Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Low end support people
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Low end support people

smansman Member

Wondering where I should start looking for support people. My budget is extremely small. I don't know where to start. I know a lot of companies use people in India so I was wondering how that all works. Is there some website I could go to where people offer their services? I know about the freelancer websites but I was looking for something where it's more semi-steady type work so maybe there are agencies that do that?

I don't care where in the world the people are and hours could be flexible. They just need to be able to read/write decent english and know Linux and be available on some sort of schedule decided upon in advance.

Comments

• Post a job offer over at http://webhostingtalk.com. You could also post a position here. :)

• awsonawson Member

What's your site?

• smansman Member
    edited July 2013

@Jeffrey said:
    Post a job offer over at http://webhostingtalk.com. You could also post a position here. :)

I do not post on wht. Had a very bad experience with those guys and refuse to contribute anything to their site anymore.

I would warn anyone against posting on wht. Once you post something there you cannot delete it. You are also restricted in how you can change your account. You are not able to delete your account either. Requests for them to do any of that result in being ignored or worse, getting some unprofessional reply.

So anything you post there is there forever and you have no control over what happens to it. Little to no control over your account attached to as well even though they have no problem changing your account and details without your approval any time they feel like it.

So basically their privacy policy is a joke.

• @sman I have nothing to hide so I honestly don't care if my stuff stays there forever, heck, I never delete anything I post on the Internet. But, I would post a job here on LET, other hosting forums.

• smansman Member
    edited July 2013

@Jeffrey said:
    sman I have nothing to hide so I honestly don't care if my stuff stays there forever, heck, I never delete anything I post on the Internet. But, I would post a job here on LET, other hosting forums.

It's not necessarily about wanting to hide anything. Sometimes I post things that I would like to change later on. Sometimes circumstances change. Sometimes I have more information to add. It should not matter what the reason is. People should be aware that wht has no respect for their privacy and takes full control of anything they post on wht from the instant they create an account and press the post button.

It's not just me. There are lots of people who have run into the same problem with those guys and won't post there anymore. If you look on that site you will find lost of posts of people complaining.

• They just need to know Linux

Why? There are many VPS providers offering "enterprise class" services who have limited knowledge of Linux. Thank god for SolusVM. :)

I do not post on wht.

If your budget is limited I'd take Jeffrey's advice and make a one-time exception and post an offer on WHT.

• smansman Member
    edited July 2013

@DomainBop said:
    If your budget is limited I'd take Jeffrey's advice and make a one-time exception and post an offer on WHT.

I don't know about posting for support people but I have found that I have gotten better advice here regarding server providers. If anything I have gotten steered in the wrong direction over there a few times. Also read reviews of some of the same providers I was using and found them quite inaccurate. So I don't think I am missing out on anything by not looking for info over there.

Not sure what you mean about not needing to know linux. The support people are for supporting my customers and we need to know linux very well for what we are doing. We use Solus but host linux VPSs and need to know it at an above average level.

If someone tried to do what we do and didn't know linux well they would not last a month.

• WHT in it's glory days used to be a rather nice community, that was always active and busy. Now it's nothing more than WHATS YOUR BUDGET? WUT LOCATION U WANT LOL.

Doesn't help that the majority of the administration team probably doesn't even know what webhosting is.

• bcrlsnbcrlsn Member

If you ever need help with anything you can PM me. I'm very flexible with hours and have a deep knowledge of Linux, Virtualization, and Servers. I also can do some coding work and help with database administration where needed.

• I've heard of places like xesupport, bobcares, seeksadmin. Xesupport had really good rates for unlimited ticket support, iirc.

• smansman Member

@Zen said:
    "I know a lot of companies use people in India so I was wondering how that all works."

You pay for low end forwarding, pay them really low rates to say "This has been passed on to someone that can do something".

That is kind of what I am finding with Solus. They appear to be using people in India and that is what happens maybe 75% of the time when we open a ticket. To be fair, most of the time when we need support from Solus it's for highly technical issues that are usually quite difficult to troubleshoot. The India guys have surprised us sometimes too. Some of those guys are quite knowledgeable so I wouldn't write that option off.

• smansman Member
    edited July 2013

@Mitsuhashi said:
    I've heard of places like xesupport, bobcares, seeksadmin. Xesupport had really good rates for unlimited ticket support, iirc.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will check those guys out.

• DerekDerek Member

@sman said:
    I would warn anyone against posting on wht. Once you post something there you cannot delete it.

I must of had a different experince. They'll clean up your posts, etc for you if you report it.

• smansman Member
    edited July 2013

@Derek said:

I must of had a different experince. They'll clean up your posts, etc for you if you report it.

Yes you did. They flat out refused to delete any of my posts.

They were honest reviews and various other things. Some positive some negative. They saw it as content for their meat grinder and didn't want to lose it.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Stay away from XE - bad experiences!

• edited July 2013

(OT) We(Indians) are labelled as support guys . Frankly speaking indians are used to the service sector not may product based companies here.

Thanked by 1MikeIn