Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Your opinion on lowendguide.com - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Your opinion on lowendguide.com

2»

Comments

• SpiritSpirit Member

@DennisdeWit said:
    MikHo: Camtasia Studio by CamSmith?

by techsmith ;-)

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2013

@jcaleb said:
    Coments/suggestions:

• I like the disclaimer.
    • contact so we can ping you and request for tutorials.
    • home page seems not many tutorial. but when you click pages on top right, then you will discover other good articles. i prefer to see most in home so i know this is a good site.

I want to request a guide to setup a mailserver on a 128mb. First basic one. Then maybe second tutorial is to put GUI (e.g. administration gui, then webmail gui).

Thanks for the comments!

The disclaimer is thanks to Raymii.
    Home page needs some work on, a small text that you should use the menu on the left or top right options to find more would be enough. Some other changes should also be done.

Contact form was published on the old theme but got lost when I changed themes.
    Current contact options are:

• Twitter
    • Facebook
    • PM (here, lowendspirit or on vpsboard)
    • IRC (after request in this thread), it's #lowendguide on Freenode.

Finally a small question....
    I have, after each post links to 3 "similar" posts. Would you rather these should be with images or without? Images draws more attention to them?!

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited July 2013

@MikHo said:
    I have, after each post links to 3 "similar" posts. Would you rather these should be with images or without? Images draws more attention to them?!

For me, definitely without image. Good title is more important so I know if this is something useful to what I'm looking for.

But human mind is complex. I remember there is a milk-tea store near my office, and their milk tea is not good, just average taste. But I keep buying milk tea from them every week because they have a huge poster of a cow with many breasts oozing with milk. It makes me think yummy. Then I discovered some of my colleagues were also buying from them just because of the poster, and not the taste of the product.

But I don't know how you can make a sysadmin tutorial yummy like a cow's milk.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

Another comment:

Make tutorials with a TLDR twist. The TLDR version is written with a companion script. Because most sysadmin stuff is something you will use so many times. And it's 2013, people are lazy.

For example, if you write a how to install mail server, you can do yada yada these are the steps. Then at the end, have a script and say... just fill up the config at the top and run bash ./install-mail-server.sh and you're done!

Thanked by 1dedicados
  • marcmmarcm Member

@MikHo I like it :) It's neat, clean, easy to navigate and read. I would also like to purchase an ad if you can squeeze us in ;-)

@marcm said:
    MikHo I like it :) It's neat, clean, easy to navigate and read. I would also like to purchase an ad if you can squeeze us in ;-)

Link for buying adspace: http://buysellads.com/buy/detail/171959
    As you can see it's currently sold out and I'm not ready to increase the number of ads on the site, no need to clutter it up more.

Perhaps sometime in the future I will add more spots and rotate among the ads but I need more visitors so those who bought a spot get their moneys worth.

Still looking for people who are willing to add content.

• @MikHo Have not spent as much time there as I want to-Real busy right now. But I like it a lot, layout, design, content.

I think it all gets an A++, domain name is great, I really hope it does well.

@natestamm said:
    MikHo Have not spent as much time there as I want to-Real busy right now. But I like it a lot, layout, design, content.

I think it all gets an A++, domain name is great, I really hope it does well.

Thank you for the kind words!
    You should follow on Twitter or Like the Facebook page to keep updated.
    Added another guide a few minutes ago.

• @MikHo I will do that right now. Even though your Avatar freaks me out.

It should :) It's from "the ring"

• I know it's one of my favorites. But even scarier because there really is a tape-but it's "underground" for now..

Just giving a heads up that i posted an alternative to installing exim.

http://www.lowendguide.com/3/email/low-memory-usage-smtp-send-only/

• emgemg Veteran

I am loathe to comment, but want to help, so here goes:

• Who is the target audience? Does the site address their needs?
      The current set of posts are way too advanced for those who are new to VPSs and Linux. You can't satisfy everyone. Decide who your target audience is, document it, and provide links to alternative websites for those who are too inexperienced or too advanced for what you intend to provide.

• What does the website do that is unique and special?
      Decide what makes this website compelling and unique and different. Focus on that, and cut out anything that doesn't further those goals. So far, it looks like just another hodgepodge of tutorials. Sorry, but there are lots of those websites all over the Internet.

• This is a random collection of tutorials with significant holes.
      Once you know your target audience and their needs, you can identify what you have and what is missing. Take the time to develop the big-picture structure of your future website, and then create placeholders for necessary posts that do not exist. The placeholders will signal to new visitors where the gaps are (so they can search elsewhere) and to encourage contributors to fill them.

• Don't reinvent the wheel.
      As I said above, there lots of tutorials already on the Internet. Are the tutorials on your website unique and special? Are they so much better than what is already out there? Otherwise, be gracious and provide a link to a superior tutorial elsewhere on the Internet. Of course, the posts on your website represent a lot of hard work from you and your contributors. Nonetheless, if you are serious about what your website stands for and maintaining high standards and quality, it doesn't make sense to post them for vanity's sake alone.

• How does a user decide which posts apply to their needs?
      In its current state, the website expects the user to be sufficiently advanced to know which tutorial applies to them.

I hope I have not been too harsh or abrasive, but I hope that this honest and frank assessment helps.

@emg said:
    I am loathe to comment, but want to help, so here goes:
    I hope I have not been too harsh or abrasive, but I hope that this honest and frank assessment helps.

Honest and detailed feedback is always appreciated and I'll try to answer as good as I can.

@emg said:

• Who is the target audience? Does the site address their needs?
      The current set of posts are way too advanced for those who are new to VPSs and Linux. You can't satisfy everyone. Decide who your target audience is, document it, and provide links to alternative websites for those who are too inexperienced or too advanced for what you intend to provide.

The site is still young and the content is still adding up. Target audience actually any intermediate user who wants another input on topics they find interesting. Another reason I write is that I find those topic interesting and have tried it myself.

@emg said:

• What does the website do that is unique and special?
      Decide what makes this website compelling and unique and different. Focus on that, and cut out anything that doesn't further those goals. So far, it looks like just another hodgepodge of tutorials. Sorry, but there are lots of those websites all over the Internet.

The unique and special part is that it's made by me. :)
    I understand it may look like a hodgepodge of tutorials stuffed into a website that could be a copy of many other sites from the internet.
    As content gets added, I hope it can grow into a categorized site with easy to follow guides for the general public.

@emg said:

• This is a random collection of tutorials with significant holes.
      Once you know your target audience and their needs, you can identify what you have and what is missing. Take the time to develop the big-picture structure of your future website, and then create placeholders for necessary posts that do not exist. The placeholders will signal to new visitors where the gaps are (so they can search elsewhere) and to encourage contributors to fill them.

I have asked both here and on other forums if there would be someone interested in writing tutorials/guides for the site but unfortunately that never took off.

@emg said:

• Don't reinvent the wheel.
      As I said above, there lots of tutorials already on the Internet. Are the tutorials on your website unique and special? Are they so much better than what is already out there? Otherwise, be gracious and provide a link to a superior tutorial elsewhere on the Internet. Of course, the posts on your website represent a lot of hard work from you and your contributors. Nonetheless, if you are serious about what your website stands for and maintaining high standards and quality, it doesn't make sense to post them for vanity's sake alone.

If everyone that started a new website or opened a new business was thinking like that we wouldn't have that many VPS providers in Buffalo, would we. :) Jokes aside, if someone other then me find them useful and from what I've read, some do, then I'm happy.

@emg said:

• How does a user decide which posts apply to their needs?
      In its current state, the website expects the user to be sufficiently advanced to know which tutorial applies to them.

I'll be honest and say that almost 60% of the hits are from search engines and I do hope that whatever the people searched for they found it on my site.

If you have any suggestions on either tutorials/guides to write about or other things to update/change for the better you are more then welcome to suggest changes. You can either post them in public here or via pm or email.
    send them to mikho@

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

Requesting an IRC server on 128 MB RAM guide.