Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beta testers for hosted Borg backup services wanted. 100GB free space - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Beta testers for hosted Borg backup services wanted. 100GB free space

Comments

• m4num4nu Member, Patron Provider

@strmd said:
    Great work! Vorta already works very well, I'd love to see it handle local backups, too.

Local repos are now supported. Seems to work, but didn't have a lot of time to test yet.

https://github.com/borgbase/vorta/releases/tag/v0.4.0

Thanked by 1strmd
  • Impressive! I'll take a look in a few days and see if I run into anything unexpected.

• On macOS (10.13.6) I can't add an external volume as a local backup destination as they're nowhere to be found in QFiledialog. Any simple way around this?

Interesting. Maybe the QT dialog doesn't show them. They should be mounted under /Volumes, but that folder may be hidden.

I'll look into this. Here a new Github issue for it: https://github.com/borgbase/vorta/issues/20

• mmuyskensmmuyskens Member, Host Rep

Thanks for the invite. I look forward to trying your service.

Welcome. If you encounter any bugs, questions or have ideas for features, just reply to the email you got. I reply to every single one within a few hours.

• Why i dont have invent?

@Alexchina said:
    Why i dont have invent?

You should generally get your invite-code a few hours after submitting the form. Currently all invites are sent out. If you didn't get it, please PM me and I'll make sure it was sent.

• @m4nu said:
    For how long did you pay in advance? If you only use it for Borg, then BorgBase may be quicker. I used storage VPS as well, but it took too long to set up new backup users (even with Ansible) and monitor for broken backups.

For a year, but I use both now. BTW, for the Arch users among us, I've put vorta into the AUR

Thanked by 1uptime

Thanks for that. How is it updated? I'm currently pushing releases ever few days and commits daily.

There are also Travis CI tests now. I finally figured out why my tests were segfaulting all the time. Spoiler: Can't test a GUI in parallel :-(

I'm also considering adding Snapcraft packages for Linux, as this seems to be an emerging standard. Would love to hear opinions about it.

An early warning that I'll be closing the free beta program to new users in the next weeks. If anybody still wants free backup storage until mid-2019, best to sign up soon.

I'd also like to share some prices and ask for feedback. This is roughly the pricing I'd want to see myself. Just 2 tiers and no need to guess your usage in advance.

• small: $25/year for 100GB + 5 repos, $.01/GB thereafter. 30 days free trial.
    • medium: $12/month for 2TB + unlimited repos, $.005/GB thereafter.
    • enterprise: custom packages, deployment support and custom features.
  • Pricing sounds great. BTW, what do you use for providing the service? Google Cloud VMs?

• Thanks, just signed up. Looking to move from my 'premium' <$7yr VPS to something more reliable for hosting backs.

Thanked by 1bjo
  • axxessaxxess Member
    edited December 2018

I was curious to see your privacy policy which I can not find right now ?
    and second you website seems to load an image from localhost!

Thanked by 1bjo

Privacy policy is here. I should link to it from the footer. Currently it's only linked from the signup form.

The localhost images show up after pre-rendering. I'm still looking for a way to get rid of them. They don't seem to cause trouble.

• axxessaxxess Member
    edited December 2018

@m4nu those images make firefox show the warning "Parts of this page are not secure" thus not showing a green (SSL) lock. Btw any more invites left ?

Sure. Just sign up with your email and you'll get an invite code within a few hours.

Will take care of the image stuff now.

edited December 2018

Fixed. Thanks for the pointer @axxess . Also added link to the privacy policy from footer.

(sent out the next batch of invites)

• registered. I will test in a few days

• Can you confirm you meant 1 cent per GB? That's another 100 GB for $1/yr on top of $25/year?

If not, please rewrite your plans to be clear. If yes, fuck yeah.

edited December 2018

The price for one extra GB is per month in both cases. You're right that it should be more explicit:

• small: $25/year, 100GB + 5 repos included, $.01/GB/month thereafter. 30 days free trial.
    • medium: $12/month, 2TB + unlimited repos included, $.005/GB/month thereafter

The idea is to allow you to grow in a flexible way without committing to a 100GB, 500GB, etc package. I've always hated that.

Hope the price is still OK for you. I very much need to break even on server costs in the beginning. I care less about my time spent programming or working on related open source projects. That has always been fun, not work.

• @m4nu said:
    The price for one extra GB is per month in both cases. You're right that it should be more explicit:

• small: $25/year, 100GB + 5 repos included, $.01/GB/month thereafter. 30 days free trial.

The idea is to allow you to grow in a flexible way without committing to a 100GB, 500GB, etc package. I've always hated that.

Hope the price is still OK for you. I very much need to break even on server costs in the beginning. I care less about my time spent programming or working on related open source projects. That has always been fun, not work.

Price is still good. You should maybe offer an add-on for 10 repos. For me, I'd use it for backing up configs and scripts on more than 5 servers and not really go near 100GB. Lost a pihole on my home network and having to figure out all the dhcp reservations again was really the motivation for looking at borg for backup.

• It would be nice if the frontend/borgbase was available as an app/docker container to run on ones own infrastructure .

That said I'd imagine it would require some kind of license restriction/payment otherwise you'd just get people grabbing it and setting up their own borgbase service to compete with yours and that's not what I was thinking of.

More for people who either have a lot of their own storage, or need to keep it in their own datacentres for compliance reasons (if it's a decent usable solution no reason why it should be limited to the LET crowd.)

All good input, guys. Thanks a lot.

TimboJones said: You should maybe offer an add-on for 10 repos.

Let's just do unlimited repos for everyone. If it's abused, I'll restrict it.

dragon2611 said: It would be nice if the frontend/borgbase was available as an app/docker container to run on ones own infrastructure .

I plan to offer this for enterprise customers. But with strong encryption the compliance argument is less strong. And having data AND backups under the same roof will correlate some risks.

Which gives us:

Pricing v2.2

• small: $25/year, 100GB + unlimited repos included, $.01/GB/month thereafter. 30 days free trial.
    • enterprise: custom packages, remote client setup, on-premise deployment
    Thanked by 1TimboJones
  • I plan to offer this for enterprise customers. But with strong encryption the compliance argument is less strong. And having data AND backups under the same roof will correlate some risks.

Depends on the compliance requirement, some of them dictate the country and sometimes even the specific datacentre

• I've been using this for a few weeks and it is excellent. I had some trouble with the SSH key and the documentation wasn't overly clear. The only way I could get it working was to use the same key for both my repos.

I am happy with that pricing and would fall into the 'Small' category.

As feedback, more fluid allocation of the space to the repos would be good. I have the 100GB, but I have to specify a fixed size to each repo. Having a 'shared pot' type option would be easier, although borg may not work like that - I dunno!

Thanked by 1bjo

As always, thanks for testing!

vovi said: more fluid allocation of the space to the repos would be good

I totally agree with this and there will be a change to this next week (probably). This goes along with the more flexible pricing. I was to focused on repo quotas when first working on the project.

vovi said: The only way I could get it working was to use the same key for both my repos.

I'm adding documentation to https://docs.borgbase.com/ but it's not great or finished yet. Using multiple SSH keys for different repos shouldn't be a problem. I use 10+ myself. If you keep having any issues, drop me an email and I'll test it.

• edited December 2018

vovi said: I had some trouble with the SSH key and the documentation wasn't overly clear.

@m4nu ,

I have setup a ssh key, added that to a repo in your site. When I do borg init,

borg init -e repokey-blake2 [email protected]:repo
    Using a pure-python msgpack! This will result in lower performance.
    Remote: Permission denied (publickey).
    Connection closed by remote host. Is borg working on the server?

How do I resolve this?
    How does borg knows which ssh private key to use to connect to your site?

greattomeetyou said: How do I resolve this?
    How does borg knows which ssh private key to use to connect to your site?

This depends on your SSH settings in ~/.ssh/config. If the key is not in a default location, like id_rsa, you either need to add it to the config file or specify it explicitely when running borg.

For support it will be best if you just reply to the welcome-email you received. I generally respond quicker than here. We also don't bore other users here.