Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LEGACY-03.LV.BUYVM.NET is down now.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LEGACY-03.LV.BUYVM.NET is down now.

ersiteersite Member
edited December 2018 in Outages

Hi!
My vps is down over 24 hours since yesterday. I have submitted a ticket to buyvm but no one replies me. Does anyone have the same issue? I cannot boot up my vps!! It is very bad news during the Xmas holiday.

Comments

• You're losing millions. We're all sorry for your loss.

• Don't run production stuff on cheap VPS.

• Horrible news, let's tag @Francisco!

• ersite said: My vps is down over 24 hours since yesterday. I have submitted a ticket to buyvm but no one replies me. Does anyone have the same issue? I cannot boot up my vps!! It is very bad news during the Xmas holiday.

Do you have backups? If yes, spin a temp vps on a service like DO or Scaleway and be online in minutes until the issue being resolved, to avoid loosing millions due to downtime.
    If you don't have backups, learn your lesson and keep backups. No infrastructure stays for ever.

Demanding immediate response on a Sunday 3 days before Christmas for a ~$5 vps and opening a bash thread as your first and only "contribution" on LET, without even backing up your claims (e.g. issue to your own vps, not the node itself), won't give you any sympathy here.

Thanked by 2eol coreflux
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@ersite said:
    Hi!
    My vps is down over 24 hours since yesterday. I have submitted a ticket to buyvm but no one replies me. Does anyone have the same issue? I cannot boot up my vps!! It is very bad news during the Xmas holiday.

Do you have a ticket?

We've been fixing up anyone that got banged up by the power outage that hit the storage rack.

Some VM's did get hosed so we've done credits, rebuilds, etc.

Francisco

Thanked by 2kkrajk coreflux
  • First-RootFirst-Root Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2018

did someone already mentioned that the end is nigh?

Thanked by 2eol coreflux
  • @Francisco said:

@ersite said:
    Hi!

Do you have a ticket?

We've been fixing up anyone that got banged up by the power outage that hit the storage rack.

Some VM's did get hosed so we've done credits, rebuilds, etc.

Francisco

My ticket is #415734

ersite said: My ticket is #415734

I'll get a reply to you in the next bit :)

FR_Michael said: did someone already mentioned that the end is nigh?

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Francisco

Thanked by 3eol tcp6 netomx
  • First-RootFirst-Root Member, Host Rep

Sorry buddy, someone needed to mention that. :(

Thanked by 2eol coreflux
  • @FR_Michael said:
    did someone already mentioned that the end is nigh?

Not that I know of.

Thanked by 1tcp6
  • deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited December 2018

The end is not nigh because it's Frantech.

I pity the OP though.

Thanked by 3eol tcp6 netomx
  • LEGACY-03.LV.BUYVM.NET is up now.

Fran needs to name a node after me though.

ENDIS_NIGH_WAS_HERE.BUYVM.NET.

• F

Thanked by 2tcp6 yomero
  • @jvnadr said:

ersite said: My vps is down over 24 hours since yesterday. I have submitted a ticket to buyvm but no one replies me. Does anyone have the same issue? I cannot boot up my vps!! It is very bad news during the Xmas holiday.

Do you have backups? If yes, spin a temp vps on a service like DO or Scaleway and be online in minutes until the issue being resolved, to avoid loosing millions due to downtime.
    If you don't have backups, learn your lesson and keep backups. No infrastructure stays for ever.

Demanding immediate response on a Sunday 3 days before Christmas for a ~$5 vps and opening a bash thread as your first and only "contribution" on LET, without even backing up your claims (e.g. issue to your own vps, not the node itself), won't give you any sympathy here.

This is really an unhelpful post. The OP did nothing wrong, didn't slag the provider ( it's not a bash thread, learn the difference) and just asked if anyone else had same problem. He's not asking for sympathy, or advice from non BuyVM customers that isn't relevant to the OP's problem.

He didn't say he needed to be up in 5 minutes, just needed to know wtf was going on. I've got shit to do, I don't have time to restore servers and migrate people, unless I know it will take X long or its not coming back (hence why someone posts to determine). Every one doesn't have these super basic, 5 minute switchover and back up. That's naive. There's DNS propagation, for fucks sake.

Buyvm says they have 24/7 support. So expecting a response within 24 hours, regardless of Sunday, is again, reasonable. Regardless of price. If support doesn't answer in 24 hours, they are under water or poorly ran.

Turns out, they did have a big problem! And despite saying he had a ticket in OP, Fran asks if he has a ticket because they're dealing with down servers by ticket. So sounds like ticket backlog.

My question is, what does the network status say for BuyVM? It sounds like Buyvm didn't email any network status updates to the effected customers. But there should be a record of the affected servers with a timeline provided.

People need to think more about solving OP's problems and less chastising over bullshit (provider bashing, having backups, wanting support... fuck off if you're not going to contribute).

• @TimboJones said:
    fuck off if you're not going to contribute

Thanked by 1tcp6
  • I spent the whole day, and I found that my 500g of data was unrecoverable, damn it.

• Better than a whole pound!

Thanked by 2eol netomx
  • eoleol Member
    edited December 2018

EDIT:
    500g of SSD might be more than 500g of HDD.
    Or maybe not...

Thanked by 2tcp6 3606202
  • How many inches of SQL did you lose?

Thanked by 2eol coreflux
  • I lost 435 liters of tar.gz.

Thanked by 2tcp6 3606202
  • TimboJones said: People need to think more about solving OP's problems and less chastising over bullshit (provider bashing, having backups, wanting support... fuck off if you're not going to contribute).

Thank you, I am going to follow your advice and will fuck off.

(but I think that "members" with just ONE post telling about the downtime of a respected provider with a tone of bashing should also fuck off)

TimboJones said: 5 minute switchover and back up. That's naive. There's DNS propagation, for fucks sake.

Ah, this: somebody that runs a live website in a KVM VPS, is expected to have technical knowledge and a backup plan. So, there are plenty of services, free and paid, that can deal with DNS (cloudflare does excellent job on this field without the optimization) and an ip move will not need any propagation, it's an one minute job. And of course, there are several other methods for redundancy, failover etc.

Sometimes I maybe am a little bitter, but I get really pissed of from people just coming to LET with a single post with also a bitter tone to ask for attention about an outage from a good provider.
    But you accusing me not being helpful (when my knowledge can help), is a little too much...

• @jvnadr said:

TimboJones said: People need to think more about solving OP's problems and less chastising over bullshit (provider bashing, having backups, wanting support... fuck off if you're not going to contribute).

Thank you, I am going to follow your advice and will fuck off.

(but I think that "members" with just ONE post telling about the downtime of a respected provider with a tone of bashing should also fuck off)

TimboJones said: 5 minute switchover and back up. That's naive. There's DNS propagation, for fucks sake.

Ah, this: somebody that runs a live website in a KVM VPS, is expected to have technical knowledge and a backup plan. So, there are plenty of services, free and paid, that can deal with DNS (cloudflare does excellent job on this field without the optimization) and an ip move will not need any propagation, it's an one minute job. And of course, there are several other methods for redundancy, failover etc.

Sometimes I maybe am a little bitter, but I get really pissed of from people just coming to LET with a single post with also a bitter tone to ask for attention about an outage from a good provider.
    But you accusing me not being helpful (when my knowledge can help), is a little too much...

OP had NO tone and reasonable request looking for info. That's my point. He waited an appropriate amount of time and then reached out.

There was a post the other day from a guy pissed he didn't get an email after several days of downtime and didn't file a ticket or look at the network status page but demanded being told what was in the network status update already. You'd have a case with that guy bashing provider, but not this guy.

The provider wasn't bashed and you didn't need to rush to defend BuyVM when you didn't know the story.

Some people seem to give a lot of leeway to good guys. That doesn't mean they run a good business. It might actually mean they don't run a tight business.

Datacenters are expected to have redundancy and power isolation so that servers are not taken out in a storm. 24 hours downtime is what you see from the likes of hiformance (now that, you can interpret as bashing). I don't think I'm incorrect that there's been more than one 24 hour+ outage in the last two years at BuyVM.

If my providers of choice was down 24 hours without update, I would be working on moving services - permanently.

Lastly, you're really not experienced in diverse customer applications if you think the only impact of DNS change is on the server side. For the first two applications that came to mind, a full restart of the service with downtime would be experienced (instead of limping along and immediately working again if original server came back up). For an NTP server added to the NTP pool, their IP is given to the client. I still get NTP requests years after the server dying and being withdrawn from NTP pool.

But you'd agree, knowing when to deploy the backup plan really is based on severity of the problem and the ETA for resolution. You can't easily make that decision when provider doesn't respond or provide updates. Especially, if they are known for getting back up quickly, it's more hassle to deploy the backup prematurely.

TimboJones said: My question is, what does the network status say for BuyVM? It sounds like Buyvm didn't email any network status updates to the effected customers. But there should be a record of the affected servers with a timeline provided.

We emailed people an update on everything yesterday and informed anyone still having issues with their storage vm's to please ticket and i'll look after them.

I've been working through queue helping people with FSCK's and things like that.

There's been no tickets sitting for 24 hours without a reply. The only ticket with any amount of time on it is me assisting someone with a project, everything else is being handled quickly :)

As for the OP's ticket, they originally ticketed at 7AM and I got my 1st reply on them around lunch time as I was handling some other tickets.

The OP will be fixed and given a credit that I hope he feels is fair.

It's a lame ass festivus, but we'll figure it out.

Francisco

Thanked by 3TimboJones t0m loyd
  • PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep

Well this gives the whole story now thanks! Sounds like someone was impatient.

edited December 2018

@PieNotEvenEaten said:
    Well this gives the whole story now thanks! Sounds like someone was impatient.

No, I was simply asleep when the initial ticket came in.

The OP's not at fault at all, this is squarely on me for not addressing the 2nd power feed back in August.

Truth be told I came back from Vegas and was in the midst of finalizing things but ran into some annoying medical issues so i've been preoccupied with that for the entire year (still dealing with it now). It simply slipped my mind and bit me.

Francisco

Thanked by 1zed
  • PieHasBeenEatenPieHasBeenEaten Member, Host Rep

@Francisco You always own up to your mistakes and came up with solutions to those mistakes. But there has to be patience also from both sides of the isle. Well, anyways hope you feel better.

Sleeping has become a sin in the days of the internet.

Repent, Fran. Name a node after me. Then you shall be forgiven, at least by me.

deank said: Repent, Fran. Name a node after me. Then you shall be forgiven, at least by me.

Will do, when i'm in Vegas in the spring i'll put a "deank" label on one of the nodes, just for you.

Francisco

Thanked by 3deank edit2 eol