Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Money Owed - What shall I do?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Money Owed - What shall I do?

I lent this guy $300 and he PROMISED to pay me back on June 18th. Until now, he has still not paid me back. What shall I do?

Comments

• Small claims court? Sue him? Collections agency? What was the money for? Was there a legally enforceable contract involved?

• @Magiobiwan said:
    Small claims court? Sue him? Collections agency? What was the money for? Was there a legally enforceable contract involved?

I live in another country. He was using it to pay off his "moving costs" in texas to work in cPanel (I think it's texas)

I am honestly PISSED with him.

• threzthrez Member

I think you should write it off, and take it as a lesson learned.

You're not getting the money back.

• awsonawson Member

Who was he?

• Is it OK for me to reveal his name? Also Shroom?

• awsonawson Member
    edited July 2013

@alexanderu said:
    Is it OK for me to reveal his name? Also Shroom?

If you're okay with revealing it, I don't see why it wouldn't be okay.

• Why did you loan him money?

• @Deathstarr said:
    Why did you loan him money?

Well, I bought a company off him, and he needed money for moving expenses. Soo.... Yea

• @alexanderu said:
    Well, I bought a company off him, and he needed money for moving expenses. Soo.... Yea

If you bought something from him then that's completely different from what you are claiming

• HassanHassan Member, Patron Provider

@zfedora said:
    If you bought something from him then that's completely different from what you are claiming

Well he bought something off the guy, then the guy asked for an additional $300 that would be paid back at a certain date.

• @Hassan said:
    Well he bought something off the guy, then the guy asked for an additional $300 that would be paid back at a certain date.

Correct :)

• DerekDerek Member

Looks like you were scammed. :/

• well, any ideas on how to get my money back?

• HassanHassan Member, Patron Provider

@alexanderu said:
    well, any ideas on how to get my money back?

How did you pay him?

• @alexanderu said:

If it was over paypal and its been less than 30 days you can contact them and hopefully get your money back.

• nunimnunim Member

Can I borrow $300 with no interest? I'll pay you back..

• I'm submitting an IC3 complaint. It can be classified as "scamming":

• @alexanderu said:
    What shall I do?

Learn from the experience?

• PaulPaul Member

@alexanderu said:

...give a coin to any man from Texas, and say these words to him--valar morghulis. Then mention the name of that person who owed you money...*(GoT)

Seriously though, if he's in the US, you can get the law behind you to help with it. Just remember to save the chatlogs, emails, and other evidence to support that he indeed borrowed money and promised to pay you back on a certain date, and failed to do so.

If he's in another country though, you can charge that to experience, or else you can call him and say:

"I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for more money, I can tell you I don't have any more. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you return my 300 bucks now, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you."

:)

• @Paul said:

• alexanderualexanderu Member
    edited July 2013

Name: -snipped-. He works at cPanel and his email is [email protected]

• MrObviousMrObvious Member
    edited July 2013

-snipped-

• This is getting interesting!

• is that wolverine?

• awsonawson Member

Call them up and tell them about it.

https://cpanel.net/contact/

cPanel, Inc

3131 W. Alabama, Box #30

Houston, TX 77098

United States of America

Tel: +1.713.529.0800

Fax: +1.713.529.0807

• ATHKATHK Member
    edited July 2013

@awson said:
    Call them up and tell them about it.

It's not really cPanels concern, it's personal nothing to do with the business, however if the police show up on the office door step they may not be happy with Mr John Doe

• awsonawson Member
    edited July 2013

@ATHK said:
    It's not really cPanels concern, it's personal nothing to do with the business, however if the police show up on the office door step they may not be happy with Mr Johny Doe

I don't think cPanel wants a conman working for them.

• He was a boy scout! Shame on him :P

This discussion has been closed.