Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

better storage deal?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

better storage deal?

seenuseenu Member
edited November 2018 in Offers

Hello,

who is offering the best storage deal?

my requirement is very low anyways like... 100-250gb is enough and willing to pay yearly.

or anyone know good API to send backup data from gitlab ci to google drive/onedrive ?

thanks

Thanked by 1Xei

Comments

• I can recommend @mikho with his storage NAT openvz or @exception0x876 with his storage kvm

• XeiXei Member
    edited November 2018

There's lots of storage offers, but, I wonder who are at the top (for long term). What were the best deals?

Tbh, I sort of wanted those SYS ARM storage servers, hard to beat dedicated space aside being slow and ancient, I wonder if their HDDs are all near end of life...

Thanked by 1seenu
  • postcdpostcd Member
    edited November 2018

http://mega.nz 50GB free+pay for more, Linux sync tool, WIndows sync tool, Android sync tool.
    https://www.time4vps.eu/storage-servers/#biennially
    ...and there are many topics like this when you search

Thanked by 1seenu
  • @postcd i don't think mega has an API to backup data once everyday from server to mega.

@Xei exactly the reason i am asking....if we pay now and if they vanish in between it will be hard, because most of the time...i setup rsync and forget about these servers unless something happens to my first server.

Thanked by 1Xei
  • We have storage server deals this BF hosted in Dallas with 50% off normal prices recurring.

[email protected]
    300GB HDD
    3GB ECC RAM
    1024MB Swap RAM
    2TB Bandwidth
    10gbps Network Port
    1 IPv4
    /64 IPv6

• @HostDoc you didn't mention price :)

• @seenu said:
    @HostDoc you didn't mention price :)

£12.99/m.
    Discount code "STORE50BF" get's you 50% off.
    https://hostdoc.co.uk/storage

Thanked by 1seenu
  • XeiXei Member
    edited November 2018

@Xei exactly the reason i am asking....if we pay now and if they vanish in between it will be hard, because most of the time...i setup rsync and forget about these servers unless something happens to my first server.

Yeah that is my concern too. And I am not super fond of shared storage. Hetzner isn't going anywhere, they have a storage box line. I am not a fan of OVH but I do use Kimsufi as an alternative storage. I was thinking of getting crafty with Google Drive or Google One though. I've migrated literally everything important to large providers, so the rest is just because I am a hoarder.

There is also storage from HostHatch and some other providers on LET, but I have never used any of them aside BuyVM a long time ago.

• @Xei same concerns and this is my first time trying to buy storage server as a backup of all my vpses.

can you suggest any small or large providers?

• XeiXei Member
    edited November 2018

@seenu said:
    @Xei same concerns and this is my first time trying to buy storage server as a backup of all my vpses.

can you suggest any small or large providers?

A friend of mine syncs everything to Google Drive off his servers. I'm sort of leaning towards that atm. At least they would have redundancy. Really depends how much space you're thinking of using? I'm sure others here will have suggestions for you.

• seenuseenu Member
    edited November 2018

@Xei
    I am thinking of using upto 150gb but in reality i may not use more than 100gb

i have unlimited storage from google drive and onedrive and i don't mind learning about it (i assume mostly there will be an app or api for it like syncthing)

Also...i get a feeling that virmach started offering more and more storage on their deals now ... just now i have seen a 80GB one for 14.8/yr so i will keep looking there too.

• http://yourcmc.ru/wiki/Grive2 looks like does the job to google drive

• They have abusive policy regarding CPU usage, CI/CD pipeline would consume more CPUs if you happen to use C++/Java/C# like compiled languages. Using Google Drive for CI/CD pipeline needs network IO, latency is very very high.

• XeiXei Member
    edited November 2018

@seenu said:
    @Xei
    I am thinking of using upto 150gb but in reality i may not use more than 100gb

i have unlimited storage from google drive and onedrive and i don't mind learning about it (i assume mostly there will be an app or api for it like syncthing)

Also...i get a feeling that virmach started offering more and more storage on their deals now ... just now i have seen a 80GB one for 14.8/yr so i will keep looking there too.

There's also LetBox, Inception Hosting, UltraVPS, etc w/ storage offers. Tbh, I am not familiar with Virmach, but the offers are all nice IMO and even better now that they have more storage. I know people tend to avoid ColoCrossing, I've never used them before so I can't speak to the quality.

My friend runs backups throughout the day w/ Google Drive and he's never hit any limits. You'll have to look into that before using it if you go that route.

• @gks i don't want to do any CI/CD things in gdrive except storing backup files.

@Xei thanks for the sites.

• before spending much money, spend some quality time evaluating suggestions from previous threads -- try https://www.lowendtalk.com/search?Search=lowendstorage -- to see what matches your specific criteria.

No matter how wonderful the reputation and history of any single provider for reliability, I would recommend to consider benefit of using multiple "good enough" providers, and set up system to periodically test that restoring from backup actually works as intended.

That said, for my own relatively light storage/backup requirements I have good experience with the very affordable offers from Crowncloud (LA), Hetzner (DE), HostHatch (LA and Stockholm), Kimsufi (CA and FR), Spartan Host (Dallas), Subnet Labs (Seattle), and Virmach (Buffalo).

Also expecting to be similarly happy with current storage deals from AlphaVPS (Sofia) and Inception Host (Phoenix), which I have just purchased this BF but not yet exercized.

Other providers with decent rep and good deals I may add to my own distributed backups include BuyVM (Las Vegas) and UltraVPS.eu (LA and elsewhere). And I'm sure there are more good options that I'm not remembering (or don't even know about) at the moment.

There are horror stories that you'll find when doing your research. It's not always possible to predict which "too good to be true" deal will go wrong -- hence the suggestion to use more than one storage provider rather than count on any single "premium" backup ...

Thanked by 2seenu Xei
  • great insights thanks @uptime

Thanked by 1uptime