Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS provider allowing Seedbox/Torrent ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS provider allowing Seedbox/Torrent ?

ico7livico7liv Member
edited December 2018 in Providers

Hi everyone :)

I just had a very bad experience with Solvedbydata. I bought a cheap VPS, and tried to install Transmission and other torrent clients (rtorrent, deluge). Each time, the service is killed few second after I launch it. I contacted the support service, no direct confirmation that they manage and kill this kind of services, just a reminder of their ToS (which does not allow torrents, that's right). As they wait 3 or 4 days before answering each question, when I tried to cancel my account, they just canceled it, and did not refund.. my tickets for asking a refund is pending for few weeks now. Anyway, I lost 10 euros, and I would never recommend their customer service.

Now, I'm still looking for a VPS provider which will not kill my torrents services.
I look in the ToS of providers on the main pages of lowendbox.com, I did not find one which declare to support torrent/seedbox.

I'm just looking to install a minimalist seedbox (transmission) only for personal use.
Do you know a cheap provider (about 12usd / year, or less) which accept it ?

Thanks a lot !

Comments

• deankdeank Member, Troll
    edited December 2018

Are you complaining about a host not allowing torrents killing torrents process?
    No wonder support didn't bother answering.

You are literally complaining about not being able to smoke in a non-smoking area and (mis)directing your anger at the receptionist being a bitch for throwing you out.

• ico7livico7liv Member
    edited December 2018

Hello @deank
    No, I'm not complaining about that.
    I deplore that they don't tell me if it's a script on their side (in this case, it's ok, i did not read the ToS before subscription, it's my fault), or if it's just a software problem on my side. And, in addition, because they wait about 4 days between each answers, and 3 weeks in total just to cancel my account, without refund possibilities.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

Why would they refund if there is no fault their end ?

edited December 2018

No, you are using the slow support (could be intentional on their part) to badmouth the host. But your ticket(s) appeared to be answered. Some hosts don't answer at all.

Their refusal in refund is justified meanwhile.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

All new level....

Try alpharacks or softlayer

• So you are breaking their ToS, but are surprised about them cancelling your account?

Thanked by 1eol
  • I'm not a customer, but I believe HostSolutions allow torrents.

https://hostsolutions.ro/eng/hosting/cheap-storage-vps

• @ico7liv said:
    Hello @deank
    No, I'm not complaining about that.
    I deplore that they don't tell me if it's a script on their side (in this case, it's ok, i did not read the ToS before subscription, it's my fault), or if it's just a software problem on my side. And, in addition, because they wait about 4 days between each answers, and 3 weeks in total just to cancel my account, without refund possibilities.

You might have just been out of memory or port conflicts or a dozen other reasons. You should have enabled logging in your apps. I'm not aware of any provider that monitors and kills certain apps, even against their tos. I suspect the problem was entirely your config and not them doing it via script.

It's an unmanaged service. You don't bother them with shit like that.

Thanked by 1inklight
  • Thanks everybody

@TimboJones : I tried to solve the problem, but did not succed. So I thought the provider was blocking me, but you re probably right.

@AnthonySmith
    https://www.alpharacks.com/legal/terms/
    Prohibited Uses > Torrent or Peer-to-Peer Downloading or Uploading
    Did you try personaly with them ? thanks !

• Have you considered using private tracker instead?

• Can confirm it's being killed by the host. There are quite a few that do this. They look for running processes with a known name and auto kill them.

Thanked by 1Chuck
  • Rename the executable?
    Or some hex-editor action?

• First one

Thanked by 1eol
  • Modify source code, recompile?

• Dewlance

• Digital ocean

• BuyVM, OVH, HostSolutions, Scaleway.

In other words, a lot.

• georgedatacentergeorgedatacenter Member, Patron Provider

@ico7liv said:
    Hi everyone :)

I just had a very bad experience with Solvedbydata. I bought a cheap VPS, and tried to install Transmission and other torrent clients (rtorrent, deluge). Each time, the service is killed few second after I launch it. I contacted the support service, no direct confirmation that they manage and kill this kind of services, just a reminder of their ToS (which does not allow torrents, that's right). As they wait 3 or 4 days before answering each question, when I tried to cancel my account, they just canceled it, and did not refund.. my tickets for asking a refund is pending for few weeks now. Anyway, I lost 10 euros, and I would never recommend their customer service.

Now, I'm still looking for a VPS provider which will not kill my torrents services.
    I look in the ToS of providers on the main pages of lowendbox.com, I did not find one which declare to support torrent/seedbox.

I'm just looking to install a minimalist seedbox (transmission) only for personal use.
    Do you know a cheap provider (about 12usd / year, or less) which accept it ?

Thanks a lot !

I can give you one for free if you wish, so I test my server who is there with cobwebs :)

• My advice would be to go with OVH.

Not only the peers in your torrent’s swarm have a fairly good chance of being other OVH machines as well, thus reducing latency and network load but OVH also doesn’t respond to DMCA requests should you ever get hit by one, it’s common knowledge at this point that [email protected] is a redirect to /dev/null.

Two other non technical points that stand out:

OVH hosts like 20% of the entire European internet, it’s unlikely they’ll go bankrupt the next day leaving you dry and unlikely they’ll run away with your doxx and your credit card details.

One thing though; if you really want to run torrents and push out thousands of GiB per month I would advise you to get a dedicated server instead of a VPS, yes VPS are generally cheaper than dedicated servers, however you have to keep in mind they are shared ressources, if you start maxing out (aka saturating) your port with 100Mbit/12.5MB/s 24 hours a day, trust me you won’t last long until you are removed from their hostnode due to other VPS complaints.

TL;DR: Go dedicated servers on OVH network: specifically Kimsufi dedicated servers at like 7$ a month with 2TB disks or something.

Good luck!

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@tcp6 OVH definitely responds to DMCA requests, I get at least one every week or two from people running VPNs and torrenting movies/games.

If the person is just torrenting new release TV series, then they won't have a problem on any host, as the new torrents for those don't get tracked.

• @MikeA said:
    @tcp6 OVH definitely responds to DMCA requests, I get at least one every week or two from people running VPNs and torrenting movies/games.

If the person is just torrenting new release TV series, then they won't have a problem on any host, as the new torrents for those don't get tracked.

We’re slightly going off topic here but I believe if you’re into new release TV shows or bleeding edge “0-day content”, might as well use usenet over torrenting anyways, safer and anonymous.

Just my 2 cents.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@tcp6 said:

@MikeA said:

We’re slightly going off topic here but I believe if you’re into new release TV shows or bleeding edge “0-day content”, might as well use usenet over torrenting anyways, safer and anonymous.

Just my 2 cents.

That has nothing to do with the fact that your claim that OVH ignores DMCA is false. Just want to share this so OP doesn't waste money then get his server terminated.

edited December 2018

As long as his habit of not reading (or at least skimming over) ToS is corrected, it's bound to happen.

There are a lot of hosts that do allow torrents and he happened to pick one that doesn't.

Thanked by 1tcp6
  • ico7livico7liv Member
    edited December 2018

@dahartigan : ok, thanks for this information, I feel a little bit less idiot :smiley:
    @eol : I thought there was a solution like that, but first, I do not have to skills to do that ^^, and 2ndly during my research I saw it was forbidden by the host, so I forgot that.

@dedotatedwam @corbpie @AC_Fan @tcp6 : thanks for your proposals ! however, I was looking for a very cheap VPS, as lowendbox often propose (about 10usd / year)

@georgedatacenter : hello, thanks, I contact you in PM :)

• @deank : I did not read the TOS for this Solvedbydata host, the first one. They forbid seedbox. Now I'm reading all the TOS from all the very cheap providers but I dont find any which clearly accepts seedbox/torrent.

Even BuyVM tell they dont accept, instead of, in reality, when you speak with them, they accept it. But the cheapeast plan has only 128mb RAM, which is too low for Transmission.

• I read several threads where people were saying that Hiformance tolerates seedbox. Soemeone here could confirm that ?
    I don't see anything about seedbox/torrent/p2p in their term of service. And their "Acceptable Usage Policy" does not even exist.
    https://hiformance.com/terms-of-service

• Do not only read the TOS, also read reviews.

• ico7liv said: thanks for your proposals ! however, I was looking for a very cheap VPS, as lowendbox often propose (about 10usd / year)

How much disk space are you expecting for $10 a year?