Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advice needed on which to keep (VPS vs. dedicated server)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Advice needed on which to keep (VPS vs. dedicated server)

Hello. I hope that you experts can help me with a choice. I'm currently using the following VPS:

4 dedicated cores of E5-2670
16GB RAM
130GB SSD
4TB bw on a shared 1 gigabit network

I am generally happy with the VPS. Network is fine, performance is fine, would love a bit more storage and I feel the thrill for a dedicated server.

So..yesterday I was browsing the Kimsufi website and saw a KS-9 available. I grabbed it to take a look at it.

W3520, 4c/8t
16GB RAM
2x240GB SSD (RAID 1)
Unmetered 100mbit

I would pay 3EUR/month more for the Kimsufi. To me the upgrade looks like a no brainer, but I am also not that experienced. For example, CPU has 2x cores but Geekbench multi score favors the VPS and its more recent CPU. Yet Unixbench is not far distant from it. Not sure what to make of these numbers. But I understand that the difference in IOPS would matter more.

I would love to read your opinion about this potential upgrade.

Here are some benchmarks I run.

VPS:
Unixbench single 1065
Unixbench multi 3040
Geekbench single 2950
Geekbench multi 9900

FIO rand read 631810 IOPS
FIO direct read 20280 IOPS
FIO rand write 383885 IOPS
FIO direct write 6260 IOPS

KS-9:
Unixbench 910 single
Unixbench 3420 multi
Geekbench single 2360
Geekbench multi 7910

FIO rand read 646875 IOPS
FIO direct read 48615 IOPS
FIO rand write 455300 IOPS
FIO direct write 47160 IOPS

Extra question: as the apps I am hosting are not that mission critical and backed up frequently, should I opt for RAID 0 for even more write performance and double storage?

Thank you for your help.

Comments

• eoleol Member

I think you can't really compare a VPS with a dedicated server, no matter the age.

Thanked by 1Janevski
  • If 3 EUR a monh is nothing big for you - go for kimsufi

Thanked by 1yaxewenaj
  • @eol said:
    I think you can't really compare a VPS with a dedicated server, no matter the age.

Does this mean that dedi is better anyway?

• eoleol Member

@yaxewenaj said:

@eol said:

Does this mean that dedi is better anyway?

Of course it is.

Thanked by 1yaxewenaj
  • i can tell you when a kvm vps is better than a dedicated.

when a kvm vps has better/more:

• same or more dedicated cores
    • 2x or 3x ram
    • fast ssd or hdd
    • 1Gbps or more network
    • 30 minute or less support reply
    • price is almost same
    • fast geekbench
    • you got the offer in a discount from a well know provider.
    • has great reviews and been in inductry long time
    • a know or custom slick cp
    • any female live chat support is a + / j/k

this is just some of the when a kvm vps is better than a dedicated.

Thanked by 1yaxewenaj
  • eoleol Member

@ehab said:
    i can tell you when a kvm vps is better than a dedicated.

when a kvm vps has better/more:

• same or more dedicated cores
    • 2x or 3x ram
    • fast ssd or hdd
    • 1Gbps or more network
    • 30 minute or less support reply
    • price is almost same
    • fast geekbench
    • you got the offer in a discount from a well know provider.
    • has great reviews and been in inductry long time
    • a know or custom slick cp
    • any female live chat support is a + / j/k

this is just some of the when a kvm vps is better than a dedicated.

I don't agree but that's just my opinion.
    Bare-metal > everything else.

• eol , i give you example

an atom cpu dedicated or modren 4 dedicated core kvm vps

which will you choose?

Thanked by 2Falzo Ympker
  • eoleol Member
    edited January 2019

@ehab said:
    eol , i give you example

which will you choose?

Atom.

EDIT2:
    I would probably save up for an E3 at least though.

• why? i mean for general purpose usage not idle or backup etc ...

• @ehab said:
    eol , i give you example

which will you choose?

What about my case, where the dedi CPU is not modern and slightly weaker than the 4 dedicated cores of the VPS?

• eoleol Member

@ehab said:
    why? i mean for general purpose usage not idle or backup etc ...

I want to be alone on that particular machine and the freedom to do anything I want including running my own kernels on bare-metal and without shared resources.

• @eol said:

@ehab said:
    why? i mean for general purpose usage not idle or backup etc ...

I want to be alone on that particular machine and the freedom to do anything I want including running my own kernels on bare-metal and without shared resources.

This is also a bit of my itch for a dedi that I mentioned.

Thanked by 1eol
  • heavily depends on your use case and comes down to your needs in regards of CPU usage+bandwidth requirements vs size and speed of SSD.

if you need more space but don't use much cpu at all and can live with 100MBit port speed go with the KS. if your cpu is already in frequent use and you need to be able to burst on the network connection stick with the VPS and try to cleanup disk-space ;-)

don't use raid-0.

Thanked by 2ehab yaxewenaj
  • @yaxewenaj said:
    bit of my itch for a dedi

be warned, if you hang around LET the itch will grow into a habbit and it gets worse in special occasions. and you will be stuck..

Thanked by 2yaxewenaj saibal
  • Hello @yaxewenaj, in my opinion if Kimsufi's 100MBit speed is enough for you then go for the KS-9. You'll have a dedicated resources and the array of SSD shall minimize downtime in case of a failure. Kimsufi has good server monitoring and when they detect a hardware failure they change the bad part in less than 1 hour.

To help you decide, why don't try your site in both boxes?

• Wait until they put a few noisy neighbors alongside your container then you might notice a real difference between VPS vs DS.

Thanked by 2JohnMiller92 eol
  • If you have noisy neighbors, provider does nothing most of the time. Go dedicated

Thanked by 2eol uptime
  • nosey neighbors also a possibility, maybe something to consider as well.

Thanked by 1eol
  • I will go with dedicated server for sure.

Because VPS sometime out of your control...such as your neighbors overuse the resources , CPU etc....

And for dedicated you can control it from your end and please make sure you will find 7X24 support and reply ticket may be 1-2 hours.....Because i found another one it took 5 hours for single reboot....

• eoleol Member

shutdown -r now?

• WLISWLIS Member, Host Rep

you'll always get more out of a dedicated server, more reliable and you're not affected by any other user. Like a few comments state, wait till you get some bad users on the same vps container and you'll start seeing problems. Dedicated is all you

• JanevskiJanevski Member
    edited January 2019

Dedicated.

The thing is, even the weakest dedicated you can continuously, 24/7, abuse far more than any VPS, in terms of CPU uilization and disk I/O, without somebody terminating your account for excessive resource usage, or feeling the need to be snooping around your stuff, looking for something suspicious.

Thanked by 1eol
  • The nice thing about dedicated is you don't worry about maxing out resources for long periods of time.

When it comes to cost effectiveness, consider how hosting providers divide up dedicated resources for VPS users. Add on top the overheard of customer service for more people.

Consider if you were using 10% of CPU cycles or available disk IO... some VPS providers might consider it excessive, bearing in mind all the other users sharing those resources. All other things being equal, unless your dedi costs 10x more... it's better value.

dedicated just saves bullshit. a VPS is good when you can squeeze some perf out of limited resources and money.

• uptimeuptime Member
    edited January 2019

All other things being equal (which is rarely the case) VPS makes most sense to use for something like a low-budget, low-traffic webserver - where I usually just want occasional bursts of fast CPU for a few seconds here and there.

if I expect to need anything more than that then I might consider using VPS with (semi) dedicated core - but that still probably won't be optimal if I need much in the way of sustained disk i/o.

A cheap dedi, even with a slower CPU, is usually a more cost-effective source of computational torque. Some minor tradeoffs in terms of convenience for setup (if I want raid storage for example) but that don't make no nevermind to me ...

• Thank you all. I will test whether the 100mbit connection is sufficient (it should be) and keep the dedi.

Thanked by 2eol uptime