Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking to review VPS servers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking to review VPS servers

Hey Guys,

I am looking to get a few vps providers to give a vps of your choice, Just so I can test them and right a review of them on my new blog. I need some startup content which is why I am looking for a few sponsored vps's. I will not put them in production, I will not host anything on them. I only need a few hours with it just to play around with it.

I plan on running a few things on it.
Connection speed inbound
Benchmark
Disk I/O testing
ioping test

Let me know if your interested or give me an email that I can use to contect you at.

Comments

• You can't convince many providers to provide you a VPS for a few hours, just my personal feeling.

• What's the purpose of this blog? Aren't there enough already?

• I picked up a domain name and its about VPS's I just thought it would be nice just to test providers. Not looking to make money or just having something to do with some spare time.

Each blog is unique and mine is as well. I just like the idea. If you do not want to join in that is fine, Sooner or later I will start picking up servers at low cost monthly rates and testing them on my own. I am just seeing if anyone wants to be the first one I test.

• patpat Member

@Deathstarr said:
    Each blog is unique and mine is as well.

Every blog is not unique. Only successful and high-traffic blogs are unique. If I want to know performance comparisons of a few VPS I would go to a site like http://serverbear.com/ not some random blog.

Just my 2 cents.

• @pat thanks, and I can see how what i said can be taken a different way. I do like serverbear, but I wanted to do something on my own.

• patpat Member

@Deathstarr said:
    pat thanks, and I can see how what i said can be taken a different way. I do like serverbear, but I wanted to do something on my own.

If it satisfies your passions and personal interests, go for it. If your goal is to get a popular blog then pick another topic.

• Oh, yes this is just a hobby personal interest. But I figured if I am going to do it to compare server why not post about it. I mean I could make a forum to post them on but I think just for me a blog/website would be better.

• patpat Member

@Deathstarr said:
    I mean I could make a forum to post them on but I think just for me a blog/website would be better.

A notebook or excel spreadsheet might work best.

• @Deathstarr said:
    Hey Guys,

I am looking to get a few vps providers to give a vps of your choice, Just so I can test them and right a review of them on my new blog. I need some startup content which is why I am looking for a few sponsored vps's. I will not put them in production, I will not host anything on them. I only need a few hours with it just to play around with it.

I plan on running a few things on it.
    Connection speed inbound
    Benchmark
    Disk I/O testing
    ioping test

Let me know if your interested or give me an email that I can use to contect you at.

Don't you think the reviews will not be accurate? Knowing that you are going to write about the provider, the VPS provider will probably provide you an account on their newest and latest machine, which will have the best stats. However, in reality, the provider may end up overselling and customers will fight for resources.

If you can add more value rather than standard connection sppeed, benchmark etc will be beneficial.

Just my thought.

• We will see what happens thanks!

• @plunberg didnt get your message til now.

As its just starting off I will do some research on my own, As far as testing goes it will be limited in the beginning but will be better as time goes on. As I said before this is just for starting off. Soon I will start buying LEBs and testing them on my own.

• @sundaymouse said:
    You can't convince many providers to provide you a VPS for a few hours, just my personal feeling.

Yeah unfortunately abuse is a major problem...

• @concerto49 said:
    Yeah unfortunately abuse is a major problem...

I can agree to that, and I can understand if you do not want to due to spam. But for me, anything I do will not run over a few hundred mb of ram and 2-3 gigs space.

• patpat Member

@Deathstarr said:
    I can agree to that, and I can understand if you do not want to due to spam. But for me, anything I do will not run over a few hundred mb of ram and 2-3 gigs space.

Regardless, unless your site is hella popular the risk of illegal / spam activity far outweighs any marketing advantage. However, if you are so incredibly passionate about performing these tests you shouldn't have much of a problem paying a few bucks to play around :-).

• @Pat I did one review already from a company and you can ask them, I didn't abuse the network or server or even install anything really.

• patpat Member

@Deathstarr said:
    Pat I did one review already from a company and you can ask them, I didn't abuse the network or server or even install anything really.

Unless you have authority in the industry it doesn't really make a difference what one provider says. Just my thoughts.

• @pat I have to start somewhere.

• XTREMEXTREME Member
    edited July 2013

i can ,but u need to pay for it .because we cant provide a vps for few hours because when we create a vps we are getting one ip by paying for 3months ,so it may damage our company so .better get a paid small plan and try , if u need any help let me know i can help u any time

• You know what, I am going to trust you and give you a vps for a few days to review. I don't have clout to make any one else trust you here but I know we all start somewhere so later when I get up I will make a promo code for you.

I am writing this from bed so it will be a few hours.

Most of all, I wish you luck on your venture.

• DewlanceVPSDewlanceVPS Member, Patron Provider

@Deathstarr What is your blog address?

• AutoBlogTM

• @XTREME said:
    i can ,but u need to pay for it .because we cant provide a vps for few hours because when we create a vps we are getting one ip by paying for 3months ,so it may damage our company so .better get a paid small plan and try , if u need any help let me know i can help u any time

Whoa, the cost of one IP damages your company?

• The blog is AllAboutVPS.com - Not much there at the moment but there will be in a few weeks.

• @Holoshed Just send me a PM with it. I will give you an eta when I will be done, I will not start until I have the time to finish, So give me a few days to register.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I like to see people doing what they enjoy, but one thing that has always put me off these style blogs is that they post the same information time and time again.

A VPS is a shared resource environment, most of the stats that are posted are only relevant at that specific point in time.

I would love to see someone set up a blog that runs some real world testing with control points.

Siege tests, php speed tests, requests p/second handled, ping response from fixed locations around the world.

I suppose what I am trying to say is it would be nice for someone to take the time to canvas end users find out the top 5 most popular uses and then run control tests from the outside in rather than ye olde unixbench and dd, a unix bench can drop 1000 points because someone on the same node was compiling at the time and a dd is an indication only of sequential write speeds, what about read speeds etc?

I dunno, just spit balling :)

Thanked by 1DennisdeWit
  • Good idea but I'm still kinda new at this but I will work on it. I am not a guru in any means.

• IshaqIshaq Member

@AnthonySmith

I think this is what you're looking for? http://geekahost.com/db/show.php#.Udw3PkBIHyY

@Ishaq said:
    AnthonySmith

I think this is what you're looking for? http://geekahost.com/db/show.php#.Udw3PkBIHyY

Hmm sort of but not quite, it still gives me no indication how lighttpd copes under pressure on each server or what the random seek rate is against a standardised database etc etc.

• It's kinda hard to do that unless I own the node because some might look as I am abusing the server. I am not looking to bring down a whole node to stress test something. The test I run are just for me and anyone who wants to run on a good server. My reviews are not of companies but of hardware and mixes.

I am not really taking about using absurd settings, just regular, and the same on each target.

You don't buy a gfx card due to raw numbers if it when it comes to its intended purpose it is a pile of crap and a porche may have less BHP than other cars it seriously out performs I guess that's what I am getting at.

I dunno, if you were choosing a VPS for a front end web server and the numbers you had to look at from a controlled benchmark were:

Unix Bench Score:

Host A: 1247
    Host B: 3245

Sequential writes:

Host A: 102 MB/s
    Host B: 450 MB/s

Page load time:

Host A: 0.7 seconds
    Host B: 1.2 seconds

Requests handled p/second:

Host A: 847
    Host B: 321

Based on the first 2 sets of information you would pick Host B, but based on actual usable real world data for applied server use you would pick Host A every time.

Just to be clear, I like the feel of your blog, the information is well presented, I suppose I am getting off topic somewhat with what I would like to see rather than what I do see over and over again :)