Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LEGACY-03.LV.BUYVM.NET is down now. - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LEGACY-03.LV.BUYVM.NET is down now.

Comments

• @Francisco Happy festivus! Do you want me to bring you a pole?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@doghouch said:
    @Francisco Happy festivus! Do you want me to bring you a pole?

I don't swing that way, sorry.

Francisco

• @Francisco said:

@doghouch said:
    @Francisco Happy festivus! Do you want me to bring you a pole?

I don't swing that way, sorry.

Francisco

:-(

• Still having issues with the block storage. Sounds more than a FS broken but like an underlying device issue. My kernel says it got some I/O errors when accessing the device. So still waiting for Frans to solve the issue (if he's not asleep yet).

• JohnMiller92JohnMiller92 Member
    edited December 2018

Francisco said: Truth be told I came back from Vegas and was in the midst of finalizing things but ran into some annoying medical issues so i've been preoccupied with that for the entire year (still dealing with it now). It simply slipped my mind and bit me.

Hope you get better!

@msg7086 said:
    Still having issues with the block storage. Sounds more than a FS broken but like an underlying device issue. My kernel says it got some I/O errors when accessing the device. So still waiting for Frans to solve the issue (if he's not asleep yet).

I'll get a reply in a few.

We had a interesting case that I bet is the same as yours related to QCOW images. The image simply...didn't know how big it was. A quick fix, but it would make it so the user would see the wrong size inside of their VM.

Francisco

• @Francisco was transparent about the situation and was on top of the issue with my block storage. I feel like I should be paying him a lot more for the service I receive.

• tcp6tcp6 Member
    edited December 2018

@Xenos said:
    @Francisco I feel like I should be paying him a lot more

JUST DO IT!

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited December 2018

@dajiba said:
    I spent the whole day, and I found that my 500g of data was unrecoverable, damn it.

Restore from backups? You do have backups, right?

My VPS was fine after the power outage, but my slab was corrupted to the point where it won't even mount any more. No worries, I do daily backups so I just restored from backup onto the VPS, and will wipe the slab, reformat it, and move everything back once I've got some free time.

If you don't have backups, maybe this is a wakeup call. :)

Thanked by 2tcp6 eol
  • @Daniel15 said:
    If you don't have backups, maybe this is a wakeup call. :)

Quoted for truth.

Thanked by 3eol gestiondbi t0m
  • deankdeank Member, Troll

Backups are for pussies. Real men take real risks and shed manly tears later.

Be a man and don't make backups.

Thanked by 4Shazan eol Etonix t0m
  • @deank said:
    Backups are for pussies. Real men take real risks and shed manly tears later.

Be a man and don't make backups.

Condoms are for pussies. Real men take real risks and shed manly tears later.

Be a (dead) man and gamble with your life.

• Thanks all. The issue has been corrected! My data does not lose but it takes time to recover. I also got the 3-month credits. I use this VPS to backup other servers. I will consider doing a local backup on my computer for this VPS once a week.

• Irony is, This one was my BACKUP server :neutral:
    And, It had backup of few of my sites that I terminated last week. I was going go live with this backups on new server after this holiday. :disappointed: Yesterday, I was going to download those backup on my local machine, and this had to happen.

I guess I need to keep backup of my backup.

I know I won't get any sympathy here, But can anybody suggest a hosting provider where I can store backup of my backup?

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • @Ataurbd said:
    I know I won't get any sympathy here, But can anybody suggest a hosting provider where I can store backup of my backup?

Get a cheap storage VPS, or use something like Backblaze B2.
    https://www.lowendstorage.win/ is a good reference. Hetzner have some good storage boxes too, particularly if you want to store a lot of data.

• @Ataurbd said:
    I guess I need to keep backup of my backup.

Ideally you have a backup of the backup of the backup.

• tcp6 said: Condoms are for pussies

Yeah, use them the way God intented!

Thanked by 1eol
  • Mine didn't survive since the underlying device is gone due to some software bugs. I was offered compensation and I'm gonna move on and start recovering data from backups. Lost maybe a few days of data since last snapshot, but nothing was critical.

Also I'm gonna get a second volume so I can do a RAID-1 over it for extra safety.

edited December 2018

The main issue we've learned is QCOW2 is just a mess when it comes to larger volumes and any sort of repairs to it.

We've been swapping people to RAW's and have actually converted a few people today from QCOW to RAW as well. It takes a bit of time, but in the off chance there's ever an issue, there's no funny business.

As I mentioned, the power changes are due this month if I can help it, start of January worst case, so that rules that out of the question.

Francisco

Thanked by 1msg7086
  • @tcp6 said:
    Condoms are for pussies.

You want a condom during penetration tests to avoid SQL injection.

• First-RootFirst-Root Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2018

@Francisco said:
    The main issue we've learned is QCOW2 is just a mess when it comes to larger volumes and any sort of repairs to it.

removed some unnecessary beefy reply

FR_Michael said: removed some unnecessary beefy reply

I'll take my lumps.

Some of it was QCOW being stupid. Some of it was me being in a panic and not having a procedure list laying out what we should do when shit hits the Fran. That list exists now, but it doesn't help in this case.

Still, we're adjusting where needed and i never want to see a repeat of this.

Francisco

Thanked by 1eol
  • @Francisco said:
    ... when shit hits the Fran.

Nice one.

Thanked by 1tcp6

eol said: Nice one.

I've grown to love self deprecating humor :) I mean, there's a site dedicated to it.

Francisco

Thanked by 3eol tcp6 Aidan
  • TimboJones said: My question is, what does the network status say for BuyVM? It sounds like Buyvm didn't email any network status updates to the effected customers.

I got an email within like 30 minutes or so of the power outage letting me know exactly what happened.

• Some googling last night makes me wonder if the qcow2 problems affecting people here might be related to resizing the slabs (mine was resized at my request, and is corrupted now). Anyone have a scroggled one that was never resized?

• Francisco said: Some of it was QCOW being stupid.

My slabs weren't in use or partitioned at the time of the power outage, they seem fine though and my VPS is recognizing them - are they safe to use now? Thanks :)

• @sin said:

Francisco said: Some of it was QCOW being stupid.

My slabs weren't in use or partitioned at the time of the power outage, they seem fine though and my VPS is recognizing them - are they safe to use now? Thanks :)

You should ticket to see if yours are in qcow or raw format. I believe Fran started to convert people into raw, so if you haven't started using it, it's a good time to do so -- just a re-provision.

Thanked by 1sin
  • @willie said:
    Some googling last night makes me wonder if the qcow2 problems affecting people here might be related to resizing the slabs (mine was resized at my request, and is corrupted now). Anyone have a scroggled one that was never resized?

Mine is 256GB fresh volume and trashed.

• Only had to run fsck on my slab after the outage and other then some random sluggishness, no major problems since.