Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[ReThinkVPS] 30GB | 512MB | Unmetered 1Gb/s | $5.56
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[ReThinkVPS] 30GB | 512MB | Unmetered 1Gb/s | $5.56

[US] ReThinkVPS.com - Unmetered! | 1Gb/s VPS
www.ReThinkVPS.com

Hello LowEndTalk! My name is Sam and I am a representative of ReThinkVPS and I am here today to bring you this great deal for a low end VPS with unmetered bandwidth!

We are offering you this great deal for all of our VPS packages which will bring the price down to $5.56 per month. Our nodes are located on a tier 1 network in Dallas, TX connected to a fully redundant infrastructure to ensure you can access your VPS at all times! To get this great discount just use the coupon code "30OFF" when ordering your package.

All of our nodes are OpenVZ and connected to a 1Gb/s port so you get the speeds you should. All of the package details are below.

VPS 1.0 Package:

Dedicated RAM: 128MB
Burstable RAM: 512MB
Disk Space: 30GB
Bandwidth: Unmetered!
IPV4 Addresses: 1 (IPv4)
Connection Port: 1Gb/s
Cores: 4 (Shared)
FREE SETUP: $5.56/MONTH (After Coupon)
ORDER NOW: http://www.rethinkvps.com/vpshosting.php

If you have any questions please post them below.

Comments

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

From TOS:

For example, you can't expect a VPS 1.0 to push 3TB bandwidth/month.

So you advertise unmetered gigabit, but in reality people can't use more than ~10 Mbit on average.

• Ouch, advertising burst in the title which ends up being 4x dedicated.

• @rm_ said:
    From TOS:

So you advertise unmetered gigabit, but in reality people can't use more than ~10 Mbit on average.

It's to stop 1 customer saturating a full line, we have to have a safety net to stop other customers from being slowed down.

@Maurice said:
    Ouch, advertising burst in the title which ends up being 4x dedicated.

In the title I never said 512 guaranteed RAM but remember if you need more RAM the coupon code works on every package.

• @rethinkvps so you're not actually providing unmetered 1 Gigabit only 10 mbps

IMHO false advertising

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@rethinkvps said:
    It's to stop 1 customer saturating a full line, we have to have a safety net to stop other customers from being slowed down.

But then that's not unmetered it's clearly metered. At 2 TB/month, specifically. 1 gbps it's 657 TB per month.

Not that I would expect to use 657 TB from an unmetered VPS, but 30 would sound reasonable to me if it was really unmetered.

• rethinkvpsrethinkvps Member
    edited July 2013

@Nyr said:
    Not that I would expect to use 657 TB from an unmetered VPS, but 30 would sound reasonable to me if it was really unmetered.

I highly doubt any company which sells unmetered services would allow 30TB on a product under $7. Most companies which I know of that offer unmetered require you to pay ~$25 to get 10Mb/s.

• @rethinkvps then dont make false advertising claims about unmetered bandwidth if you cant do it

@rethinkvps said:
    I highly doubt any company which sells unmetered services would allow 30TB on a product under $7. Most companies which I know of that offer unmetered require you to pay ~$25 to get 10Mb/s.

I push 30TB/month of shitty bandwidth with multiple low end providers. If they have 1 gbps nodes, 30TB is about 50 sustained mbps, not really a problem since most customers don't use that kind of bandwidth.

• But clearly, @rethinkvps , these are not your reason to mark your service as "unmetered".

• @finlandvps said:
    rethinkvps then dont make false advertising claims about unmetered bandwidth if you cant do it

In no way is it false claims and we can, we put that there to allow us to keep our other customers from getting throttled by a single user.

@Nyr said:
    I push 30TB/month of shitty bandwidth with multiple low end providers. If they have 1 gbps nodes, 30TB is about 50 sustained mbps, not really a problem since most customers don't use that kind of bandwidth.

I'd love a link to their page.

@sundaymouse said:
    But clearly, rethinkvps , these are not your reason to mark your service as "unmetered".

We are allowed to mark our services as unmetered because that's what they are. We only limit transfer on people if they are effecting other customers.

edited July 2013

@rethinkvps said:
    I'd love a link to their page.

That was me:
    http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/289803/#Comment_289803

@rethinkvps said:
    We are allowed to mark our services as unmetered because that's what they are.

You should search on a dictionary what the meaning of metering things is.

• What happends when i buy the "VPS 1.0" plan and use around 5TB, will you suspend me? Even though it's unmetered?

• @joodle said:
    What happends when i buy the "VPS 1.0" plan and use around 5TB, will you suspend me? Even though it's unmetered?

No we never suspend, we contact you to see if that package is best for you and work out a deal if you wish to move up a package or if the client wishes limit the network throughput of the VPS.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2013

If you have a bandwidth limit (i.e., your 3 TB), then how can you think that saying unmetered is in any way reasonable. And for a 1gbit/s?

Edit: also, if you look at other LEB providers, most people expect a 512 MB RAM VPS to be able to use 3 TB of bandwidth (for example, RamNode offers 2 TB I think). With your unmetered label, that expectation goes up by an order of magnitude.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited July 2013

So it is clearly metered, you are metering the consumption and promise dire consequences if people use even as much as 1% of the advertised product.

• @perennate said:
    If you have a bandwidth limit (i.e., your 3 TB), then how can you think that saying unmetered is in any way reasonable. And for a 1gbit/s?

No we don't have set limits. We do have clients who use about ~5TB on a VPS 1.0 but because they don't bother the other clients we can let them go, people who expect to get a full 1Gb/s line from us are the people it is there to stop.

So at the very least you should update your title and post to say that it's "unmetered" but if you plan on using more than 3TB/mo you should open a ticket first.

• The rest of the section about bandwidth says the following

ReThinkVPS offers a shared connection, under no circumstances is one VPS allowed to slow down any other VPSs, if this was to happen ReThinkVPS will contact the client immediately to arrange some sort of solution. Since this is a shared connection, one VPS isn't allowed to slow down other VPSs. This is rarely an issue, if it does become a problem, we will contact the client to arrange a solution (move to a less busy node, etc). For example, you can't expect a VPS 1.0 to push 3TB bandwidth/month. Our policy aims to be as reasonable and fair as possible.

That is just an example and under different circumstances the limit is different.

@rethinkvps said:
    people who expect to get a full 1Gb/s line from us are the people it is there to stop

I asked about 50 mbps and you clearly said that wasn't aceptable. No one expects a full 1 gbps from a shared port.

• @rethinkvps said:
    The rest of the section about bandwidth says the following

ReThinkVPS offers a shared connection, under no circumstances is one VPS allowed to slow down any other VPSs, if this was to happen ReThinkVPS will contact the client immediately to arrange some sort of solution. Since this is a shared connection, one VPS isn't allowed to slow down other VPSs. This is rarely an issue, if it does become a problem, we will contact the client to arrange a solution (move to a less busy node, etc). For example, you can't expect a VPS 1.0 to push 3TB bandwidth/month. Our policy aims to be as reasonable and fair as possible.

That is just an example and under different circumstances the limit is different.

You've set yourself up here. Your title clearly states that it is unmetered 1Gbps.

You then have in your ToS and comments here that if anyone uses significant bandwidth they will be managed in some way. This is not unmetered. Simply drop the unmetered and I think people would have no issue.

Now for the RAM I can't see an issue as long as your burstable is not vswap.

edited July 2013

All you're offering is a 1gbit port, which many other providers offer, but without a clearly set bandwidth limit. Obviously you still have a very low implied bandwidth limit (apparently 5 TB was the max you mentioned) compared to what you'd expect from an unmetered 1gbit port (>15 TB).

Also, many other providers don't mind if you go a bit above the bandwidth limit but don't cause problems, which I don't see as being different than your service. Yet they don't claim to have any unmetered bandwidth.

Maybe you should advertise a 10 mbit unmetered connection (which comes out to around 3 TB) with 1 gbit burst instead. Or just remove the unmetered completely but mention that if you go above and don't cause problems it's ok.

Also the low price isn't an excuse for misleading advertising.

• @perennate said:
    All you're offering is a 1gbit port, which many other providers offer, but without a clearly set bandwidth limit. Obviously you still have a very low implied bandwidth limit (apparently 5 TB was the max you mentioned) compared to what you'd expect from an unmetered 1gbit port (>15 TB).

Also, many other providers don't mind if you go a bit above the bandwidth limit but don't cause problems, which I don't see as being different than your service. Yet they don't claim to have any unmetered bandwidth.

Maybe you should advertise a 10 mbit unmetered connection (which comes out to around 3 TB) with 1 gbit burst instead. Or just remove the unmetered completely but mention that if you go above and don't cause problems it's ok.

Also the low price isn't an excuse for misleading advertising.

We do allow for higher than 5TB just not on a <$7 a month VPS.

• @rethinkvps then dont advertise as unmetered VPS as it isnt unmetered.
    How hard is it to understand?

• @finlandvps said:
    rethinkvps then dont advertise as unmetered VPS as it isnt unmetered.
    How hard is it to understand?

Go say that to every other unmetered provider.

• Unmetered = Unmetered and NOT 3TB or w/e limit

• @rethinkvps probably the only thing interesting in your advert is unmetered but as it isnt unmetered you lose interest. People who need BW probably want to know what they can get in reality. You should remove the unmetered part and be a responsible host thats what people want; a responsible host.

• We will revise the limits and the way it is wrote out.

• datakodatako Member

IM SO CONFUSED. "512MB" and then I check... and it's burst wth? At this rate, the price isn't even competitive and it's straight up false advertising.

@rethinkvps said:
    We do allow for higher than 5TB just not on a <$7 a month VPS.

What? so it's METERED. You've stated under this $5.56 offer that it's UNMETERED but it's not... Get out

• @datako said:
    IM SO CONFUSED. "512MB" and then I check... and it's burst wth? At this rate, the price isn't even competitive and it's straight up false advertising.
    What? so it's METERED. You've stated under this $5.56 offer that it's UNMETERED but it's not... Get out

Stop jumping on the bandwagon. In the title I never wrote 512MB guaranteed, so the assumption that it was guaranteed is making it false advertising?

We are unmetered we have flexible limits in place to protect our customers from VPSs saturating the node.

• @rethinkvps said:
    Stop jumping on the bandwagon. In the title I never wrote 512MB guaranteed, so the assumption that it was guaranteed is making it false advertising?

Is it burst or vSwap?