont effect me much. Im sick of fixing problems.

For that much RAM, you need a really high-end motherboard to go for it.

Ask around for custom setup with older CPU. Some hosts might have it lying around in dust.

• Da fuq? I have never seen a program that needs that much ram. I could run the entire server in a ram disk on 320 GB ram.

No matter what you do that is going to be insanely priced. Fix the damned program and quit wasting shit.

• Heymman has a server with 512GB RAM https://heymman.com/servers.html

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

May as well buy older model servers and colo them. Getting a 256GB-384GB RAM server is going to be pretty high recurring. You can find older model dual E5-2000 (16-20 core) series CPU servers with 256GB RAM for like $1200 on eBay in the US. Find one with a motherboard that supports 384GB.

• eoleol Member

Instead of increasing the RAM, downgrading the CPU seems to be the smarter thing to do and also cheaper.

• eoleol Member

@eol said:

This.

• @imok said:
    Heymman has a server with 512GB RAM https://heymman.com/servers.html

thats pretty good, but there is no way I can use 500gb ram with only 4 e7's

• @MikeA said:
    May as well buy older model servers and colo them. Getting a 256GB-384GB RAM server is going to be pretty high recurring. You can find older model dual E5-2000 (16-20 core) series CPU servers with 256GB RAM for like $1200 on eBay in the US. Find one with a motherboard that supports 384GB.

Interesting, I kind of feel like renting a server though. Ill be travelling a lot in the future and may not be able to maintain a server, would have to ask my brother or friends to fix things for me when Im gone.

• @AuroraZ said:
    Da fuq? I have never seen a program that needs that much ram. I could run the entire server in a ram disk on 320 GB ram.

No matter what you do that is going to be insanely priced. Fix the damned program and quit wasting shit.

the more it uses, the more money it will make

• eoleol Member

Is RAM speed crucial?

Thanked by 1Letzien

Of course with turbo on.

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited January 2019

It's a bit old school, but consider the Ohaus triple-beam balance.

EDIT2: Sort of clunky, but it gets the job done.

Thanked by 1eol
  • eol said: Is RAM speed crucial?

>

No, I dont think it matters much at all

• Learn how to use resources responsibly. We went to the moon with 64k, granted it was just the loader- but still.

Thanked by 1imok
  • eoleol Member

@xxlx said:

eol said: Is RAM speed crucial?

>

No, I dont think it matters much at all

Then use a couple of SSDs for RAM.

Thanked by 1uptime
  • @eol said:
    Then use a couple of SSDs for RAM.

Goddamn, you ARE a client.

Thanked by 3uptime eol TimboJones
  • Then use a couple of SSDs for RAM.

Not a bad idea, I was just thinking about that. Ill try it soon, I just dont want to freeze the whole server right now, that would be really bad.

@Letzien said:
    Learn how to use resources responsibly. We went to the moon with 64k, granted it was just the loader- but still.

Hah, that's a pretty good one. I will re-use that line one day on LET.

• eoleol Member

LOL.
    We never were on the moon.

Thanked by 2uptime Letzien