Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much do you spend... ... on idle LEB VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How much do you spend... ... on idle LEB VPS?

Well it is the first week on the month again and I am going through my CC bills and Paypal subscriptions and I noticed that I have $96.30 worth of LEB VPS that I am not using... %#$@%$!

For some reason every time I saw a good deal here on LEB I will order the VPS, Benchmark the hell out of it play with it, reboot, logout and will only re login if I even remember I have a VPS from X Provider.

Anyone else having the same issues? Hmm maybe it is time for me to get a good accountant or go see a doctor.

Comments

• 96/yr or 96/m?? that decides if you belong in OP / CCU

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

I'm using all my 30 VPS :)

• $0

• $0

• Maybe we should have a VPS pool of these idleing VPS, where people if they need a VPS for testing purposes, they can borrow one for a 24/48/72 hours. I'm quite happy to lend mine out if someone wants it and they paypal me $0.01 for idenitification :-)

• geekalotgeekalot Member
    edited July 2013

@NRyder, I feel your pain. I had to make a table/spreadsheet by date to keep track of all the VPS's and payments ... I think I reached a peak of about 30. But, I have been slowly dumping costly/idle/ill-performing/unreliable hosts; including some I have had for 3 years or more!

@asterisk14, I like the concept, but unfortunately, don't feel I can trust the people to not (spam|DDoS|do something illegal) with donated idle VPS's.

On a more positive note, it would be nice if we could use the compute power from the "idle" VPS's for some kind of collaborative computing effort for a good cause.

LowEndCharity?

/back to lurker mode

• asterisk14asterisk14 Member
    edited July 2013

@geekalot said:
    asterisk14, I like the concept, but unfortunately, don't feel I can trust the people to not (spam|DDoS|do something illegal).

That's why I mentioned paypal and also would be good if they had a track record on here. Not someone that pops up and says wants a VPS to abuse.

On a more positive note, it would be nice if we could use the compute power from the "idle" VPS's for some kind of collaborative computing effort for a good cause.

LowEndCharity?

Think of all the electrical power that is being wasted, carbon footprint, hardware that is being consumed and wasted. I think @BlueVM said from his last promo something like 20-30% of VPS are idleing at any given point. You wouldn't leave your telly on 30% of the hours if you were not using it!!! That's one of the things I like about DO, you are encouraged to power off when not in use through saving money.

• We should pool all of our idle LEBs and use them for things like:

http://home.ssl.berkeley.edu/
    http://boinc.berkeley.edu/download.php

• Erm... I don't have anything in the LEB category... I spend $190 on a dedi that's sitting pretty much idle... $40 on a dedi that's running as @BlueVM's BNC, and $12 on a dedi that's doing nothing.

Oh my god... that's where all my money's been going.

• trewqtrewq Administrator, Patron Provider

@Brandon said:
    We should pool all of our idle LEBs and use them for things like:

http://home.ssl.berkeley.edu/
    http://boinc.berkeley.edu/download.php

We autokill these processes.

• @Rallias said:
    $12 on a dedi that's doing nothing.

how so cheap ?

• RalliasRallias Member
    edited July 2013

@asterisk14 said:
    how so cheap ?

mKS2G

• After cleaning up my vps list last year: 0$.

• Since I know LET, I spent $17 per month. Well, I can save my money, before that, I spent my money to shared hosting up to $25 per month. The funny is, I thought VPS was expensive. Thanks LET/LEB for introduced me to great VPS provider.

• bcrlsnbcrlsn Member

Under $5 these days. :)

I was normally around $30 a couple months back.

• trexostrexos Member

Atm only 3€/year on a LES VPS, but I'll use it soon :)

• pcanpcan Member

I buy mostly yearly deals; at present time I have $170 worth of unused LEBs. My previous lab environement was made of mostly unused low-end laptops and ebay-grade old servers that may or may not be in working order at any given time, so I consider the $170/yr a improvement both in functionality and expense.

For my lab usage, I miss a simple way to pack and export a virtual machine image; something like Veeamzip or ovf export on VmWare virtualization solutions. On KVM, Clonezilla is a somewhat functional surrogate, but it is still no fun to use. I have some VPSs that are idle because I will use them again in the future, but it is not worthwile for me to go trough the time waste of the "backup - test the backup - restore" cycle to save $10-$15.

@asterisk14 said: Think of all the electrical power that is being wasted

If the node is OVZ there is actually no waste; unused resources are reallocated to active containers. This is partially true for other virtualization types. Most LEB providers take advantage of this with the overselling, so idle VPSs are actually subsidizing the active ones.
    Idle dedicated servers are a real waste of power. IPMI could be used to turn off the server when needed, this will also reduce disk and fans wear. According to my experience on old servers, the downside of this power saving habit is that old electrical motors can become stuck when idle for too much time, so I experienced some missing drives and fan failures at power-on. This is expecially baffling on IBM proprietary Risc Power servers, because diagnostics are far from clear and recovery is a pain. Some old LSI RAID cards will also drain the cache BBU when the server main power is off for several weeks, so the cache will be initialized in writeback mode at next power-on.

• I have 20+ VPS, some are in use, some are idle.

• asterisk14asterisk14 Member
    edited July 2013

@pcan said:

I buy mostly yearly deals; at present time I have $170 worth of unused LEBs.

o_O Is that $170 a month??? You must be rich!

Oops .. you said year! That's not too bad.

It's the time that I spend on them that is the killer for me. Sometimes 8-12 hours messing about in 1 day. If I spent that much time working in my normal job, I'd earn ~$250!

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

$0 - I use mostly my own servers and Hostigation

• SpiritSpirit Member

Too many, really too many....

• awsonawson Member

Just a $4 Backupsy KVM.

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

Only about $20, although I don't think of it as wasted more like "ready for testing". Would be alot more if I included all the VPSs that are provisioned from my own servers.

• My servers are at least doing some small task, for those that don't I either cut them off at the end of the yearly billing cycle or downgrade if I like the provider. So maybe a few dollars a month are wasted, but hey it's subjective.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited July 2013

I am currently paying about $75/month (in total, for three dedis and like 6 VPSes). Among those there are no idle hosts, every single one is used for something. However if I really wanted, I could probably scale down to just a couple of 512 MB VPSes (aside from 4TB of backups currently stored on the dedis). Buuuuut... where would be the fun in that? There are things that we need, and then there are things that we want. If you want something and can afford it, then what the heck why not just go and get it.

• $2.50/Month. :)

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited July 2013

@Jack
    all from OVH :)

• France, KS2G Atom N2800, 2GB RAM, 1TB disk, unmetered 100 Mbit = 15 EUR/mo
      and specials from their "bons plans",

• Canada, Atom D425, 4GB RAM, 2TB disk, 5TB b/w = 119 EUR/year (regret not getting 2-3 of these)

• France, Pentium Dual E2180, 2GB RAM, 1TB disk, 5TB b/w = 119 EUR/year
      yearly, but I simply count these as "10 EUR/mo" each for my calculations.
  • ~30$/month :(

• Around $16 a month with Ramnode :D

• PatsPats Member
    edited July 2013

@Spirit said:
    Too many, really too many....

+1
    why do u bring this topic up... sniff.. sniff.. :P