Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Your opinion on lowendguide.com
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Your opinion on lowendguide.com

mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Hello fellow members of the forum.

I recently updated the theme on my tutorial/guide website to hopefully make it easier to browse it and find interesting articles to read about.

I would like your opinion on the current state. If you visited in the past and remember the old look, feel free to say if you like this better or the old one was better.

I hope that if you reply with "good" or "suck" it would be nice of you to tell what you think is "good" or "suck".

Thank you for reading and hope I will get many comments.
I do still work on theme changes and some were applied as late as yesterday. More changes will be done but feedback is always appreciated.

If you find something you like and want to repost it, read this:
All the text on this website is free as in freedom unless stated otherwise. This means you can use it in any way you want, you can copy it, change it the way you like and republish it, as long as you release the (modified) content under the same license to give others the same freedoms you’ve got.

Site is in the title but here is a click able link: lowendguide.com

Comments

• great tutorials.
    I suggest you also take time to read the blogs from this one: http://www.slashgeek.net/

• awsonawson Member

A mailserver guide would be neat.

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • azzavpsazzavps Member

really good, some good info, well done

• NickGHNickGH Member
    edited May 2013

@awson said:
    A mailserver guide would be neat.

My friend @jstapleton is working on a mail server install script for debian 6 32-bit. I think he is done the absolute basic install and the admin script is basic but functional. He plans on branching out but thats about where he was when he last updated me ~a week ago. PM him if you want to try it out.

• PatrickPatrick Member

People could use http://www.iredmail.org to make life a lot easier

• NickGHNickGH Member

@Patrick said:
    People could use http://www.iredmail.org to make life a lot easier

They could use that or they could use http://workaround.org as I believe my friend is basing his around. Everyone has their preferences.

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

Thank you all for the comments

Asking again, is there a specific guide you would request?

• Maybe set up an IRC channel for everyone to discuss problems with using low end boxes?

Like #lowendbox #vpsboard #unixio on freenode? I'm there and so are "a few" others, ready to discuss.

• Like sundaymouse said.
    It would be awesome to have an IRC channel so everyone can discuss and talk.

• trexostrexos Member

I really like your site :) please more tutorials :P e.g nginx tutorials would be nice.

• @MikHo
    You should add some SolusVM tutorials that aren't listed on their website and that are needed.

@VPSDATABASE said:
    MikHo
    You should add some SolusVM tutorials that aren't listed on their website and that are needed.

Anything special in mind?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@MikHo turn them all in to a nice simple collection ready to plug in to WHMCS as knowledge base articles and sell them on, I would buy them, especially if you have a solusvm section in it :)

• @MikHo said:
    Anything special in mind?

Yeah, How to add IPV6 on main node so VPS may use them.
    A tutorial for it would be great. Tried to find one online and had 0 luck.

@VPSDATABASE said:

Well, for that I would need a SolusVM licens for sure :)
    Perhaps I should get something rolling, not sure there are providers willing to let me have a go at their database/installation. :p

• @MikHo Something like this I mean ; http://kbeezie.com/ipv6.txt

• @VPSDATABASE said:

It is allover on solusvm doc.

edited July 2013

@sundaymouse said:
    Maybe set up an IRC channel for everyone to discuss problems with using low end boxes?

@VPSDATABASE said:
    Like sundaymouse said.
    It would be awesome to have an IRC channel so everyone can discuss and talk.

You requested it and I created it, the channel #lowendguide on freenode.
    Join it! I dare you. :)

@AnthonySmith said:
    MikHo turn them all in to a nice simple collection ready to plug in to WHMCS as knowledge base articles and sell them on, I would buy them, especially if you have a solusvm section in it :)

Missed this one before :(

What type of solusvm guides did you have in mind? General usage or something more "advanced"?

@Jack said:
    How to lick a window by the look of his post/s in this thread.

That reminds me of this:
    Walk into an Apple Store after eating something that would upset your stomach, chili is suggested.
    Make sure you walk right into the center of the store and fart as loud as you can.
    Then walk out watching the employees angry faces since both you and they know they don't have Windows there.

• FFFlipFFFlip Member

@MikHo said:
    Then walk out watching the employees angry faces since both you and they know they don't have Windows there.

Snigger

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@MikHo said:
    What type of solusvm guides did you have in mind? General usage or something more "advanced"?

There is nothing advanced really imo from a user perspective, just a general how to per function, getting started, reinstalling, rdns, etc.

But if you combined about 5 - 10 solusvm howto;s with a bunch of your others it would be a great little package to sell for a one time fee and then a lower fee for update packs.

Suggestions on software to capture screen and make instruction videos?

• @MikHo: Camtasia Studio by CamSmith?

Thanked by 1mikho
  • jcalebjcaleb Member

Coments/suggestions:

• I like the disclaimer.
    • contact so we can ping you and request for tutorials.
    • home page seems not many tutorial. but when you click pages on top right, then you will discover other good articles. i prefer to see most in home so i know this is a good site.

I want to request a guide to setup a mailserver on a 128mb. First basic one. Then maybe second tutorial is to put GUI (e.g. administration gui, then webmail gui).

• jcalebjcaleb Member

btw, thanks for the site and for sharing your knowledge