Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

about the trend of VPS sales
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

about the trend of VPS sales

The price becomes lower and lower. The memory becomes larger and larger. No SSD you can't say it's a LEB.

So in the next few days we will see 4GB, 6GB even 8GB memory of OpenVZ VPS with 10GB, 20GB, 30GB SSD disk, finally with 7 USD per month?

Comments

• We already have I believe 5GB of RAM at LEB pricing.

I honestly don't mind, more RAM for the same money! :)

• In real world use, shouldn't need more than 1GB. My LEB is 128MB and I only use 40-90MB, others are 256MB and 512MB and I use 160-225MB, but that's because I've not fine tuned everything, eg using Apache, running lot's of other stuff that's not needed etc... It would be interesting to hear from people how much of their 2-4GB VPS they are actually using. I would suspect for the most it would be 500-1000MB and if they are actually using more, they probably need to tune their VPS. I think there is a tutorial on here about running ~16 websites and wordpress on 64MB.

That's one of the reasons I feel that the $7 price should come down so we get some real LEB deals.

• I priced my 1024MB KVM at 7.00 for LET and may offer a little better deal if paid yearly but with more and more being offered for OVZ, well we already know it is overselling. For KVM I see some providers offering killer deals but nothing that I have seen so far that just was unbelievable.

I get a great deal on my hardware and IPs but I will not go to a level that I have no margin just to get some sales and I hope that people keep integrity on that instead of just trying to undercut others.

As for size, you can do a lot with less as I have multiple 512MB VPS of my own for different uses and aside from Windows, I haven't found a need for higher than that unless its running cPanel or something like that.

• awsonawson Member

@asterisk14 said:
    In real world use, shouldn't need more than 1GB.

That's a bit presuming. Different people have different needs.

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

Agree with @awson Try doing any form of statistical analysis for analytics on less than 1GB ram! Or a minecraft server etc.

Thats not to say its not possible to run a LAMP stack on 128mb, but it is impractical and easy to break (try slowloris :P). Of course this is without cPanel or any other form of bloatware.

Ive always regarded 512mb as a good default, all my sites are virtualized on my own servers and by default are configured as such.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

The only VPS I have more than 512 (2G) is for JAVA.

• I've had issues trying to run things like Magento or a Java app like Lucene/Solr on a 512 MB LEB. Sure I can get it to work, but not well for any kind of serious traffic levels. These kind of things seem to want 1GB or more.

It all depends on what you are trying to do. A lot of things can be done at 256MB or even 128MB with no problems at all.

• smansman Member
    edited July 2013

I honestly don't know how any of these providers expect to stay in business charging $5 a month for gigs and gigs of memory, hd, cpu. It's no fun bottom feeding and I can tell you from first hand experience that the people who go for the cheapest deals are also some of the biggest PiTA customers with the highest turnover. At some point something has got to give because everything about that business model is going in the wrong direction.

These guys are not necessarily trying to convert customers into higher paying ones either. I honestly don't know what they are trying to do besides shave razor thin margins and/or massively over subscribe which just creates more turnover.

Thanked by 1Nick_A
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2013

Well, this is exactly why LET/LEB/WHT exist so people can share a good find and reviews of other hosts.

Some might go for the lowest price at a loss, but that should be no concern for the customer, the customer should see if the service is getting is good or bad and spread the word.

The host may go out of business, true, but that is an accepted risk for going with such low prices and buying from new hosts. If you go very cheap, make sure you have redundancy and, in general, have redundancy for critical services, amazon or Linode are not infallible either.

• @sman said:
    I honestly don't know how any of these providers expect to stay in business charging $5 a month for gigs and gigs of memory, hd, cpu. It's no fun bottom feeding and I can tell you from first hand experience that the people who go for the cheapest deals are also some of the biggest PiTA customers with the highest turnover. At some point something has got to give because everything about that business model is going in the wrong direction.

These guys are not necessarily trying to convert customers into higher paying ones either. I honestly don't know what they are trying to do besides shave razor thin margins and/or massively over subscribe which just creates more turnover.

Stop projecting. Just because you failed with your business doesn't mean every provider will. There are legitimately good providers that are able to keep the prices low and not go out of business. Just to mention a few: DotVPS, EDIS, RamNode, Prometeus, BuyVM.

edited July 2013

The quoted companies do not go to the very low end of the prices.
    RamNode, BuyVM, Edis are in the upper end of the market and we have also many products outside of LEB area, from corporate services to Biz line and even OVerZold and now will launch the cloud which will probably never have a 7$ tier.

There are companies that have some free resources and can afford to sell those cheap for LEBs, and Prometeus is one of them, when we have less of those, stock disappears, as it is now, but will re-appear when we will have again the resources free (at this time is mostly time to work on it, we have the servers and all, but we concentrate to start the cloud one way or the other, and also rackspace is a bit of a problem, but easy to solve at least for a while).

A LEB only company will have serious problems to survive, mostly because of the abuse, not because of the sales, if you do not know what you are going into and plan ahead to have a big pile of cash for chargebacks, do not suspend abusers at the first problem because you are desperate for income to pay the chargebacks, if you are not prepared for Paypal to freeze your account every now and then for imaginary or real reasons, hardware failure, DC booting you, increasing IP prices, etc, any of these events or a combination of them will mean the end of your business.

As I see it, LEB only companies, either owning or renting hardware, need a very skilled and professional hand to keep them afloat, and I am not sure even then that Murphy will spare them.

• @awson said:
    That's a bit presuming. Different people have different needs.

No, the number one priority for people is a reliable service and that is where providers need to compete, not offering more and more ram/HDD etc. Like I said most people do not need a huge deal of resources for what they want to do with these LEBs. If they do need massive resources >4GB/200GB HDD etc then they should expect to pay a sustainable rate.

I'll give you an example, here in the UK, you can get up to 100meg internet. A few years ago, I was with a provider (VirginMediaUK (Telewest) and there was a survey that said ~70 of customers were on 2meg! 2meg! Most people weren't bothered about speed, they just wanted a reliable service. They hiked up my price, and I elected to DOWNGRADE from 10meg to 2meg. Why? Because their service was reliable, I didn't give a four X about the speed. What does it matter if my webpage loads in 0.0005s instead of 0.0001s. I will not notice a difference and I can only read the page so fast. That's why when it comes to VPS, BuyVM, Ramnode, EDIS are the preference for the most here.

TL,DR; we need more reliability NOT more resources.

Thanked by 1XFS_Brian
  • Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Our prices are low for what you get from us, but it's unlikely we'll ever enter the race to the bottom. I personally like making some money for my hard work...

It's really not about having the lowest prices but rather finding the right balance. I don't mean just $/GB RAM, but marketing perception as well. There is a large market out there who actually want to pay more because a higher price tag often signifies higher quality. I'm all about finding the lowest price that still implies high quality.

Thanked by 1NameStuff

@asterisk14 said:
    TL,DR; we need more reliability NOT more resources.

As it was said before, that varies. I do not need a reliable service usually.

I am renting VPSes for teaching people or hosting small sites and using the excess traffic for Tor/freenet, none of these usages is critical and the sites are not meant to earn money.

IF i need something with close to 100% uptime, I am looking at reviews AND make a redundancy of some sort.

Otherwise, the lowest price matters, I got special deals from urpad, budgetvm, bluevm, cvps, even with mixed reviews and was perfectly happy with them (except bluevm which didnt come back after a reboot resulting in many days of downtime before i was noticing it exactly because i dont run critical services on such VPSes but was very pleased overall with the network and vps in general)

I have a swedish special edis offer and havent noticed it goes down now and then, I dont care, only when other people complained i looked, but otherwise my services run happy there, with the occasional reboot.

Best host for reliability:
    Prometeus, Hostigation, serverdragon, some EDIS locations. This is from what i tested. All had occasional blips, but with 2 of them you make a very good redundancy scheme, almost bullet-proof. They are also established hosts that wont go out of business overnight.

If you need higher reliability than that, you are probably more paranoid than I am or you are running nuclear powerplants out of your VPS.

There is no host that can beat the uptime of a redundant scheme over 2 of the above mentioned, only astronomical chances to have them both down in the same time, and other places charge 10 times more with higher chances of going down.

While the resources needed, yeah, some people need very little, others are running game servers or superheavy java stuff, they do need the ram and CPU, some of the oldschool ppl would say that is for dedis, but today it can be done in a VPS too (with some exceptions).

• asterisk14asterisk14 Member
    edited July 2013

@Nick_A said:
    There is a large market out there who actually want to pay more because a higher price >tag often signifies higher quality. I'm all about finding the lowest price that still implies >high quality.

This may be true to a certain extent, but most people also know things have got more reliable over time especially electronics. Once people/corporations used to go straight to IBM for their PC's thinking they were higher 'quality', now they no longer do that, as more and more people realise price does not = quality and that computers rarely break down. This is even more on the front of purchasers minds with the economic recession.

@Maounique said :If you need higher reliability than that, you are probably more >paranoid than I am or you are running nuclear powerplants out of your VPS

I am currently using a service called sipsorcery.com, it costs $35/yr so is quite above LEB pricing. It is a sip proxy and handles ALL my home phone calls. When it started 4 years ago, it was flaky and this was really infuriating because it meant that my phone would go offline. Worse was that I would not know this had happened unless someone called me on mobile or I went to use the phone. It is now >99.99% uptime and I have had no real problems. But like you guys I am a tech-head. I am now using a 128MB LEB with asterisk for the same and MOR and it is costing me ~$0/yr and I am also learning about linux and asterisk at the same time! For me running asterisk I need LEB with >99.99 as it is a critical service I am running! Like you said for this type of service having a backup that you can fire up immediately is best, I do have 1 backup Digital Ocean server at present but that will increase to 2 soon. If we can't use our LEB for critical stuff, then they are pointless to have, we may as well pay a bit more and get something decent, that's where Ramnode, Prometeus, Inception Hosting would fit in, although I have not tried any of these services yet.

• I feel the same way as @Maounique regarding most of his points.

I host about 11 of my personal sites-my Tech blog, my personal blog, our family sites, and a few sites for a medical fraternity of which I'm part of. Before coming over and following posts at LEB/LET, I was stuck with Godaddy/Hostgator for shared hosting plans. I thought of a VPS because of the php limits of a shared hosting.

My first provider was MyRSK, and they had a decent plan with 2GB plan at a Czech location. I was with them for 4 months. Then, along came a UGVPS plan with more or less similiar plan but which cost much less when bought yearly. I bought one then, and a duplicate plan 2 months later. At around the same time I bought a Servermania, and Wills hosting plan. On reflection they seemed impulse buys.

Now I have 2 active UGVPS plans (which I might not renew if they still keep SolusVM panel down), a Servermania plan bought recently, and a Willhosting plan. All of them have 2GB RAM. My 11 Wordpress based sites use around 600-900 MB RAM at a time. I havent found the time or patience to read optiization guides. In my profession, this is the maximum time I can spend on a hobby. But these high RAM (relative to average plans nowadays) have been handy for my use, since I have no clue on how to optimize these on a 512 MB RAM server. But the price points of these LEBs are affordable and I have no qualms about paying for these.

I also have real LEBs, with 128 MB RAM which I use for 5 nameservers. I also have one or two KVMs which I bought on impulse, just for checking out what using a KVM involves. I have a Backupsy backup server which backs up my servers with adequate redundancy to bring back anything lost on my servers within a 30 day period.

I myself am not concerned too much about perfect uptime and reliability of my nodes. I am concerned about price, and usability.

• I personally like making some money for my hard work...

I like this statement.

• @joelgm said:
    optimize these on a 512 MB RAM

easier than what you think

• @duckeeyuck said:

Any links worth sharing regarding this?

@duckeeyuck said:

True, but the price difference between 1 Gb and 512 MB is a hamburger at most, some ppl like optimizing, others can do more useful things in that time.

And having more resources, even after optimization is a good thing, you wont get suspended when a crawler hits you and you finish ram+vswap forcing the oom to kill processes nonstop and causing a lot of load on the node, also due to the way vswap is handled.

While I admire the concept of minimal spent resources for the desired result, this goes too far in some cases, we begin to sell flour cheaply while the by product (tarata called here from the other parts of the grain) is much more expensive. In our case flour being the time spent to achieve the marginal result when we can simply spend less valuable resources for a better result.

• smansman Member
    edited July 2013

@MrMister said:
    Stop projecting. Just because you failed with your business doesn't mean every provider will. There are legitimately good providers that are able to keep the prices low and not go out of business. Just to mention a few: DotVPS, EDIS, RamNode, Prometeus, BuyVM.

I've never been in that business and never will be. So if anyone is projecting it's not me.